1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about an eventual Facebook name change.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theskywreck, Jan 22, 2013.

1. theskywreck

I'm scared about changing my name on Facebook. I know it's still early for that, I'm not out to enough people, but eventually that time will come. Actually, I'm afraid to tell anyone in ANY way that I want to change names, but Facebook and other online places is what scares me the most.

Forgive my rambling. I just want somewhere to vent. Well, anyway, if you've had to deal with something similar to this kind of fear, please let me know... it'd be nice not to feel alone. Thank you.

2. LSDlicious

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Facebook should scare you the least its completely superficial. Think about many times you spend time on that site you just scroll around and read the news feed and laugh at memes, write to important friends or whatever. Point being..thats what most people do on there......I dont think many poeple are going to think too much of it tbh.

3. counterspade

Facebook shouldn't be too big of an issue, to be honest. I changed my first name on there to a nickname a co-worker gave me, and it was a WEEK before anyone noticed. To make matters worse, it was my second cousin who took note and questioned it. I used to post a status update, picture, check-in at least five times a day a few years ago when I was really into the site.

I guarantee you that if I were to delete my account now, no one but an ex would notice I was gone.

If someone questions it, just explain it to them. If they're a true friend, they'll have absolutely no problems with it. If not, well then you know where the two of you stand.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. mothcaterpillar

Like the poster before me people are far too distracted by games and pictures to notice a name change
    If your young (under like 25) people change thier names all.the time to nicknames ect
    Id be least worrieed but most of mine dont know me at all from games

5. Hexagon

Any who has an issue isn't worthy of being on your friends list anyway. if you're concerned about facebook letting you change your name, I can confirm I had no problems with that.

6. AlexisAnne

I actually just did this at the beginning of the month. Well, first I came out as Trans, and then a week or so later I changed my name and gender. I don't know what your friends are like, but overall it went well. The people I'm close to commented on it and offered their support, and those I'm not extremely close to have gone on like nothing's changed. There haven't been any negative ramifications after a couple of weeks :slight_smile: I wish you luck.

Like Hexagon said, I had no problems with FB letting me change my name either.