1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ericisgay, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Ericisgay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey...This might not be the right section for this post...but i think here the right people could read it and give me advice.
    So I realized I am gay...and I want to get a job in the gay community...the only place I know is San fran...but i have never been there. i might go there...but I dont want to starve.

I want to know if there are lots of jobs for people with my career aspirations.
    I am a charity/NPO/NGO worker, spent 5 years overseas, have a masters degree in the filed and love to help people. Do you think I could find a job in San fran? My other options are to go to san fran, live on food stamps and couchsurf until I figure it out, or to keep traveling the world, working and exploring. I could settle in Thailand for a while...but jobless...but surrounded by friends who accept me for who I am.
    Thanks for the advise. I need it!

2. Ericisgay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for moving my post :slight_smile:

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there's not a lot of jobs in the LGBT community. The community is more about people getting together, rather than a literal walled off place where you have gay companies, gay government agencies lol. There are a few that you could do, like being a bartender at a gay bar, but you may or may not be comfortable with that. There's not much "gay jobs" however. I'd just get a job in whatever you're interested in, and volunteer at an LGBT center in your spare time.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    San Francisco is *extremely* expensive, I would not recommend going there if you're planning to work in the nonprofit sector. A *cheap,* tiny apartment in a not-so-good section is $2000+ a month. (Check out Craigslist to get an idea.) It's very hard for anyone working on a typical nonprofit salary to have any decent quality of life there.

But... there are many other cities with vibrant gay communities that are less expensive.

As far as finding a job, I wouldn't stress about finding one in the gay community per se; there are a lot of nonprofits that work peripherally with gay clientele, but it isn't easy to find jobs working specifically with gay people. Few LGBT centers have much budget for paid staff, and most of the other LGBT-related stuff is in healthcare and HIV testing and drug abuse prevention and the like.

I'd say study some of the different cities with large gay populations, find a job (not necessarily gay-related) in a field you like in one of those cities, and get involved in the community through volunteering and activities.

5. Ericisgay

Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile: great advise...ok ill look into it... and try to figure it out....although I would hope I would get paid enough to survive...

6. Ericisgay

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been looking at jobs in San fran...lots of great ones that pay 50K plus per year Would that not be enough for San Fran? Oh well Ill reserve that for later...First Ill go back to thailand...at least for this winter. In Thailand I am out...in America I am closeted, maybe that is why I dream from San Fran. It has always been in the back of my mind as the gay Utopia.