1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by August, Jan 21, 2013.

1. August

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really want to tell my family that I am Bi, but really don't know where to start. I am in college and really would like to just tell my mom in person, but am afraid of the repercussions that would happen if my dad knew. Not that he is homophobic, to my knowledge, but that he would think I was morally confused and that he didn't raise me right. My mom is really understanding of things so she might help me. I just don't know.
    Also I have recently started dating someone and don't know how to tell him that I am bi, as apposed to gay. Every moment that goes by with me not telling anyone I feel more trapped.

2. care77

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, only you can really answer this one. It sounds like you could get a supportive reaction from your mum and that your dad could accept things in time, you say yourself he isn't homophobic. There are many support groups for parents, that your dad might find helpful. Would your mum be okay not telling your dad for a while? If so you could maybe approach this in stages and get your mum's advice along the way?

3. August

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you. sounds like a good idea; just take it slow and all. :thumbsup:

4. Naomilly92

There's no right or wrong answer to this question. There's nothing I could really say to help you, I can't say what the outcome is coming out will be, all I can say is be prepared and allow time for acceptance

5. shovelman

I couldn't agree more. Giving people time to come in terms with it is very important if at first they don't really agree or understand.