1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nowadays, How do movie audiences react to a gay kiss?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, Jan 20, 2013.

1. teluphone

I still hear people making those "ew" or "oh my god" reactions, don't know about you but i do get irritated when it is just merely a kiss, when it's isn't even supposed to elicit shock value of any kind. Maybe over here it still a long way to go before Singaporeans realize a kiss is a kiss (regardless if its straight or gay). What do you guys think? Do people still react negatively to gay kiss in media?

2. MerBear

silence is golden

thats how it is in the movie theaters here

3. Lewnatic

It's difficult to tell in a movie theatre because, for the most part, audiences are always silent so they can watch the film.

At home is different. My mother still says "Eww. That's vile.", and my dad hysterically laughs as if he's at a circus. Both know I'm gay.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

It's difficult to tell in a movie theatre because, for the most part, audiences are always silent so they can watch the film.

At home is different. My mother still says "Eww. That's vile.", and my dad hysterically laughs as if he's at a circus. Both know I'm gay.

4. returning

Wow. What's really vile is their rudeness.

5. Lewnatic

Well, to be honest I'm not so sure they think of me when they do it. It's more of a gut reaction to it, their brain has not had the chance to process what they've just seen in a rational manner. My mum has in the past told me "it's okay, don't fight it. I love you whatever you are."
    It's not like they're looking at me and saying "ew, you're vile!" I just remain silent if it happens and I'm in the room because I'd prefer not to open such a can of worms.

6. Lewis

It's not too bad here these days. People are pretty open-minded.

I must say, I cringe a little at gay kisses, probably because I'm worried about reactions from other people.

7. Lewnatic

This is exactly me. I don't find them disgusting to watch or anything, it's just more like "oh, of all the episodes of all the shows, they had to air a gay kiss NOW?! When both parents are watching and I'm sat talking to them?!"

8. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it depends on the age of the audience. The younger generation is far more accepting of gays and lesbians than their parents and grandparents. The bigger issue I have is that we hardly ever see two males kiss in anything mainstream, and when we do see same sex action it's girl-on-girl to appeal to straight guys.

Prime Example: I completely LOVED Black Swan, and a lot of my straight guy friends only talked about the scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis.

9. Kay

Kay Guest

i don't hear much at the show. It's really pretty quiet.

10. mothcaterpillar

my parents tend to go eww and look away
    for example 2 girls on holyoaks kissed today and they did it
    (holyoak seems to think to represent the population you need a at least 2 gay couples on a tv program)

11. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree 100%. I remember a scene in "American Pie" where two girls were asked by two boys to kiss each other so that the guys would be turned on, they did it with pleasure, and when the girls asked the same favor back, the guys were instntly turned off and barely touched each other. After the kiss, they were caughing and spitting as to clean their mouths...

In Greece chances are that you will hear some kind of reaction, especially if it is a scene between men. When I was still questioning and was deeply depressed by the whole gay thing, I went to the movies with four friends and when a boy in the movie kissed his teacher that it had a crush on (male teacher), they all four started laughing. It was really heartbreaking... But it's what Lewtanic said. It is a bit spontaneous, because they have never got used to seeing such a scene. I have come out to one of these friends, and she has no problem about it.
    There are of course those ass***** who are just ass***** and will just laugh at or critisise anything that is not "straight" becuase they are ass*****. You can find such people in my country.

12. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember going to see Jennifer's Body with Megan Fox. My friend and I couldn't stop going to the bathroom because we were drinking. And we thought we missed the kissing scene between her and Amanda S.--I can't spell her last name. Anyway, we didn't miss it and the audience was in complete silence. My other friend who's extremely religious didn't react badly, oddly enough because she's so against gay relationships. Then again, she doesn't even like watching stuff with heterosexual kissing scenes :grin:

13. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol Hollyoaks is at least 50% gay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. teluphone

Oh yeah forgot to mention as well.....typically audiences seem okay with girl to girl kissing (with the occasional whistles) as in the case of jennifer's body but they become revolted by guy on guy (sigh) when i saw cloud atlas today

15. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

The area that I live in is pretty liberal so for the most part, there isn't much of a response at all. Around my parents, there is no way that there is gay kissing in any movies we watch. If there is, it gets turned off.

16. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why people react negatively towards two men kissing. I know it's more acceptable seeing two girls kiss, it's silly IMO. I think people are worried if a young boy sees two men kiss, it's going to influence him somehow. Therefore, they don't even include same sex kisses between men in movies that are released at the theater. Maybe in a comedy movie, oh yeah and Brokeback Mountain, which only showed in "selected theaters."

17. Lewis

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I also have to try act as casual as possible so I don't seem awkward or anything...

When I'm sat with my mum and dad and two gay guys kiss or there's a hot shirtless guy on the TV, I pretend I'm not really taking notice. I either look at my phone or just bring up some random off-topic conversation. :lol:

18. FemCasanova

To be honest, I was a bit awkward about it when I was younger, or, that is, seeing two men kiss made me blush and look away, it was weird to me. (This was back when I was 14-17) Seeing two females kiss might have had the same effect, if it hadn`t been normal when I grew up that girls would random kiss at parties, etc, because it was "cool". So, I grew up with females kissing, but I hadn`t really seen guys kiss, so whenever it was on movies and stuff, and particularly if I saw it with my siblings, we`d go all "Ohmygod" in squeaky weird voices and look away. Simply because it was not something we were used to seeing.

Then my sister and I began watching Queer as Folk, and got used to not only kissing, but watching men do various sexual activities on screen, or at least hinted to it. We got cured! I even forced our brother to watch a few episodes with us. I loved that show, even if it was tragic. It had such great, human characters in it, and you grew real empathy and compassion for their problems, their lives, their quest for love and family.

So, today I don`t think a single member of my family even raise an eyebrow at it. My brother is a straight young male, and he has grown up with two sisters always seeing sexual chemistry and pointing it out, whenever two guys, two females, whatever, was on the screen. He is so okay with it, I honestly think two guys could make out on his lap and he`d only move a little to get his hands on his computer keyboard. I have watched films with my straight female friend too, and she was raised a mormon, but she doesn`t really react to it either. She watches all my slash videos with romantic stories involving same sex couples.

It might have been a phenomena once, but I generally feel that nowadays, where I come from, it`s really not something people get all excited about. Same sex, opposite sex, a kiss is a kiss. There was a same sex kiss in a movie I saw at the theater, I didn`t notice any reaction to it.

19. MDiiGii

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can totally relate to this! LOL

20. TheSeeker

Hmmm... Good question. I am usually too distracted by my "state of arousal" to notice what the rest of the audience thinks.