1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I declared my orientation to a close friend today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by B06SAJ1a, Jan 26, 2013.

1. B06SAJ1a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I called one of my closest friends who admitedly has known that I've been working through this, and declared that I'm a same-sex man. I told him that I'm not attracted to women and that I'm a gay man. He was accepting and is still my friend. That helps so much! I love him and I know that he loves me, too. I'm going to an event with some new colleagues from the gay community here tonight and then I'm planning on going to one or more of the bars in the gay area of the city. That's going to take some courage on my part. I'm also going to ask one of my friends tonight if they can help me select some new clothes and give me some hints on a gentle make over. I appreciate, very much, everyone's being here and the support that I've received. It's one day at a time...

2. regime

regime Guest

Good that is such a big step im glad you too it hope everything continues to work out for ya. :grin:

3. Xochipilli

It truly is a one step at a time thing! And props to you for being brave and setting the wheels in motion!

4. Acobi

Acobi Guest

Congratulations! Truly. The first steps are the hardest. I admire your courage! Let me know how your night on the town goes! Sounds like you have an amazing friend there and some great people in your life! Keep trekking forward!

5. RainbowMan

I *might* tell a friend tonight, or I might wait - I dunno. It's just so hard. I have a self-imposed deadline (that I might skip) of coming out to my parents on my birthday (a little over a week away).

But I think before I do that, I need some local support here. I'm all alone in the big city, as it were, so I don't have any family to help me through this. However, I have a great circle of friends, none of whom I'm out to yet (but I'm fairly certain they'd be accepting), so I think it's important to come out to them first if that makes sense.

6. B06SAJ1a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't outed myself to my father yet (my mother was gone long ago - she'dve never accepted it). I don't know how he'll take it. I sense that he won't take it too well. That's another story in of itself. Of course, "the best laid plans of mice and men" - I wonder how many would agree with that here. There's probably not going to be a good time to tell your folks...your friends will hopefully be accepting...I guess we have to do it sometime, don't we?....we're with you whatever you do, Rainbow. ...and thanks a bunch for your support, too!

7. Rexmond

Congratulations! It gets easier after the first person, usually. Telling your parents is by far the hardest thing to do, especially if you (don't) know if they will be accepting or not.

8. Kay

Kay Guest

Fantastic. We are all excited for you. rah rah rah.

9. B06SAJ1a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK - just reporting in - I went to the bar. It was fine, of course (heh, heh, heh). No one bit my head off. Everyone was either friendly or personable. It was a bar with guys. I will go back again in a few nights. Thanks for the encouragement from you all. ...little steps and one day at a time...

10. RainbowMan

And an update from my end - went to the normal bar that I go to where my friend that I was thinking of coming out to hangs out with me, he wasn't there.

So in short, nothing happened at all tonight. Which is a decent thing, I have something of a crush on this guy, and know that it can't be reciprocated, so I need to talk to my therapist about this. This will be the topic of our conversation on Monday I guess....it's going to be so hard.