1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will i ever like the word "sweetie" again?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 25, 2013.

1. MerBear

my ex use to call me sweetie all the time and since she's gone , i hate when people say it. like my teacher , a friend....just anyone....i hate it...its painful , i never had a flashback before but its a first.....

i've been bitchy and on edge the past 3 days or so and the whole month , i've been on a roller coaster of emotions but overall ...i've been sad...

but do you think after i move on...i'll be able to tolerate to word without bring back memories?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you will move on its not the word you hate just the feelings and emotions you have attached to that, once you have moved on and are in a happier place it will have less influence or may even become a happy association like when someone has passed away. Say my Grandfather was called Robert, when he first dies anytime I hear the name Robert, it upsets me, maybe makes me cry therefore I dont want to be near anyone called Robert, but as time passes I dont miss my Grandfather less but the pain eases and in time when I hear the name Robert I probably just remember all of the great times we had together rather than the hurt and sorrow.

3. MerBear

yeah you're right. it kills me every time and i loved when she would do it...i swear i did , now i just dont want to hear it

4. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some words bringing back feelings for exes, like names and pet-names, can affect us forever. I suspect that it will affect you much more out of a relationship than during one, but it can still bring back memories for the rest of your life. Alanis actually has a whole song written about this exact phenomenon on the same album cover that my avatar is.

"What's it been over a decade?
    It still smarts like it was four minutes ago
    We only influenced each other totally
    We only bruised each other even more so"

5. MerBear

that is so true. she has flipped me up side down and i wish she'd come back....

6. Divopix

To be honest, I think all words like sweetie, hun, dear, anything along those lines, that are used by men you don't know are degrading to women. I don't like them as pet names either. Or baby or babe.

Eventually you'll get past it! In 7th grade through to 9th, I swore I was completely in love with my best friend. She was just so amazing, and I never thought I'd get over her and the memories we had together. I mean, even now when I pass a road or a bus terminal that we shared a memory at, it hurts.

She and I are no longer friends and I see her everyday and it still hurts. What people find really weird is that I used to be quite fat and weird but now I've grown up and I'm not fat and I'm not as weird, but if I had to say who I thought was the most attractive girl I know, it would still be her, even though I recognize she isn't beautiful as I originally thought, ya know?

Like anything else, it takes time! You may always have a hard time hearing that word.

7. MerBear

well i mean , it was a her ....not a he...but anyways when guys call me pet names. i dont like it

8. Divopix

I'm sorry! That was a stupid mistake, shoulda known. I hate pet names no matter what.

9. MerBear

oh no your good.
    i only like it when girls do it for some reason haha