1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lexi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

I would really like to try going to church tomorrow...
    the problem is, i dont know which church to go to?
    Methodist? Nazerene? Baptist? Lutherin?

Anyone have any idea what type of church would be most accepting of someone just walking in? I've ruled out catholic, but otherwise im lost..

2. photoguy93

It depends on the Church. In my area, it would be "the church of home."

In my own opinion, I'd stay away from all of those. Can you look for a non-denominational church? Lutherans see religion a bit differently, but they can still be bad.

But yeah, look in your area. But I'd stay away from any of the major religions until you know for sure.

3. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    google "open and affirming" churches in your area.

4. Well, I've been to Baptist, Methodist, and the Church of Christ, although out of the ones I have been to, probably Wesley Methodist are more accepting from my experience. On the other hand, I hear that Penecoastal are totally LGBT-supportive.

5. Salazar

I've found myself becoming increasingly intolerant of my own Catholic Church over the
    Ast couple of months. I stopped going in September, but whenever the school has a mass I don't really have a choice. Most people at my school don't actually believe in god, so whenever I sit next to my friends, I make noises like they're catching fire whenever they say the response to what the priest is saying haha.

I don't believe in god anymore anyway, but I've always found Methodists strange for some reason. I do, however, like the stereotypical 'black church' type, with all of their singing whatsits. My friend goes to one and shes always trying to make me come, saying its good fun I would go to one of those if I were you!

6. Silvails52

Yes, you should look for an LGBT friendly church first and if there's one in the area, great! If not, just pick one that looks good. When I'm looking for a church, I don't look for certain denomination. I just look for one that feels right.

7. Kay

Kay Guest

I stopped the church thing years ago when they kept saying what miserable slugs all LGBTQ people are. I have no use for them or their god for that matter. They hate me in her/his/it's name. So whatever they are saying in there is not for me.

8. Mogget

Assuming you're in the US, the Episcopal Church is generally gay-friendly, as is the United Church of Christ. Quakers tend to be, but they might be a bit too non-traditional for your tastes.

9. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  10. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I am at a Pentecostal church, and they aren't really "for" gays, but they are accepting and want the best for you. (Of course, it all depends on the people and the church)

11. TheSeeker

I am atheist, so I tend to avoid churches because holy water makes my flesh burn and I have a strong aversion to crucifixes...

Otherwise I would say Lutheran, they tend to be very tolerant and have the best potlucks.

12. Incognito10

Unitarian Universalist, though they are not going to be as traditionally christian as those you listed.

13. castle walls

I have to agree with everyone that said United Church of Christ. I attended one of those churches and it was a great experience. The church was laid back and the pastor was a lesbian. Just check and make sure the church you pick accepting. A good chunk of them are

Good luck!

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been to several different churches. Baptist, Methodist, Jehovah's Witness, Church of Christ, and probably a few more. The least accepting ones I know of are Church of Christ and Jehovah's Witness. My ex-girlfriend actually broke up with me a few years ago because she chose to become a part of her church again; being a member of Church of Christ. But all churches are different, especially the ones in Alabama. In my opinion, Methodist churches are more accepting. I've been to several and they are very friendly people. But I don't go to church, even though I do believe in God.
    Really? Where is this church? (If I may ask.) I would love to show my ex this, lol. (Even though I haven't spoken to her in over a year.)