1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College roommates = picking a baseball team

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noir, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Noir

I don't really need any advice, I just wanted to get something out. :icon_sad:

I feel like college dorming is that scenario where everyone's playing a game of baseball and they have to pick the teams. Waiting on the sidelines, you're always on edge just hoping to get picked.

So, after a horrible first term, I finally got a new roommate who also had a horrible first roommate. My new roomie turned out to be totally awesome and really nice!! It feels like a family here, especially after being neglected and disrespected in my first hallway. After moving, I got to actually meet my new neighbors, everyone recognizes me as the new girl and welcomes me into my new hallway, and I can have all the peace I need with the door wide open. I love my new neighbors.

My new roomie and I get along surprisingly well--coming up with small talk and chatting like it was nothing, sharing stories, listening to each other's problems as a given, and just enjoying the other's company. There's something just so wonderful about living with someone else and being to wake up smiling and exchanging such ordinary phrases like "good morning," "how was your day?" and "goodnight" when before I'd never had such an easy coexistence, even with family.

The only thing that's not great about this arrangement is planning for next year. When I first moved in, my roomie told me she's looking for someone she could spend all four years with. It got my hopes up a little bit that maybe I could find a friend willing to keep me another year, though four is pushing it. But she's already planning to move in with my favorite new neighbor Natalie next year, and she'll have moments where she gets all psyched about it making me feel kind of awkward....

I don't even want to consider asking to move in with them. It's not my place, and I'm the oddball out anyway. I moved in to her room, so I'm basically just filling the space in her room until she moves in with Natalie. It makes me feel kinda lonely, but I'm still honored that they enjoy my company now and that they'd like me to come visit them next year. She says we'll still be friends all four years, and it's not that they don't like me--it's just them wanting the opportunity to live with someone who suits them. So in the meantime, I'm happy to just be here in the present. It's just a little lonely...:confused:

2. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I get how you're feeling. My freshman year I got close to 3 girls in my hallway. So, then the 4 of us had to determine who was going to live with who. It turned out that no one wanted to live with me :frowning2:. My grandpa had just died and I was having a lot of trouble accepting it plus I have a lot of health problems. It really sucked. I felt left out. Then, one of them finally said she would live with me if I would explain to her in more detail about my health problems (I don't like to talk about them). So, I opened up to her and she said we could live together. I had this huge crush on her, so I was really excited. We actually ended up dating for 8 months :slight_smile:

My advice to you is to tell your roommate and friend that you are kind of feeling left out and wonder if you could all live together. Otherwise, try to make a new friend to be your roommate.

3. Noir

Aww, your story is so sweet! I'm glad it turned out so well for you! I'll think about it a little, but in the meantime I'll just start scouting out friends who I might want to live with. If all else fails I can ask my sister (who's awesome), but I know she was considering asking her own current roommate to live with her next year, so I don't wanna butt in on that until she's asked. Plus, me and my sis have been roommates all our lives! :lol: