1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

everything happens for a reason?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MerBear, Jan 26, 2013.

?

does everything happen for a reason

1. yes

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. no

28 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. maybe

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  1. MerBear

whats your opinions on that? my ex use to say it all the time....and it really annoyed me
    i personally don't believe everything happens for a reason.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There's a nugget of wisdom in there, and that is that in many negative situations, there are opportunities to turn the tragedy around and build something good out of it. Other than in that way, no, I don't think everything happens for a reason.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I don't think *everything* happens for a reason. A lot of the time, if you're able to keep a good timeline of the events of your life, positive things that happen later on can be perceived as never would have happened without a negative situation pushing you in that direction. But there's still the fact that some people are shit on for no apparent reason and do more than their fair share of struggling while some people breeze right through. I don't think there's a reason for that kind of inequality.

4. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Strictly speaking, everything does happen for a reason--everything is a consequence of some other action in the universe.

But I don't think so in the sense you're using.

5. MerBear

what i mean is a innocent person getting shot.
    what's the reason for that?

6. ForceAndVerve

There is none.

7. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The phrase "everything happens for a reason" bothers me because usually I find it used by people who are passively accepting situations instead of trying to enact any chance or put forth any effort. And that is a pet peeve of mine.

But really everything DOES happen for a reason. An innocent person gets shot because the person holding the gun pulls the trigger. An orphanage burns down because there was faulty wiring on the 6th floor. A person gets hit by a car and dies young because the driver was drunk. Now if everything happens for a reason with some kind of cosmic purpose? Nope. Things just happen. But that doesn't mean you can't make the best of them when they do.

8. lxlJDlxl

I do not believe in it. When someone says that line I am like,"mehhh."
    It is like, giving a reason for every situation to justify every course of action done by a person. Of course when you fail a test or get a high mark on a test, there is a reason behind it; it is either you studied hard, or did not at all.
    But in the context we are using the line, nah, people just use it to make them feel better when they are down or to exalt themselves more when they get the upper hand.

9. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not so sure. The cynic in me wants to say, in general, no.

"Everything doesn't happen for a reason, we as humans just end up finding a reason in everything that happens."

10. Kay

Kay Guest

No I don't think so there are to many senseless events.

11. Hot Pink

No such thing as fate. There's people who accept things as they are because they've convinced themselves it was meant to be and others who go out and change things through blood, sweat, and tears. When someone says, "Everything happens for a reason." What I hear is, "I don't want things to change."

12. TroubledRyan

When I hear that phrase, I generally tie it in with spirtuality, or the belief that something else will control the outcome. But that is total b.s. Things happen because someone or something makes them happen.

13. MichaelB

I do believe in it yeah.

Negative experiences, however awful and tragic and appalling, do have the side effect of strengthening you and building on your character, if you let it anyway.

Everyone has trials in life, it's a matter of perspective to try and conquer them and gain wisdom from the sh*t that you have to go through.

So yeah, I am a big believer of the saying.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Basically sums up my thoughts on this~ I act without reason on a regular basis anywho. If I can't apply this even to myself it doesnt make much sense for me to view it as true for everyone and everything else.

15. Ticklish Fish

eh, defines "innocent"
    you sure that person hasn't hurt another person before?

*my pet peeve when people say things like "good people have bad things happened" or "innocent people have tragedies"

you sure they aren't like, racist to some degree, homophobic to some degree, being an ass to somebody, etc.?

16. FranklinK

I think it's bullshit when people say everything happens for a reason. Every decision we make has an outcome and leads us in different directions. When people say things like this it is just a way for them to comfort themselves when they don't want to face the fact that maybe things aren't always in their control i.e. a death or a tragedy, or they don't want to accept the fact that they made the wrong decision/choice.

Who knows what the other outcome would have been so you don't know where that would have lead. We control 90% of our future other people's actions and circumstances control the other 10%.

I find it hard to believe that everything happens for a reason when we control quite a bit of what happens.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Those don't seem like reasons that would justify a person getting shot and killed. And if it's a total stranger that you're randomly opening fire on then for all you know they are completely innocent. That in itself is so hideously evil of an act I don't believe there can be any reason behind it.

18. a few random things maybe but not EVERYTHING.
    usually one bad thing happens, one good thing happens after. lifes about ups and downs, karma and stuff you know.
    everything happens for a reason excuse for everything is kind of a lazy excuse to me.

19. Jim

Jim

I don't believe there is a reason behind anything apart from human motivations.

There is no order in the universe, it was not created, nor were we. Everything happens by chance, and that's why I find the universe and the Earth so beautiful.

20. julia

Exactly this, couldn't say it better myself.