1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know if you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kat432, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, lately I have been very confused about my sexuality. I have never been with a woman but I have had thoughts about it. I have had numerous relationships with men but they have never worked out because I dont like the intimate side of the relationship. Although I am attracted to men. I am really confused about these feelings, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

How do you know if you're straight? The same rules apply, really. If you close your eyes and imagine yourself being intimate with someone is it a man or a woman? Without even really trying, if you're walking down the street what do your eyes gravitate towards, an attractive man or an attractive woman? Thinking about things like that can offer some clarity I think.

3. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If I imagine being intimate, it's with a woman. But I've never experienced seeing a woman out and feeling attracted to her, but I have with men. Maybe it's because I havent allowed myself to feel attracted to a woman, I dont know.

4. ems

ems

Well for me I do appreciate a good looking man - eye candy but i cant imagine my self being inimate with them, that just sends shivers up my spine. But woth women I'm attrachted to them , can imagine being intimate with them Everything ur ment to want with a man really. I hope ths helps :slight_smile:

5. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, ok that makes sense. I just wish I knew for definate. It's all so confusing.

6. ems

ems

Well we have all been there and its not the nicest experience in the world . It takes time to sort throw it all ..talking helps so keep posting and asking questions. I'm here if u ever wanna talk .

#6 ems, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Over time you will figure things out. Your feelings and attractions will become clearer to you. It is possible that you might be leaning towards being asexual given the lack of want for intimacy. That said there might also be other reasons why this is the case. For some, intimacy can't just happen with anyone, and it needs to be with the right person. Trust issues and being able to make yourself highly vulnerable factor into this as well.

You do have already some clues, such as being attracted to men, and having been in relationships. The attractions and experiences are something to hold on to and to keep exploring.

8. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks ems :slight_smile:

Hi Mirko, I'm not sure about the asexual thing as I have the desire for sex but its the feelings afterwards that are the problem. Which is what makes me wonder if it's because its with a man. I'm hoping things will become clearer, this is driving me crazy at the moment. Thank you for your advice :slight_smile:

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What would you say if I asked what makes you think you are not gay? Dont take that the wrong way but I know when I was all confused and trying to figure things out, I was always questioning what made me think I was gay, was I right, how could I not have figured it out before and when I finally got my head around it this was one of the things I thought of.

Try not to stress just take it a day and a step at a time and you will get there.

10. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, probably because I have never had a relationship or experience with a woman, so I have no knowledge of it, and I have never seen a woman and instantly found myself attracted to her. There is someone I've got feelings for but they devloped over time. Whereas I am instantly attracted to men but that never works out. If that makes sense.

11. GuidingLight

I hope everything works out :slight_smile: I'm and other in the same boat so you are definitely not alone. What i've been told through different threads i've posted is that time is the cure.
    The cure to end your confusion. I'm here if you need someone to talk to :slight_smile:

12. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you. Yes I'm gunna stick around, everyones been very helpful :slight_smile:

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well just because you have never had any experience with a woman doesnt make you not gay as im sure you know. There is nothing wrong with attraction that grows over time. Do you think this could be because you have spent your time so far growing up with the mindset that you like men and so it is more automatic whereas finding women attractive is something you have only more reactly acknowledged and almost allowed yourself to do so it doesnt happen automatically but over a period of time.

14. Kat432

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah I think thats why. Liking men is the "normal" way to go, so thats what I've been doing. Although it's clearly not working. I dont know any one who is bi or gay etc and I dont know how to meet people who are. I'm not in a huge rush to be with someone but I just want to be that step closer to finding out who I really am

15. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well I'm completely lesbian but this morning at the gym there was a guy who had the most incredible muscles. The dude was STRONG!! I sat and watched him lift for a while. It was amazing. A thing of beauty!! So I really appreciated his build and his body, but there was absolutely nothing sexual about it. But to the nicely built girl in the gym, I just hope she doesn't catch me looking for fear she'll know what I'm thinking. Gosh almighty!!

16. GuidingLight