1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I ever find a girlfriend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by foreveralone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. foreveralone

Out Status:
    A few people
    My life sucks so bad.
    I feel so alone. Everyone I know has a boyfriend/girlfriend and getting laid. And here I am, infront of my computer being a loser. I want a girlfriend so bad but it's so hard to find one considering I'm not entirely open about my sexuality and I look straight. Plus, I am Asian and I live here in my little Asian country where it's so hard to find other femme lesbians. I've tried to find them online but most of those girls I met online aren't my type or have fake pictures. I can't go to lesbian bars/clubs due to my Anxiety.

FML. I don't even think I'm that ugly. My friends that know about my sexuality tell me I'm attractive and can get girls easily. But I just don't know how. I'm so shy and awkward around girls especially the really attractive ones. And since I'm only into femme girls, it's so hard to distinguish lesbians from straight girls. I have no guts to ask! Sucks so bad. When I go out, it's always guys that hit on me, it's just so annoying. I don't know what to do anymore.

I've had girlfriends, only 1 was serious. Had sex with only 1 girl. Although I've had boyfriends then when I was still confused with my sexuality, I never had sex with any of them. SO yeah. What do I do with my life now? I'm a loser with no girlfriend. And I feel like I'll forever be alone. The only way I can get out of this hell is to travel and go to places where I can be myself but I can't afford that yet. I'm a college student and so broke right now, haha. WTF should I do with my sad life right now? :icon_sad:

2. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am just like you. I don't have any issues with my body, I'm certain I'm at least a little handsome when I primp myself up. However, I tend to be very closed off to people. I'm not obviously shy, I hide it behind a social mask. When I meet someone, I tend to act according to what I think they'd find normal, and hence I rarely develop meaningful relationships. It's only recently that I've begun to notice that, and am working to fix it.

For the last few years, I wondered if I would ever meet someone who I could love. I had crushes, but they were purely physical attractions (just for the novelty of being with someone, not really because of the person unfortunately), and faded pretty quickly. Fast forward to this (well last) year, I came to my final year of school expecting it to be dull as usual. In my very first class of the year, I met a guy who I just clicked with. We were so alike, I quickly fell for him and knew what love really was. He's bisexual too, but unfortunately after months of confusion, it turns out he didn't feel romantically about me. However, we're still great friends, more than many friends are, and I'm glad to have him ^_^.

I hope you don't get the wrong point from my experience. Although it was painful being so confused, and eventually learning he didn't feel the same, I wouldn't give the experience up for anything. Even unrequited love is a beautiful thing, and it really changed me as a person. Furthermore, the fact that I met a guy I liked that much just incidentally in a class inspired me to believe that there could be more guys out there that may make me feel the same, who knows.

I assure you that if you do the following: get out, socialize (honestly too, try and open up to people so you can form meaningful connections), work on your own interests and hobbies, you will meet someone some day. The reason so many people, myself included, spend so much time wondering why we haven't met a soulmate, is that we just miss so many opportunities, passing up on importunities to make a connection with someone, or never opening up to them (hence nothing meaningful forms). I assure you, you will find love eventually, and when you do, it will be the most wonderful thing you've ever had in your life. I know that may make it even harder to wait, but trust me, it's worth it.

When it comes to figuring out who's lesbian and who's not, I'd not worry about that so much. If you send some hints yourself (like really subtle flirting, nothing that would be offensive to a straight person, but may catch the interest of a lesbian/bi girl), they will gravitate towards you. You'll eventually notice that you both seem to be shy around each other, and at that point you can try and bring the topic up (i.e talking about gay marriage is a great way to segue into coming out to someone). If you mention you're lesbian, and she is too, she will almost definitely tell you, even if she's not out completely yet. It's so easy to come out to someone who's just come out to you.

3. Cecil

It sounds like you just need practice and confidence boosting.

I get panic attacks if I'm not careful and get them over nothing. One thing that helped me was to practice breathing, sing a song, and think about a technical problem like C++ programming or a science thing. Sometimes even going to the bathroom to calm down and just relax can help in crounded places.

Your in college right, try taking a public speaking class or club. I found that public speaking really helped me and you would be surprised at how many people are terrified of just talking in front of friends! It will help you get use to the idea of just bing the center of attention and your anxiety will lessen with practice. It will also help you in creating conversations on the fly and be comfortable in groups.

So you have trouble talking to girls ey? If you have friends who are girls talk to them about it. You don't have to mention the fact that you like girls. Just say that you want to make more friends or ask another girl a question or even that you want to ask a girl where she got her purse. They may have done tips or ideas on how to struck up a conversation without feeling silly or nervous. There are also tips online that can help you so just browse around and see what would be most helpful to you.

Lastly just be yourself and practice! There is nothing worse than acting like someone else and not being who you really are! I should know.

So good luck sweety and just try your best. Things won't change overnight. Give it time, keep your head up, and remember to stop and enjoy life. We all only live once and even if we go it alone for a while just remember that you will always have people in your life who love you for who you are!! Be it family, friends, or a stranger. So keep strong!

Hugs

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried dating sites and had a ton of success, but there have been a few girls who did not look anything like their pictures. I also suffer from anxiety, which makes going out very scary and it's ruining my life. I used to be so outgoing, but now, I'm stuck in a rut, so I feel your pain. I think taking a class in public speaking would be a great idea. Even though it helped me, but to a certain extent; I feel like I'm right back where I started.

It's going to take time and practice to build up your confidence. That's what I seem to be lacking especially since I gained 10lbs. I can remember when I used to approach any girl that I found attractive and I'd compliment her. But lately I haven't been able to pull it off. Now, I get nervous, freeze up and I start acting like a weirdo, fml too. It's not easy, but it's possible to overcome, just keep trying and never give up :slight_smile:

5. Acobi

Acobi Guest

I have no doubts about you. Sometimes it is as simple has hearing that you are capable of finding love!

You WILL find a girlfriend. Like the amazing inputs from the posters above it, it comes down to confidence. Which is awesome, because confidence is something you can change about yourself, it is difficult to do, yes but you can change it.

I think also just taking small steps to being 'out' not even full out of the closet but just enough to help you meet others. I think this is a huge mental block in:

A. creating confidence
    B. Anxiety

If you can step out a bit, I bet you would see these two areas improve--even if it is just the slightest. College usually is a very accepting place and I'm sure with a little searching and risk taking you will be able to find others :slight_smile:

Again, you will find someone. You deserve a great relationship and you are special! So go get 'em!! <3

6. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Same boat here. Being single sucks :/

8. Cecil

Indeed it does but don't let it get you down! There someone out there for everyone.(*hug*)

9. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I sure hope so! :grin:

10. foreveralone

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all!

11. Katelynn

I know exactly how this feels, its been 7 & half years since I stopped dating or havinig sex bc it upset me so much that I could never be myself in a relationship with a girl. Ever since April 2012, Ive been trying to meet someone with NO luck. In my city, none of the lesbians here accept me as one of them really (with the exceptions of a couple lez friends I have that Id never consider asking out bc I need them as friends too much) & all Im stuck with are online relationships where I always get nothing but hurt, usually by fakes or girls who cant follow thru or like me & then do a 180 & decide they cant accept me. Im insanely, heartbreakingly lonely & Im getting to the point where Im ready to just give up - completely. Im just really not even seeing the point anymore & everytime someone tells me to 'hang in there' or 'it'll get better one day' I feel like screaming it hurts so much to hear those words now. Im really feeling like I should have just stayed in the closet & been miserable that way rather than come out like I did & face the very real likelihood I will never get to have anyone want me. And with the shit family I have, Ive pretty much given up on the words 'I love you' ever holding any meaning for me at last. Sorry for the self-absorbed ramble, I just needed to say all this somewhere...

12. Cecil

Well, let me tell you what your problem may be and is the same problem for MANY people: your trying too hard to find someone right now!

Everyone feels they have to find a partner or they have to be in a relationship or it's going to be a lonely road if I don't find someone right now in my life. I'll tell you right now it's all bullshit. I have meet many people who are gay, bi, or whatever you call it, finding true love later in life. So no matter what don't give up or feel worthless. As long as you are alive and yourself you WILL find a partner one day. But you don't have to look so hard or even look at all. I have a friend who didn't find his true love until age 40, and his true love lived a house away.

So don't look so hard, live your life, and try not to worry. There is someone out there for everyone. Otherwise why the hell are there soo many of us?

13. Akatosh

A girlfriend will NOT solve your problems. You will only pass your problems (baggage) onto her to deal with, and in effect, will weaken the relationship. Your salvation comes from within. It requires work. Some girl will not replace the work you need to put in to helping yourself. That's why they call it helping yourself.

Start working on yourself, and the RIGHT girl will come into perspective.

14. foreveralone

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's just so lonely, you know? I'm not close with my family and my friends don't know I am gay except for my two other friends that live 5hrs away from me and are also having a hard time finding a girlfriend mainly because they're too choosy but they deal with being single pretty well because they have supportive friends and they go to bars all the time to have fun. I wish I wish I was the same way but my anxiety is holding me back. They've invited me many times but I always refused. Andd I don't want to find a girlfriend at a bar, been there once most were butches w/c I am not into. and most femmes were with their butch girlfriends while those who seemed single and flirting weren't my type at all. Plus, One of the main reason why I don't go to lesbian bars is because I am too scared that someone from school/old friends or family friends recognizes me. That's really what makes me anxious! Where else can lesbians be found? And how do I know they are lesbians if it's not in a lesbian bar. :-(

---------- Post added 28th Jan 2013 at 12:59 PM ----------

Andmow,
    But the problems are I don't have a girlfriend and I am so lonely. If I get one then my problems will be solved. You prolly just don't know how it feels to be alone and wanting and missing to have someone to share your life with. Someone I can tell my problems to. I'm not really comfortable sharing everything with friends and family but with a partner it's different. I've been going through alot lately, been really depressed, and it sucks that I have noone to talk to about it and noone to comfort me. And ha, being single and no sex life for a long time can be really sexually frustrating.

#14 foreveralone, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  15. Cecil

I can understand the being alone, but I have never had a partner in my whole 25 years of life. I make up for it by surrounding myself with good friends and focusing on work\college. And having a girlfriend will not instantly solve problems.

I know and understand that it's hard not having a partner to share your life with. To watch the friends around you find a girlfriend while you are still alone. But there is someone for everyone. So until you find that person you need to just focus on yourself and keep growing into the person you want to be, take it a step at a time. And you may find love will come looking for you.