1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Ever Job Interview

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DarkClarity, Jan 22, 2013.

1. DarkClarity

Tomorrow I have my first ever job interview and I'm very nervous. I'm not good with people and that makes it worst is that it's a group interview which will last for over an hour.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, things I should or should not do? :help:

2. Given To Fly

First things first - relax. Even if you end up not getting the job, it'll be good practise for the next time.

It's worth reading up on the company you are applying to - what do they do, where do they do it, what is their main target market, that sort of thing. Obviously those questions will vary depending on the nature of the company. Be ready to answer questions such as 'why do you want to work for us?', and 'what can you offer us?'.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. DarkClarity

Thanks for the advice.

4. Given To Fly

5. teluphone

I also have my first job interview tomorrow and my friend coached me a bit on what to do but still doesnt make me less anxious even though its only a part time phone caller job

Make sure you are very familiar with the job you are applying for and know what they expect from you (the competencies) and let the interviewer get to know the real you (but you need to keep any past experiences such as clubs/sports, your schooling experiences and any internships you can draw out relevant to those very atributes they are looking for and not be long-winded at the same time). My friend introduced me an important framework called the STAR. Situations Tasks Action Results. The last two are most important as they specifically focus on you and what you will do in a given situation for your job and not anyone else.

And my friend mentioned never say "I'm just ........" or "I'm very (adjective)" as they do expect a degree of humbleness from you but also at the same time look out for characteristics in your personality that stand out or anything. Also dont try to say anything that sounds like you don't get along with people since it is very likely you will need to communicate with the different departments if you get employed.

Also just remain calm throughout the entire interviewing process and when they ask you personal questions (on your strengths and weaknesses), as long as you don't fall into what i said in the previous paragraph just answer honestly about negative qualities about yourself.

I will be interviewed along with all the other interviewees in the same room though so i'm extra nervous for some reason and i always expect unexpected questions they might throw along the way

Anyway i wish you all the best for your interview

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I find that job interviews in a group are a lot less stressful then job interviews that are one on one. Teluphone has a lot of really good points on what to do, depending on the job you're applying for, it's always about the customer making other people feel comfortable. Just try to be as honest as possible. I remember my first job interview there were some things I didn't know a lot about but you should always let them know you are always willing to learn and try new things.

I'm sure it will go well for you, I do find group interviews can be more difficult in some ways because you have to stand out to the person who's interviewing with the other people. Just try to stay calm and smile a lot, and just remember it's only an interview, it'll be over before you know it :slight_smile:

Good luck!!

#6 RueBea85, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  7. DarkClarity

@Teluphone: Thanks for all the advice and good luck with your interview.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hehe.

At 14 for me. l do find there's some understanding with young people, even if they make a bad impression. l know l did horribly in some interviews as a teen and 20-21ish person.

l Didn't even follow protocol like sending thank you letters, etc(was TOTALLY ignorant of these things) and still got the jobs.

l think it's most important when the emplyer can sense you're eager to work, a young person with a slacker vibe in an interview is a HUGE turn off.

So even if you're a little quiet, l would say that's ok. Make it clear that you're very interested in the company, ask a few questions about the job, and don't feel the need to talk so much that you drive yourself into a frenzy.

9. DarkClarity

@Everyone: Thanks for all the replies. I feel so much better now.

10. julia

Oh gosh, group interviews are the easiest, you'll do perfectly fine! Good luck!!

11. ForceAndVerve

I know employers LOVE to use the "what's your greatest weakness" question. You just have to turn it into something that can be seen in a positive light. For instance, I said that I was uncomfortable with conflict and if someone was being aggressive with me I would be unsure of how to respond. They can't really turn that against you. When you are in a customer service role, being afraid of conflict is generally a +1.

Just make sure you know what sort of skills the job requires and try to show how you have done those sort of things in the past. And if you can think of any, try to ask questions aboutt he role/place of work etc. Questions show that you are interested in the job.

Out of interest, what job is it for? :slight_smile:

12. Dalmatian

Within the last couple of years I conducted a few interviews for my company. Granted, this was a small company, specific positions we were filling and interviewees were talking to people they would directly work with. So it's different than when you have to go through the whole HR nonsense.

Just a small digression.. I find it ridiculous that so many large companies make people go through all those levels of interviews such as psychological tests, then an interview by an HR person, then a test generally having to do with the job, then an interview or two with the person whose department actually needs new people. By the time it comes to that, best people have moved on and found another job. But anyway.

What I'd say are the most important facts, which many people forget because they only see the nervousness, are these:
    1. The company needs you. Ok, maybe not you specifically, but nobody wants to have interviews just for the sake of interviewing; it's time consuming, boring and exhausting. When someone calls you for the interview, it's not because they want you to feel nervous or make you feel bad about yourself, but because they hope you are the person they are looking for. They want you to do great.
    2. People conducting interviews are not just talking to a bunch of people they will never see again. They are talking to their potential future colleagues. That is true for you too. Think of these people as someone who you will meet at the coffee machine next month (or equivalent, depending on the job).
    3. Interviews go both ways. That means, as much as you are giving information to them, you are entitled and encouraged to get information from them. They need to make you want to work for them as much as you should make them hire you. Sure, they have many candidates to choose from, but you have many companies to choose from too. Don't think you are the inferior one here; you are equal and these are negotiations (yes, "I know this" and "we would want you to do that" is part of the negotiations).

I hope this helps a little. Of course, I have no idea what this job is about, but still. Don't be nervous; it's just people on the other side. And if you still feel overwhelmed, try to put some distance from the situation. Try to think of it not in the now, but in the entirety of your life. Whatever happens, it will just be an experience. Nothing much, nothing special. You will either get the job or not, but in any case, it will be a new exciting thing that you've done :slight_smile:

And good luck :wink:

#12 Dalmatian, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013