1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i the only one?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 23, 2013.

1. MerBear

okay so my dad had found out i was questioning my sexuality over the year and now he's becoming accepting of it but i feel kind of awkward when he says like

"maybe you just get a boyfriend...*looks at me for a sec* or a girlfriend" and as soon as he says girlfriend , i feel kind of awkward....i haven't talked to him about my sexuality or anything to that extent ever since he found out but him doing that makes he feels awkward.....i guess im not use it?

dont get me wrong here. i am happy , he's being accepting of it but it just makes me feel uncomfortable a little when he tries to open up to me ABOUT it ....i don't know why

one thing i do know is that , i've always felt uncomfortable talking about my personal issues with him because were pretty distant with each other except with political views , we can agree with each other on that.

i feel even more awkward if my sister brings up but she's more or less asking me if im bisexual or lesbian and at the time , i just told her im questioning and im figuring it out but obviously that wasn't the answer she wanted

but do you think this is weird of me to feel awkward...i kind of felt ashamed about feeling awkward about it

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    Not really. And both your dad and sister sound a little weird so far lol :confused:

3. MerBear

hahaha they kind of are.
    she's daddy's little girl even though he's not even her real dad :dry:

4. shovelman

It's quite normal to feel that way because it's all new and it just didn't happen in the past. I hate to bring this one up but it's like talking about sex with your parents... it's so weird because you don't want to have that conversation with them because you just don't imagine it much less prepare for it so yeah it'll feel awkward at first but later you'll find that it gets easier :slight_smile: (except for sex! that's always going to be a weird topic with your parents XP)

5. TKM

TKM

:lol:

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2013 at 06:32 PM ----------

I agree with shovelman that's probably why it feels weird

6. MerBear

okay because i was about to say....i mean i feel bad for feeling this way because he's being supportive and im just feeling awkward but i guess your right

7. themonkey319

How comfortable are you with your sexuality?

I only ask that because a common problem with people who AREN'T is that there is a bit of an aversion to talking about it. If you yourself aren't comfortable with it yet... you won't be comfortable talking about it with others yet.

Look at yourself in the mirror (whether it's true or not) and say, "I'm gay." Make you feel really weird? If so this could be why it's so weird talking about it with them.

Just a thought. It could be one of about a thousand different things really.

8. MerBear

it might be so.

9. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me a while to become comfortable talking about my sexuality to people. It's going to take time and the more you do talk about it, the easier it'll get. I used to feel weird about it only because I didn't want to make other people feel uncomfortable. Especially discussing it with my sister, who used to treat me differently when I first came out.

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    well, your sister sounded a little obnoxious in the last post. Maybe your dad means well but just doesn't understand that it's weird to talk about when you haven't processed any of it totally yet.

But they both seem strangely impatient lol.

11. MerBear

my dad does mean well but my sister i dont get her

12. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it just takes a little time for you (or any lgbt person) to get used to people knowing their sexual orientation. Are you and your sister close? Because for me it seems the more close I am to someone when I come out to them the more awkward it seems. But its been a couple weeks and its starting to die down. So, no I don't think it's strange you're thinking feeling that way. Hope this helped!

13. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    sometimes it's weird talking to parent's about anything...especially when it involves dating, sex, etc

kinda sounds like your sister is trying to take the place of your mom...but she needs to realize...she's not your mother

14. MerBear

exactly! that's what she does. she a control freak , it comes natural and I've confronted her multiple times about it. she needs tpo see a therapist but she denies everything.
    see , she denies everything while i know i have a problem but i just choose not to see a therapist.

15. PatyR

It's pretty normal! It was the same with my mom, but with time it becomes kind of natural. Be glad your family is that accepting :slight_smile: That way is easier to discover who you truly are.

16. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know exactly what you mean about therapist. You actually have to kind of shop for one that's decent. Just cause they have a degree in something doesn't always mean that they're good at their job.

And yeah, I had a feeling that your sister is trying to fill your mom's shoes. And she needs to stop that. She's not your mother. Never has been and never will be.

17. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I can't blame you for feeling awkward, hun. All dads can be a bit awkward talking to their daughters. Especially about sexuality or dating. Ugh I hate it when my dad tries to talk to me about that stuff! Haha. But in all seriousness...just try to remember that at least he's attempting to talk to you and accept you for who you are. And that's awesome.

18. MerBear

well apparently she had to take care of me most of the time my mother was drunk which is why she still blames her even though she is dead.

my dad doesn't believe that. he said he took care of me and so did my mom also ashleigh ....and that she's lying....so i don't know who to believe. my aunt believe her but my aunt doesn't know half of things she's done to me. my aunt talks to my sister most of the time and when i tell her my side of my past , she pity's my sister

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2013 at 11:48 AM ----------

yeah i know and im glad , its just it feels uncomfortable but im trying to become use to it but he doesn't do it that often so..its kind of hard not to