1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After going to my interview today.....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by teluphone, Jan 23, 2013.

1. teluphone

I feel like i have no chance considering the odds. There were a total of 200 applicants and only 30 would get hired. As i was being interviewed (supposed to be very short) and i was only asked one question about why i want this job, i feel like i kinda dragged on by discussing the 3 essential qualities that are crucial to the caller job that i want to build up (Persuasiveness, Communication skills and persistence/perseverance) and used my experiences in Taekwondo as a platform to talk about these 3 related qualities that i believe i possess on the most fundamentally basic level.

I did manage to keep my calm, maintain eye contact and address all my points (Albeit 3 minutes long) but i kept noticing my interviewer had a rather blank expression (without any movement/change in facial expression whatsoever), but i didn't let it affect me until after the interview was over. i can't help feeling i overdid my interview response or i might've sound too full of myself but guess i learnt a lot about going job interviews today

i also noticed some people having their interview last only 30-60 seconds before it ends since they needed to clear out first round of 200 applicants very quickly.

2. putra perkasa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Then it's good luck for you. Just pray for the best, you did great. I will help with prayer. :slight_smile: And yes, lucky people is far better than good people, although of course I hope you can be both good and lucky people.

3. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All you have to do is hope for the best now :slight_smile:

4. KaraBulut

I've moved your thread to the general support forum in hopes that you may get more feedback.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I wouldn't worry too much about the feeling you're having at the moment. Going with what you have described it sounds like you hit on all the important points, which is great! That will stand out. It's possible that for those applicants where the interview lasted for less than a minute, the interviewer cut it short when they realized the applicant wouldn't be the right fit.

Even if it turns out that they don't offer you the job, you already know how to prepare for an interview for it to go well.

Good luck, and hopefully they'll call you back. :slight_smile:

6. Amicus

It's common in high-stakes situations like job interviews to overanalyze everything afterwards and feel like you MUST have done something terribly wrong. I've been there for sure. But from what you've described, it sounds like you performed quite well! You managed to stave off your anxiety during the interview and to stay on-point. Well done!

Don't try to read anything into your interviewer's blank expression. It could mean she was delighted with you and trying to maintain a poker face. It could mean she didn't like you. It could mean she was feeling completely drained in her soul at the prospect of interviewing so many people in one day. It could mean she suffers from a rare form of facial paralysis. It could mean literally any number of things; don't torture yourself needlessly over it.

If nothing else, as you said, interviewing is a good experience in and of itself. Use this as a learning experience for future interviews. Let us know how everything turns out!

7. Given To Fly

30 out of 200? Seems like pretty good odds to me. I recently got accepted for a promotion at work which was also advertised externally. For around 20 jobs, there were 1700+ applications.

Try not to think too much - it's easy to overanalyse - there were things I said during the interview which I wished I could go back and try again, but I got it anyway. (the downside is I may have to wait another 9 months to actually start, but that's another story :angry:)

8. teluphone

Received the outcome of the interview

Dear student,

Thank you very much for your interest in applying for the position as NTU Phonathon caller.

We would like to inform you that we have just concluded our hiring decision and we are offering you the role of iGave Student Ambassador instead. You will be engaged to assist Development Office in face-to-face solicitation among the graduating class, faculty and staff for their gifts and private support. This is certainly an important and crucial role which we have tasked all our ambassadors to perform.

As an iGave Student Ambassador, you will be invited to attend our networking, bonding and training sessions and to support various iGave roadshows and activities. We will pay you $7 an hour for your solicitation efforts in most of our events. However, we do hope that you could come forward and volunteer your time in some of our activities.

Well i got offered another position even though i didn't get the original job i was applying for :slight_smile:

9. redstormrising

(!) congratulations!! (!)

10. GabrielTai

Yeah, 30 out of 200 isn't bad. Smaller numbers, it's one in every seven would get hired. So that's actually pretty good. :slight_smile: Congrats on getting a position, even if it wasn't the one you were applying for. Maybe this one will be better than the one you were looking at originally? :slight_smile:

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's really cool, and it's a sign that they saw something really positive in you! Do you like the job they're offering? Are you going to take it?

12. ForceAndVerve

Oh well done, sounds like a bit of an upgrade over the initial job huh?

And also, if people were only taking 60 seconds to have their interviews, and the interviewer let you have several minutes then I would take that as a sign that at least they wanted to hear what you had to say, and clearly it paid off. If he had heard enough, he probably would have just stopped you and said something like "thank you, I think we have enough information to make a decision".

Showing enthusiasm and a clear desire to have the job give you big points IMO. Congratulations!

13. teluphone

It's more like a temporary job as opposed to caller (meaning i only participate during the actual events itself as opposed to weekly shifts like the caller) and of course the pay is slightly lower (the caller job is 9 per hour) and this one requires asking face-to-face donation. I think at least i have something to add on my CV for employment references along with the fact i want to have more time to devote to getting better grades this semester. So in a way i'm going to take it but i need to head down to the training workshop this week and see how things will work out

14. teluphone

come to think of it, i'm not sure if everyone else who didn't received the caller job also got the ambassador job so in some ways i feel rather depressed i wasn't even capable enough to get shortlisted for a 2nd interview for the caller job

15. MisterLibrarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wonderful! Well done - as one door closes, another opens.... :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2013 at 10:35 AM ----------

And don't get depressed. I applied for a post which was fairly well-attended before shortlist, and they wanted someone who knew business theory (I'm academic, but didn't study business wholly). One of the interviewers actually rang me straight after the interview to say I hadn't got the job, but would I consider an internship for three months at £1000 for the whole period? You have a job...it's a step to another one :slight_smile: Maybe you have more skills than they needed, or the job wasn't right for you at the time. You will get where you need to be.