1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out as transgender?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shirleysherlock, Jan 19, 2013.

1. shirleysherlock

Hi, I need advice on how to come out as transgender.
    I've given several 'hints' to my mum, but when I told her that I didn't like girls' clothes and wanted to wear boys' clothes she just thought that I was copying my sister and asked why I was starting to get 'allergic' to girls' clothes. Can anyone help me?

2. Niko

You can try writing her a letter with past symptoms you might have faced.Um, if you are comfortable talking to your mom in person you can sit her down and have a talk. I wish I could tell you more because it really is tough coming out as trans; but my coming out experience was pretty awkward and I didn't have much time to prepare.

3. Hot Pink

Okay, let's be real here: hints don't work. We all try the hints, but hints can be rationalized away if your parents really don't want to know. The only real way to come out is to sit your parents down and be honest. Don't bullshit. Just tell them directly what you are. There's no "good" time to do it. Waiting won't make it easier. It will suck. It's like a band-aid. Just rip it off!

4. mothcaterpillar

I've just written a letter ready to give to my parents
    write her a letter or tell her about how you feel more directly (childhood memories of ftm feelings/ what you want to change and what will stay the same)
    maybe start giving your girl clothes to charity or other family members/ friends that might like them and replacing them with male stuff
    if your already in fully male clothes (about where I am) but still have girl hair it's time for a trip to the barbers and demand they dont give you a feminine vverson of the male picture you brought like thet keep doing to me.