1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard time accepting it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by artcat, Jan 24, 2013.

1. artcat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a really accepting family,a great support group of friends, and an amazing girlfriend. Yet frequently i still find myself almost ashamed to be gay...i know that i shouldn't be but does anyone else feel this way?

2. I used to feel more shame. I used to feel it all day, every day. But, I've decided that I'm WORTH enough to find love with another guy. Why should I have to become a monk and just never express physical love and intimate connection? That's not living. I went to a LGBT meeting recently, and I noticed how the guys there were NOTICING me. You know, checking me out. And it felt great.

It would help you to do the same - you know, start believing that you are valuable enough to love another woman and be loved in return by another woman. Once you start thinking that way, the shame won't have anywhere to live inside you.

3. Niko

I had a really hard time coming to grips with the fact that I was trans. After finding out what transgender/transexual meant it took me a good year or so to finally accept it. Prior to that I hid and denied any feelings caused by my dysphoria for years and years. I was naive and thought it was a "tomboy" phase; but now that I accepted it, I love myself more so.
    So it'll take some time, but I bet you'll accept yourself eventually. And don't feel ashamed of what you are. You were born that way, and it's a beautiful thing to be different.(*hug*)

4. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you ashamed because you truly feel that it's wrong, or do you feel shame because other people in the world tell you that you should, or that you can change it? I know the feeling quite well.

I'm a very well disciplined person and I can usually coerce myself into doing the things that are good for me, like quitting smoking or exercising more.

I've attempted to be straight before, it didn't work: i'm just not that attracted to women. I never bothered trying to stop being attracted to men because... well, that's just a bit silly, don't you think? try to stop liking chocolate milk, you'll know what I mean.

It was mainly because of what OP said: Sometimes I just feel like i'm the wrong one and almost feel shameful about it. Everyone knows the old saying "If you hear something enough you begin to believe it". It goes for things that aren't directed to you, even if they can be personal. Persuasion can be a powerful thing: Just look at Adolf Hitler. :icon_bigg

#4 Shadowsettler, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Kay

Kay Guest

:slight_smile: I have never been there. I do think at times many LGBTQ people take the opinion of the society and beat themselves with it. Dear you do not need to feel any shame. You are good all the time. You are equal all the time. If you latch onto those phrases and make them your own the non acceptance and shame will fade and you will always be a strong healthy lesbian woman. Hugs sweetheart and much love (*hug*)

6. artcat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone, and honestly I don't feel that its wrong. I am happy to be with my girlfriend and our relationship status is on facebook for almost everyone to see. I think im ashamed because of the second reason

7. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who cares what other people think, you love her don't you? That's all that matters, your own happiness, don't let the few nasty people you may encounter ruin it for you. I'm so jelly ^_^ hopefully I'll find someone too.

8. Kay

Kay Guest

We just pick up the negative energy around us sometimes and we just have to cast it off by knowing the truth of who we are. It is the world that is ignorant of our community and boundless love.