1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would this be a good way to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JustARaconteur, Jan 18, 2013.

1. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all,

I won't go into too much of the background details here since you can find it in other threads I've started, but I've been having a tough time coming out. Last week I did dinner after work with one of my friends and had a good opportunity to come out to him then. At the last minute I lost my nerve.

Last night he texted me and asked if I wanted to go with him and his girlfriend to check out a new restaurant. I accepted and I'm bringing one of my really good friends, who is a straight girl that I am out to. I've been wanting to tell my friend and I know his girlfriend would find out since those two are super close and she's my friend, too. So, would it be a good idea to tell them both over dinner while I have my friend with me?

2. TheSeeker

That sounds perfect! You have support in place with your friend who already knows, and she can defend you if things go south (I doubt they will, from what you have said, but it's always good to have someone there for you.

I think this is a great idea, let us know how it goes!!

-The Seeker

3. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I think this is a good plan. Having the extra friend there is great for support. I hope all goes well. :slight_smile:

4. curlycats

sounds good to me. :slight_smile: have you already decided what you will say?

5. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds well. Good luck! Tell us how it goes?

6. shovelman

That sounds like a good plan. I'm sure things will go fine but if things don't go as you planned you will at least have your supporting friend there with you to give you some comfort. Good luck :slight_smile:

7. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGG!

Sorry, that's out of my system now.

So, tonight I went out with my friends and we had a blast. The restaurant was great, the food was delicious, and the company was fantastic. As my friend M and I were driving over there we talked about me wanting to tell my friend J and his girlfriend C, and come out to them. We talked about the game plan and how to approach it. We both agreed that telling them shouldn't be forced, but if the opportunity presented itself, do it.

Well, it turns out the restaurant wasn't the ideal environment for such a personal talk. It was packed, so with people around us talking it was loud. The music was also a bit on the loud side and I didn't want to re-enact that scene from comedies where you're talking loud over the music and right when a song ends the whole place hears me blurting out, "I'M GAY!"

Oh, we had good indicator signs in the restaurant. One of the TVs was showing a promo for Ellen (who is from here, actually) and then my buddy's girlfriend actually told us her mother (her parents are divorced) recently came out to them and how she was perfectly okay with that. She then added a few moments later she wished she had a gay friend to hang out with and take her shopping. I was like, Bingo! Still, with the noise, it wasn't the right place.

It then fell to talking in the parking lot. The four of us left, walked to one of our cars and were talking. I was telling myself, it's now or never, do it. Well, C said, "You know, we need to get (my name) a girlfriend. He's such a great guy and he needs a woman who deserves him." Hello! The door was opened! I had my speech ready and I start off.

"Well, speaking about that...," when J busts in with, "Well, it is getting late and it's cold out here, and I didn't bring a jacket. Good seeing y'all, drive safely." THEY LEFT! HE RUINED MY MOMENT!

M tried to come to my rescue by interjecting with, "It isn't that cold, just deal with it a few minutes." But it fell on deaf ears. Our little group parted ways. On the drive home M was like, "Baby, you were ready and were going to tell them, and he ruined your moment!"

So now I'm trying to reconfigure and plan again to see what happens. Do I wait until the four of us are together again, do I try to tell J and C by myself? Do I just tell J and then let him tell C or what? Ugh. SO FRUSTRATING!

8. returning

Wow. I hope you have better luck next time!

9. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would just go ahead and tell J. Then tell him you don't mind him telling C. Your story is kinda funny though, I hope all goes well :slight_smile:

10. TheSeeker

Eh. You win some, you lose some. You'll get another chance. One suggestion I would make is the next time you schedule something with them to make it clear that you have something important you want to talk to them about. That way, there's no chance they'll leave without finding out what that is... Human curiosity is a powerful thing.

Anyway, good luck!

The Seeker