1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared out of my mind

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Try to be proud, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Try to be proud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm lesbian and only out to 3 people, two of which are lgbt and the other my best friend. I'm scared out of my mind to come out to more people (not even to mention my family). But I hate the fact that I feel like I'm lying to everyone around me. I'm scared of the ridicule and hate and isolation that I'm going to face. And I know the quote those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.. But I don't know if I'll be able to handle how much life will change after I come out.. Help

2. GabrielTai

Well a few of questions first:
    How old are you?
    Are you living with your family?
    Are you very close to them?
    The people that you are closest to, do they seem to have any problems with gays?

3. Try to be proud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 16 and I live with my parents, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm close with any of my family. I barely tell them anything but they're always supportive. My family is the type to make comments like he looks a little light in the loafers and so on and so on. My friends are also quite opinionated. Oh not to mention I go to a catholic school. (I'm not catholic) people have said that they're ok with lgbt people but I don't really believe them.. Idk why

4. GabrielTai

Well, as far as your school goes, I'd be careful about it until you know the faculty's position on homosexuality. The head of my friend's school expelled him because he came out of the closet and was being harassed. I don't know if it was because the head just had a hate-on for homosexuals, or because he thought that was the safer option. If a single student is being harassed by a group, it would be safer for the students and the school's reputation for that student to not be there anymore. Not saying I support those sorts of decisions, but I do understand why they're made.

As for your family, I'd maybe get a feel for their reaction. If you have satellite tv, maybe while you're flicking through chanels, stop on the gay channel for a few minutes and see what they have to say about it. It can be tricky coming out while you still live at home, but often parents reactions aren't what we think they will be. My father told me when i was 10 years old that if I ever brought a black boy home he would dis-own me. So I thought surely he would hate me if I told him I liked girls and not boys. But he was surprisingly cool with it. Your parents might over-react in one way or another at first, but if they do, give them a bit to cool down, and let them approach you about it when it comes up again. Patience and steadfastness are key.

5. Try to be proud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My school is generally accepting.. Theres numerous people that are out, but there's always those dumb people that decide to bully them..
    80% of me feels ready to come out but there's still that voice in there that's like no stupid why would you do that, people are going to hate you.
    I've tried testing my parents in the past and needless to say they didn't really have that much of an opinion but I will definitely try to see again

6. Eletricalmonkss

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    School's are always tricky to come out to the closet to even the most accepting liberal schools or I've found it to be that way. Thing is it can get pretty over-whelming and you are sixteen, maybe you should wait a few years before you come out. Yes I know hearing that sucks but when you're at uni. you really have more freedom to branch off. As for your parents a few more years wouldn't hurt either