1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out at School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GayLibertarian, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I really want to come out to my classmates. I live in a REALLY small school (K-12 has almost 250 kids). We are all buddy/buddy, and I have a few close friends of course, but I just want to live completely open, and yet I don't know how to go about it.

I want to make it informal and least dramatic as possible, yet still have the seriousness to make people realize that I'm serious about this (we joke about each other's sexuality constantly).

So any advice?

2. jaysuss

I would just start hitting on guys and stuff like that so it isn't really dramatic. I have always wanted to come out to people by having business cards all fancied up saying I am gay.

3. theman227

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    i need help with my sexuality

4. anko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For this all I can offer is to have the right timing. Find a mood where it's not too serious but not too jokey. Or you can be like me who idiotically blurted it out in the middle of biology class. But no matter what just make sure you're comfortable when you come out.

5. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just remember the road to enlightenment can be rough around the edges. What I mean by that is not everyone is going to accept your sexuality and sadly word passes rather quickly in schools even ones that are small. If you are really committed to coming out, I say go for it and be a leading example to other closet kids. However you have to take the good with the bad and the yin with the yang.

6. theskywreck

Just tell your friends, casually. The school I go to has about the same number of students as yours, and I did that. If your school is anything like mine, most people are going to hear about it within the day. News travels fast.

7. Caleb93

I came from a school even smaller than yours. All I can say is I never would've wanted to come out while I was there. If somebody had a problem with me, it would be impossible to avoid them. But if you're really set on it, I'd suggest telling a few friends and letting them know it's OK to tell others. In a school that small, everyone should know by the end of the week.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second the first responder's advice to "just hit on guys." If anybody says "Dude, what are you, gay?" just say yes. Whoever's creeped out will leave and whoever is interested will stay; at least one can hope.