1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not really sure how to do this

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wilted, Jan 22, 2013.

1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    So, I'm going home this weekend and planning on coming out to my extended family. My mom's side of the family is really close and we usually spend our Sundays together. I love them all and I know they will be supportive. I've been talking to this girl and I'm going out on a date with her this week. Anyways, I'm trying to think of a good way to come out to them. Should I just make an announcement to everyone that I'm going out on a date with a girl and hoping she will become my girlfriend? I'm basically just looking for any suggestions for telling everyone.

2. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish I had some advice, but I've not come out to any of my family, so I'm not sure what works. BUT...I just want to say GOOD LUCK!!!! You are so brave to be coming out to your whole family like that! Rock on! Oh...and I hope the date goes really well! :slight_smile:

3. redstormrising

if you know your family will be supportive, then it's probably safe to just announce that you have a date, and then when people start asking questions and say "he," you can correct them with "she." i've done it similarly before, i feel like it's a way to communicate what i want without making a big deal of it.

4. wilted

Thanks! I did the whole secret girlfriend thing in my last relationship and just introduced her to everyone as my roommate. This time I'm ready to do things the right way. I don't want to just pretend my girlfriend is my friend.

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2013 at 09:09 PM ----------

That's a really good idea!

5. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

That's so great! :slight_smile: I'm really happy for you!

6. Max630

I wish I had advice too, I'm still struggling to come out to my family as well. Have you come out to any of your friends yet? Maybe it would be easier starting with them? Good luck and let us know how everything turns out!!

7. wilted

Yes, I've already come out to my friends, my parents, and my brother.

8. LSDlicious

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried, you've already come out to your core family....

I kind of imagine a scenario like;

Relative: "So got a boyfriend/are you seeing anyone? etc.

You: "actually I have a girl that I like a lot and I hope we start dating soon (or how ever you want to say it.) Thanks for asking I was trying to think of a way to tell you guys that because I didnt want to have to keep who I am a secret from my family.."