1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shadowsettler, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know i'm a strong person because I can choke down the urge to cry, even in the most stressful situations, and I know because the Army was one of those instances (dealing with homophobia and home-sickness). I don't like it but i'm always going to do it.

It's just the fact that almost everything bothers me. If a friend of mine gets mad or raises their voice to me or if i'm left out of an activity, even if it's something stupid like running to the grocery store it's like the end of the world. I don't know if this is normal but it doesn't really seem very normal.

Help? Does anyone know this kind of emotional volatility??

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2013 at 01:38 AM ----------

excuse my rambling.

#1 Shadowsettler, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm like that to a certain degree. Although I'm usually the one who doesn't want to go to the grocery store lol

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, you're not alone...

I can generally control my emotions fairly well - to a point.

But when people are discussing making a trip somewhere, and don't even bother to include me in the discussion, or inviting me along, I feel so sad and rejected. Even if I decide not to tag along, I'd at least want to have that option. People can be so thoughtless and inconsiderate sometimes.

I'm not a very chatty person, and some may find that annoying but I don't think I'm a bad person and I would like to be included.

Many times they'd invite me along as an afterthought, which just makes it so much worse. Example, I made a musician friend and he invited me to one of his gigs at a restaurant. Upon arriving there, I saw a couple of people I know at a big table. They invited me to join them. It was one of their birthdays that day (I was unaware) and they also came to support this muscian friend and celebrate this lady's birthday too. I felt so uneasy because they didn't tell me about their plans, so I showed up empty-handed and looked rather foolish. I was so uncomfortable the whole time because I felt they were only being nice because I happened to also be there. If they truly wanted me there, why didn't they invite me from the start? I can think of quite a few other examples, but I'd rather not go into detail about them

4. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just get way too upset.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are times, specifically during my monthly cycle when I'm extremely weird. I become easily agitated, sensitive, chatty, bitchy, shy, nervous, scared etc. and it's ruining my life :-( I tend to avoid certain situations because I don't want to snap and have a nervous breakdown.

6. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is interesting that you felt the need to state that you are believe you are strong because you can resist the urge to cry. I may be over-analyzing here, but perhaps you should give some thought as to why you felt the need to declare that in relation to this topic?

Trust me though, the feelings you describe are not exclusive to you. It affects us all, but no one wants to admit it, especially to the degree to which it bothers them. This is because it can be viewed as being "weak."

Choking down tears does not make you strong, but being sensitive does not make you weak. Everyone needs to be able to cry.

7. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l have really scary PMS too. l don't...even...l'm not right during that time lol. Add to that the migraines which make we WEIRD more so than really hurt.

But yes, l can kind of be like that OP. Maybe just in a limited way, though. Like l can react pretty strongly to some things but usually silently. And it doesn't last long, it's almost like l'm not even able to hold onto things.

8. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    because i felt like it? I don't know, does it really matter? The reason I don't cry is because I don't like being put on the spot. I never cried in elementary school, intermediate, highschool, friends, even being bullied... I don't like attention being on me, it makes me really uncomfortable and crying isn't something that is done secretly or quietly.

As far back as I can remember i've been an extremely sensitive person and i'm just wondering about people's experiences with it. It does bother me sometimes, but like I said earlier i'm a strong person. Yeah, everyone has weakness once in a while, that's why i'm asking for help. Even here at EC i've refrained from asking anyone about it until now.

#8 Shadowsettler, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  9. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent. I understand why you do not wish to cry in public.

Like I said, I could just be waaay over-analyzing it, but I was not focusing on the abstaining from crying. I find it interesting that you felt the need to declare that you were strong as the first thing you said. I do not doubt that you are strong, but you seem to feel like you cannot be sensitive if you are strong.

Does your sensitivity bother you because it makes you question how strong you are?

Please correct me where I am wrong, the last thing I would want is to offend you!

10. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just the fact that i'm bothered by every little thing. I'm dealing with anxiety, depression and then stupid shit piled on to p of that I just really need somebody to talk about it.

#10 Shadowsettler, Jan 25, 2013
  11. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anxiety and depression can definitely lead to over-reacting and oversensitivity. I am glad you have realized that you just want someone to talk to! Go ahead and talk to someone then, that sure helped me. Does not matter if it is a friend, family member, therapist, or even EC, as long as you are comfortable with it.

12. Cooper Stoppes

I dealt with depression for number of years in my teens. I know what it feels like. I also had panic attacks when I was young due to anxiety and irrational fear. What helped the most was talking to others about it. Realize you have a burden that cannot be carried alone, and do not be ashamed to share it. I suggest you start with the people closest to you-your family. Unfortunately, this might be difficult since you are not out to them yet, but the sooner you talk about your fears, the faster you will heal. You are worth the time it takes to heal.

13. khwaja sira

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Shadowsettler,what your describing sounds a lot like anxiety.It's really common amongst our communities.Constantly self-censoring and gaugeing our surroundings to avoid conflict with people who don't like who and what we are can do a real number on our heads.Being in the army,always living with the fear of being outed,it would be more surprising if you weren't having problems.The good news is that if you find a sympathetic psychologist they can show you some simple ways to get yourself out of the negative thought patterns that get you so wound up.I tried it myself a few years ago and it helped a lot.Hope this helps and remember to love yourself we all deserve it.

14. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sensitive myself, sometimes it shocks me how people can lash out for no reason. I'm not a saint, but I just don't understand how people can be cruel when stressed. Not everyone's like that of course, but it always upsets me to a certain degree.

I've found that working on my self-esteem by developing my interests really helped with this, I feel less vulnerable to being hurt by people, I just brush it off now. I'm still sensitive to others myself, but less likely to be hurt by the random nasty people.

15. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know I'm oversensitive. And it sucks sometimes. Here on EC I let it show. But usually I hide my feelings/emotions really well.....unless I'm pissed off and then EVERYONE knows it.

16. photoguy93

I think that repressing emotions leads to this. At least in my opinion.

I don't want this to seem like a pissing match - I'm just going to share my story. I know it's not as severe as some of you, so please don't judge me.

I dealt with a lot of death when I was younger. A few great grandparents...then my grandma (I was really close with her.) Then, when I was 15, my grandpa (really close to him) became ill. It was 4 years of ups and downs. Will he live through the night? Will he make it? That was a constant. We had some great times, mind you - but that even causes some emotional turmoil.
    Now, my grandma has dementia. That's tough because you are slowly losing the person.
    And... I'm gay and feel like a whore walking into church, in regards to the gay community.

My point is that I have repressed how I felt. I honestly don't remember consistently talking about my problems. I never cried that often. I always hid things because I just didn't want to face them.

Now, I am very hypersensitive to everything. A friend doesn't call? Well I immediately become sad and think "our friendship is over."

Guys aren't messaging me or talking to me - well, I'm going to be alone my whole life.

The hard part is that we are making things worse. We need to face our problems in hopes of living a better life. I'm working on it... I realize how negative I have been. (I apologize to any people offended.)

But what you are doing is normal. I can't explain why. I just know a lot of us are going through it.

17. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm depressed and worried sick over nothing (or so I would like to believe). I occasionaly get that "everyone would be better off without me" feeling and I don't know. There have been times that i've wanted to die but never really went through with it. I just don't want to go through life constantly f** suffering. I know that people love me but I don't want to end up getting to the point in my life where i'm 45 and no one by my side. I probably wouldn't live that far in those circumstances, I wouldn't want to. I'm stupid-emo now, I can't imagine myself in 20 years.

#17 Shadowsettler, Jan 25, 2013
  18. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to hurt myself. I don't think i'd be able to go through with it. I couldn't considering that my family and friends love me. I have friends to talk about it but they're only 16 years old, they can't deal with that shit. I just tell them "I'm not feeling good" and they're very sweet to me, but they can't deal with the sort of pressure that comes with this crap.

I've got no one to vent to that I wouldn't be able to break down crying with: My friends aren't like that. They do care about me but i'm not about to burden them with my emotional bullcrap. I'm not married to them or anything so it's really not their deal. I wouldn't feel right doing it, and like I said it's kind of awkward.

#18 Shadowsettler, Jan 25, 2013
  19. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    u_____u what specifically is the thing you're worrying about that is nothing can l ask?

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2013 at 11:39 AM ----------

:F if l can ask, l should SHUT my mouth l just say things ><

20. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Irrational fears like Cooper said before, wanting to cry over every stupid little thing. Dealing with memories, dealing with standard depression symptoms (not as silly as the other things)...