1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution to the 'Exploration Phase'?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mariebmcd, Jan 18, 2013.

1. mariebmcd

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and a bit hesitant to post but here goes... I'm 25 and since recently breaking up with my boyfriend of almost three years I have become more open to the idea of dating women. I'm surprised and intrigued by this new interest. However, I am hesitant to define myself since I have never been in any type of relationship (other than strictly friendships) with other women. I am extremely curious and anxious. In an ideal world I would discover a 'quick fix' answer to my predicament. I really just want to know if this is a passing thought or a real desire which I need to discover through exploration.

Here lay the problem. I recognize that most gay or bisexual people would prefer to know how the other defines themselves before meeting or continuing a relationship. The problem is I am totally unsure of where I am at this point and I would rather not define myself but rather just spend time together to see if romantic feelings develop. How can I go about the 'exploration phase' if I myself am feeling hesitant and unsure?

Can anyone offer words of advise or experience that will help to ease my anxiety. I know I need to trust myself and the process of self discovery but I am anxious to 'explore' without being able to define my own sexuality... Thoughts?

I appreciate anything you can offer...

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't speak for everyone but to me it wouldn't make a difference.

Most of us have been EXACTLY where you have been. Very few actually just wake up and say, 'Oh. I'm gay!' Some people spend years in denial before accepting their sexuality (I hope I'm not scaring with that...for some people it takes longer but society is a lot more accepting than it was five years ago...so it's easier to come out).

My point is that you're far from alone. Most of us have walked the road you're on now. I identified as bisexual for a while before completely accepting that I was gay.

I hope this helps. (*hug*)

3. TheCatLady

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I can't offer any advice because I'm in your EXACT situation! I could have written your post, I have the same need to be sure of who I am because I don't know how to move in the gay community, I fear of being pushed away because I'm not totally sure. :frowning2:

4. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am wondering the same thing. I strongly suspect that if I felt comfortable enough to explore a relationship with a woman I'd be able to find confirmation that I'm gay or maybe that I'm asexual. But how do you find someone to explore the possibility with, without coming out? And how can you come out when you're not sure?

Sorry that I don't have answer, but I am in the same boat wondering the exact same thing.

5. mariebmcd

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parsley, that about pretty much where I am stuck. Maybe its easier when you are younger and more high school/college age. I am an adult graduate student and also working full-time. Not to mention, I am living in a new area...

Does anyone has any suggestions as to how to meet other people who might identify as gay/bisexual/lesbian?

Sexuality is so complicated. I wish people could just love people without everyone questioning their choices.

6. Incognito10

If you're unsure of how you identify, maybe you could try dating and going slow. And make it clear to anyone you date that you want to take things slow and that the situation is new to you. To me, this would be the most honest approach and would allow you to better understand yourself at the same time.

7. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel your pain. I feel that this questioning would have been easier in college or high school. I'm 30 years old and questioning now. I probably should have gotten around to it before now, but what can I say I'm a procrastinator. :lol:

8. renfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in a similar situation to yours and would also like to hear more advice on this. I've described myself as bi but have never been in a relationship or "explored" before. And though it hasn't really "worked" for me yet, I'd say you could try looking for gay hangout: social groups or similar. I'm in my late twenties and out of college, but sometimes spend time with my former college's gay group and most are a bit younger than me.

25 is not too old, and maybe you could participate in a university's or college's gay group if there is one. I'm not sure if they'd let in non-students or non-alumni, but at least in the one I'm in they've never asked me for a student ID or something similar, and when they ask if I'm a student I say the truth, and even the faculty counselors know about me. With the exception of not being able to do student-only things, like running for the group's elected members, I have been able to participate in most of their activities. It can be a little awkward, especially if you think of it as going there just to find people to date or have sex with, and since it seems you're realizing new things about yourself, you could go just to learn and make friends.

From my experience, most LGBT groups tend to be very welcoming even if the group's main audience does not specifically include your demographic.

9. Last Gentleman

Tell the truth. You are questioning your sexuality.

Nothing wrong with that. Some people may want someone stable for a longer term relationship. Others might just want a fling and not really care who with.

Just hang out with LGBT people and be honest.

10. GabrielTai

Most LBGT people are pretty understanding of those not yet comfortable or knowledgable about their sexuality, so if you find a girl you're interested in, just let her know what's up. Coffee shops and pet stores are good places to meet women, though it might get a bit awkward if you're just hanging round at the pet shop all day ^^; lol.

But yeah, there's no need to rush into anything, or to feel awkward about talking about it with people. Just be open and honest about what's going on in your head, even if it means stepping a little outside your comfort zone and feeling a bit awkward for a moment. I mean, you kinda have to step outside to explore, right? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I struggle with the same thing. I've just spent a lot of time thinking and over-analyzing every detail of my life to sort of come to the conclusion I'm gay. I haven't yet had that opportunity to 'experiment' though and be sure. I think what's most important is that you're just honest with yourself, and honest with anyone you date!

12. mariebmcd

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the suggestion Renfield. I have considered it however, I actually work as an administrator at the local university. I am also in graduate school there. It is quite difficult, although I have considered it, I do not want to mix my personal and professional lives concerning this particular matter. I think anyone could understand that. I know that if I get involved with this community (on campus) it will impact my relationships (and potentially my comfort level) with my peers and coworkers. Since everything is going swimmingly in both those areas, this is not something I am willing to throw a wrench in.

Where have other people found these types of support groups separate from the university setting?

13. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're not quite sure if you identify as bisexual/lesbian, I'd suggest simply meeting some lesbian/bi people and befriending them. Don't go looking for one-night stands to "explore" that side of yourself, since you'll probably be disappointed. A better solution is to bond with people, and see if feelings develop naturally over time. Don't push yourself, just relax and be accepting with how you feel.

14. mariebmcd

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi 4AllEternity,

Thanks for replying. Thanks for reminding me that I need to be patient with myself. I know I need to trust the process. I consider myself to be a patient person when it comes to dealing with other people, perhaps I need to employ some of that patience when I think about myself and my own identity.

I guess my next step is to find some people who identify as something other than straight. Although this site is helpful, it would really help me to connect with other people in real life.

15. if you have any friends you can talk to who are gay/bi talk to those it may help a little.
    if you want to explore relationship side of things and do meet someone i would explain your situation first. dont lie and say 'oh im gay yeah' or something that you may not be sure of because the person on the other end may feel lied to, you might be scared how the other person will react but open and being honest is the best way forward. someone out there will be patient and wont mind your situation.

16. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great idea. I find that trying to force any change in thinking on yourself is impossble, and just stresses yourself out. For example, I just recently began to get over a long-running crush I had on a friend. The first while, I tried suppressing any thoughts of him whenever they occurred, however I began to realize it was futile, and was only stressing me out more. I decided to just "go with the flow", accept that I still cared about him, but that I had to move on. Eventually, things began to even out and I'm feeling a lot better.

In regards to your sexuality, I'd suggest just calmly exploring yourself. Don't try and force a label or standard on your sexuality, just meet people and allow your feelings to go in whatever direction they will. There's no need to rush this understanding of yourself, and there's definetly no reason you can't be a member of the LGBT community (discreetly if you wish), just because you're not sure about youself yet. In fact, joining the community may help you learn more about yourself. Trust me, most of the fundamental realizations about myself I've made during this last year of extreme growth just happened on their own. I didn't sit around debating with myself what sexuality I was, what I wanted to do with my life, I just realized them. I realized I loved my previous crush (the first time I've truly loved someone) while reaching to set set my morning alarm. I was just idly thinking about things, when like a lightning bolt I realized something: I'd fallen in love with a boy. I was gay. It may sound cheesy, but that's truly how things happened. It just all "clicked" suddenly, for no apparent reason.