1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't have any romantic attraction to anyone...wth?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theagonist, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 16 years old, and I know I'm gay - I do have complete sexual attraction to guys, and none to girls. I have dates girls before, and I've "talked" to guys. I never have any crushes on people, ever, I usually say I do because I want to, because I really want to be in a realtionship. I have "talked" to a guy (we were going to go on a date, but he was grounded) before, and I only met him once, and we just texted a lot and he'd compliment me a lot and whatnot and then we kind of were starting something, but it failed, and I did vist him once where he worked and I was really, really happy then. Anyways I never have a crush on someone, when I have dated someone it started by them liking me, but most of the time I just say I like someone though I don't. I have a definite physical attraction to guys though, like this guy who is on my soccer team and I want to like date him (but he's straight lol) but idt I actually have any romantic feelings towards him at all. I have a terrible relationship with my parents and very, very abusive, mainly emotionally, especailly my mother; if that has anything to do with it. Or I'm just not able to identify romantic attraction

2. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l have it but not as much as some people here describe. Like more than one type or having romantic attraction to one sex but not actually being attracted to them physically.

At 16, l wouldn't be too concerned. Also sometimes people just get more turned on physically by the sex they actually want to be with and feel the emotional aspect with the other sex pretty often, l wouldn't call the latter feeling "romantic'.

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like me. Up until my previous crush (around 5 months ago), I'd never fallen in love before. I'd had mini-crushes on girls, but they were pretty weak feelings and disappeared pretty fast. I met him, and suddenly I felt love for the first time. And I mean real love, not just an attraction. I cared about him unconditionally, and just loved every bit of him. I still do, though since I know that he thinks of me as more of a friend (he is bi too, however I told him about my feelings, and we had a long, good talk together), I've accepted that.

I'd say you've just never met someone compatible enough to make you fall head over heels for them. The difference between my feelings for last crush and all of the rest, is that with him, I like him as a friend; I can spend time with him relaxed and happy. I value how he feels, and I'm willing to do anything for him. Whereas with the previous crushes on girls, it was more one-dimensional, a physical attraction more than anything, and I always felt pressured to "perform", like I had to impress them. With my last crush, I can just be myself and feel liked (as a friend, but that's just as meaningful to me).

You mention that you have a very bad relationship with your parents. I'd say this is the key as to why you don't have feelings for people. I've heard that a lot from people who had parental issues, my last crush had a really shitty childhood, being emotionally neglected, with a distant relationship with both of his parents. When we talked about my feelings for him, one of the things he talked about was how he didn't feel like he could be in a relationship, that he wasn't sure he knew what love was. It sounds melodramatic, but I believe I understand. He had a lot of issues with the relationships closest to him, and hence I think that's made him hesitant to invest himself emotionally in any of them. Now, I'm not a fool, I'm aware that that's not the entire reason for why he didn't feel the same. Love doesn't work like it does in the movies, he's not going to love me just because I love him, or because we're similar. It's spontaneous, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. However, I do believe that it's part of the issue.

My guess (though that's all it is, since I've had pretty good parental experiences myself) is that the right person will come along to catch your interest, and although you may not feel love at first sight, you may grow closer to them over time. Or you might not. But I'd advise giving things a chance, since love is a truly wonderful thing to feel, it's definitely worth the hardships that come with it.