1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I taking things to quickly?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kiltrout, Jan 24, 2013.

1. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Hello everyone,

Ever since my first coming out experience on January 5th, I've been coming out to people non stop. It's been crazy quick. Not that I have a problem with it, but It's been less than a month and I've told four people already. Heck, I'm already planning on my fifth one for this weekend. Was it like this for most of you?

2. Shiny Espeon

There is no such thing as too quickly, so long as you are going at a pace you are comfortable with. Remember that.

3. Gen

Gen

Exactly. As long as you are comfortable. It is fine.

And this month may have seemed to go by a little fast, coming out to 5 people in a month isnt really that crazy.

4. shovelman

I'm with the other guys, do it at your own pace and if you comfortable doing it then by all means go right ahead :slight_smile:. I come out to 2 friends back in December when I first started to come out and then 2 more this moth (although one of my best friends told his girlfriend who is my friend also so I don't know if it counts :/ I told him it was fine btw to tell her) then my dad and now I'm planning on telling my mom, that would make it 4 people this moth so I say your going at a normal rate :slight_smile:

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like everyone already said, go at whatever pace feels comfortable to you.

I personally went all out once I finally decided to come out. In less than 3 months I was pretty much completely out to my family, out to my school and had my first boyfriend. So yes, go as fast or slow as you want :slight_smile:

And congrats on all the progress!!

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I think whatever makes you feel the most comfortable is fine. It took me about 5 months to come out to everyone I wanted to come out to, but sometimes it takes others 5 years. I think if you're comfortable than come out to as many people as you want!

Congrats on your progress!! :slight_smile:

7. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Well, I was speaking with my best girl friend and she has informed me that my best guy friend whom I thought was straight is actually gay. He came out to her a couple days before I told her myself. I still haven't told him I'm gay, mainly because I'm worried he won't come out to me when I tell him. Wish me luck! We are going to sit down and have a talk later today.

8. PeteNJ

In my coming out group, the mantra from the leader is -- come out when it interferes with your relationships and your life.

I'll flip that to, don't come out when it interferes with your relationships and your life. Maybe there are some people who its inappropriate to share with, IDK. For instance, if you're applying for a job as a camp counselor this summer, you wouldn't say you're straight, so I don't think its appropriate to wear a Pride Center t-shirt to the job interview and announce that you are gay, either!

Among family, friends, coming out means you can be more authentic, don't need to hide or have secrets. That's cool. Do what seems right to you.