1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it really that weird?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Jan 19, 2013.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not having a girlfriend at 21? The other day I went to this dinner with some friends of the family, and they all asked my parents what was up with me, if everything was fine, why I didn´t I have a girlfriend.... I just don´t get it, what if I just haven´t met the right person yet, what do they care. And then my dad is insisting that I should date a friend of mine, because he says she must be interested in me and all that :S

But do you, or did you get that alot?

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I wouldn't call it "weird" but it would raise some red flags. You're 21 and you're attractive and have never had a girlfriend. People probably already sorta know you are gay. I think you should just come out to your parents already...

3. photoguy93

It is weird. You're good looking, seem with it....no one "just stays single" unless you are going to become a nun.

I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to be honest.

4. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know, I don't think it's that unusual. I get that sometimes. I think it's perfectly normal for someone to be 21 and just not have met the right person.

5. alex408

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree about coming out, when you are ready, however. I'm 33 and I've been out since I was 12. It is a big step for LGBT people. Coming Out is a Rite of Passage and should be celebrated!

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2013 at 07:59 PM ----------

I don't see why this is weird or strange at all. Especially if they don't know that you are interested in men. I don't think your family means any harm at all by any of this. I mean it maybe that you haven't found the right person or it could be any other reason, only you know. I've been out since I was twelve or so (33 now) and my mom will still say things like when are you gonna get married, or when are you gonna get a girlfriend. And its all pretty harmless if you ask me. Try not to take things so personal and you'll be fine.

Good luck.

-Alex

6. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's a normal question, but they shouldn't be freaking out because there could be all sorts of reasons that your might not be dating, reasons that don't lead to being gay. And me, I do get that a lot but I always just respond that I haven't found the right person yet. Just keep it simple :slight_smile:

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The thing that usually happens is that straight guys that are single will still talk about crushes or the appointment of not being able to be with said crush.

When a gay guy is single then those things aren't voiced so that raises suspicion and people feel it as "weird" or not "adding up"

For now just brush it off, give an excuse and they should buy it or at least leave you a lone more often.

8. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think it's weird at all... if you don't have a girlfriend you don't have a girlfriend, it's not weird.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that all the time from my mom and her friends. They all wonder why me and my sister aren't dating. My mom always says, "Y'all are 21 years old. Y'all should be dating." I always say, "Well, I'm not. I haven't met anyone who is my type." But what I really want to say is, "Well mom, I'm a lesbian and Meagan is borderline asexual. Any questions?" :dry: