1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JTHgetart137, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JTHgetart137

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know a few people who are not necessarily homophobic, but they don't believe in gay relationships, they think it's a sin, and they also think it's a choice. I feel like after I'm out things could be awkward between us. They're accepting of gays. They just don't aprove of it. The problem is that they're really important people in my life, and I'm really close to them. No, they're not my parents. lol. I'm just sort of scared how our relationship might change when I come out. Any advice?

2. Naomilly92

I had a friend just like the friends you're talking about, and I came out to him and he completely accepted me, and it didn't change our friendship, he still didn't believe in gay relationships, but he accepted the way I was and we continued as normal. Of course, this doesn't always happen, whatever happens it's for the best, if you come out and they accept you, you get to remain friends with them, if not, you've realised they're not true friends who will support you, and you can find some friends who will

3. KillTheLights

Basically all of my friends are homophobic, lol.

4. Pat

Pat

Well, you kind of have to ask yourself what the solution is. Is it a choice to be gay? No, I don't believe so, but there is a level of choosing in regards to your sexuality. You have to choose to be happy and believe that you're only being who you are. You can't think about the affects it will have on others when it's having a negative effect on yourself. You really can't ask your friends to do any more than understand your situation and if they can at least respect it, in time they may just come around and realize that your friendship is what brought you close in the first place, nothing in regards to what you prefer sexually. You have to decide what will make you happy. What do you really sacrifice? The opportunity to be viewed normal in your relationship with a same sex partner? You may never get that kind of validation in regards to public displays of affection or hanging out with your partner around these friends. You want them to accept it like we all do, but the reality is that them being tolerant is the only place you're able to get to.

5. AaronG

AaronG Guest

If they accept gays then it shouldn't be a huge problem. Besides, its not really their problem if your gay or not, just like its not your problem if their straight or not. Its your life not theirs.