1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreading the Hospital

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by -Michael-, Jan 24, 2013.

1. -Michael-

Long story short (I actually posted the long, but it is LONG) I was in hospital a few month ago.

The bits I remember were just the most horrible moments of my adult life.
    The staff and atmosphere was just....it was horrendous and it's actually been enough to keep me from going back.

My issue is now, my health issues are deteriorating again.
    I'm scared I may end up in A&E again and then put into the psychiatric hospital against my will.

The thought of being sectioned actually terrifies me to the point were I'm almost certain i'd cause harm to anyone standing in the way of the door. Serious harm.

So, my question, if I was to check myself in the local psych hospital, what're the procedures and etc in regards to me checking in and out and does anyone know just in general what modern day NHS psych hospitals are like?

My google and youtube searches are all old horror stories from the 90's and mostly from america

2. falsereading

falsereading Guest

If you are a voluntary patient then you are a voluntary patient, the way I understand the MH Act is that it should always take the least restrictive option (if you are willing to) which would be being there as a voluntary patient. In theory as voluntary patients you can come and go as you please BUT you run the risk of being detained there under the nurses/doctors emergency holding power (section 4/5 MHA) if you are a voluntary patient and decide to leave if the staff think that you require protection against yourself or others. The emergency holding power may then lead to a section 2 assessment for 28 days where you cannot leave as you please as you are detained for the purpose of assessment and treatment.

I go into my local mental health hospital on a regular basis (not as a patient) and I never see any obvious signs of neglect or mistreatment.

3. NordicSpirit

I'm in Ireland but I think the laws are similar.
    I stayed in an adult psychiatric hospital for 3 months when I was 17 and I have to say it was a very positive experience. I went in voluntarily after a suicide attempt, technically my parents signed me in, but it's the same thing really. I found the staff to be lovely, except one nurse known to all the patients as "that cow", lol! I made friends with most of the other patients and only had a couple of odd experiences with others.
    The food was good, we had a smoking room, a tv, books, board games and we used to order Chinese food from a local place and get the nurses to collect it at reception for us.
    We were allowed visitors from when we got up to bed time and if we were feeling ok we were allowed to go out some days, either with family or on our own, depending on what we were in for. The hospital itself was this massive 18th century building that was more like a home than a hospital so that helped too.

Even though I went in voluntarily there were times when I wasn't allowed to leave, when I was really suicidal. If I had pushed it and demanded to be let out I would have been sectioned.

Are there other hospitals in your area that you could go to instead of the last one you were in? Maybe you should consider talking to your doctor about it.

4. -Michael-

Well, the hospital I was initially in was just A&E at the closest university hospital.
    The hospital i'd actually be in is a dedicated psychiatric one.
    It's actually been rebuilt about 2 year ago.
    It's actually quite beautiful on the outside.

what would happen to my bills and everything?

How could i possibly pay my rent if i'm not at work and in a hospital?
    How can I pay my debts off?
    Who the HELL is going to look after my dog?!

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Michael, this is not my field of expertise but I feel for you and you deserve better.

Is there any sort of 'advocate system' you can get help from? Like someone who can act on your behalf and help get you the right sort of placement/ treatment and help you with managing the bills etc. It might take a lot of the stress off you.

6. -Michael-

None that I know of.

My friends keep saying my Dad or Brother can do it but they're already going through a lot with their own lives.

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your dad/ brother may be going through a lot .. but blood is thicker than water I say. If it was my brother going through this, I would make you my priority without a second thought. I don't know what they are going through in their own lives, but can you use them for a bit more support when things are bad?

I think it is worth looking in to advocacy also. I can confidentially ask a friend (she's in the NHS side of things) where to get info.. It might take some of the burden and worry off you if you had an advocate. I can private message you if I get anything useful on it

8. -Michael-

Yeah, my family is a really big no i'm afraid.

If you're willing to do that, that'd be amazing.

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Michael,

I could not 'private message' you .. I am not a full member yet ..:icon_sad:

have sent my friend a note about advocacy. When she replies I will let you know

In the meantime I googled mental health advocacy and came up with a load of stuff.

Notably:

"PACE" website deals with advocacy (specifically for LGBT people with mental health issues)

"Mind" has articles on it

as do a number of other sites ...

it seems to be a well developed policy in the UK. I'm sure your GP / or psychiatrist can also advise you

You do not need to be alone with your struggle and a good advocate can be like a guardian angel to guide you ... when things get rough they can help make sure things happen how you want them to - and keep you appraised of all your options.

:kiss: