1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ranting about my gaydar, or lack of..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by step49x, Oct 22, 2006.

1. step49x

Some background info: There is a boy at my college who I'm pretty good friends with, and who I also have a crush on (this is the first time for me that i've actually recognised and acknowlegded these feelings, because i really avoided the whole gay scene all through high school. all these feelings are still pretty new to me).

I was wondering today if there was any way I could try to figure out if he has any feelings towards me (aka. disprove the thing on Facebook that says he's straight), so I decided to do a little research online. I ended up finding a couple sites that gave supposed "ways to tell if someone is physically attracted to you." Several signs were listed, from "someone's pupils dilating when they look at you" to "letting you invade their personal space." There was also another site I found where members were discussing whether they could tell if someone was gay or not. While reading it, I started getting a little frustrated (aka. the reason for this rant), partly because everyone there seemed to have a perfectly tuned "gaydar" (which i definitely don't have), and partly because they didn't say how they were able to tell how they knew who was gay.

Is there anyone here who has a fairly reliable gaydar? Are there specific things that you look for in trying to determine if a person is gay or not? Right now, it's really driving me crazy that I don't actually know anyone else at my college who is gay. I'm curious to try and see, if I start looking for the above-mentioned signs, if I'll be able to spot any, not just in my friend, but in anyone here.

2. step49x

Here I go, responding to my own posts again...

Something I've always wanted to try is to go 'people-watching.' It sounds like it can be quite interesting, seeing different patterns and trends in the way people interact. I also read that one way to try to determine someone's orientation is to watch them from afar and observe who they usually spend a little more time looking at. I'm really tempted to try going to some store or mall and just observing people for a little while.

Has anyone done any people-watching before, and have any tips they could give on good ways to do it and not be completely obvious about it?

3. I have horrible gaydar.

If I really like someone, I can make myself believe that any tiny scrap of affection they show me is a sign that they have recognized me as the Chosen One. It's pretty terrible.

I'm not convinced that anyone has good gaydar. Some people like to say they have good gaydar, but I don't know. Seems like a pseudo-science to me.

4. GuitarGirl1350

Okay. I have terrible gaydar when it comes to females. My male gaydar, however, is fine tuned. Unfortunatley...I can't help you fix yours. Here's why...

This sounds so weird, but I get "vibes". Like, I'll know automatically if the male I'm talking to is gay or not. It radiates from them.

I also people watch constantly. I'm the type of person who observes the behaviors of those around me and wonder why they are such. It's a really good idea to people watch. You'll learn some interesring things.

5. Sam

Sam

Im the same as guitargirl my gaydar sucks when it comes to females but for males I get those vibes too they dont even have to be sterotypically acting gay and I get those vibes if they are but I know what you mean because its hard trying to find someone to go out with because I can never tell if a girl is gay or not and it drives me nuts I mean Im not just going to go up to a girl and say hey are you a lesbian so Im in the same boat I want to find someone its just hard to

6. CrazECarmine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People watching ... i find is best done with friends, and it can be alot more fun. Not with a big group, but like one other person or maybe two. Me and my best friend people watch all the time. Good times. And as for your gaydar, have you looked into your college's gay and lesbian organization? like Glass or GBLT or one of them ... there are like a million acrynoms. and i totally spelled that wrong but whatever! Good luck with your chrush

7. sammy1

My gaydar sucks when it comes to feminine women its really annoying because i always get crushes on those girls so i start talkin to them and they ALWAYS end up mentioning their bf...UGH! And actually what is more annoying is for example there is this woman i work with and she actually was wearing rainbow plugs in her ears and i hear her talk about her bf ALL the time! And same with another woman she was wearing rainbow earrings but i dont believe she is gay either! So y do they wear obviously gay pride colors..it totally throws me off :S

8. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...what if they were bisexual?:lol: