1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do if an acquaintance came out to you because they knew you were gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Parsley, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So what would you do if an acquaintance came out to you because they knew you were gay? Would that be okay with you? Do you think it is inappropriate? What if it was a coworker?

I'm thinking of discussing my orientation with someone I know who is gay since it feels like a safe thing to do and a good source of support, but we aren't that close. We chat and get along, but we don't do friend things outside of work.

Also how does one casually bring it up? There doesn't seem to be a good segue to jump the topic to, "Oh you like chicks? Yeah I think I do too!" :eusa_doh:

2. thekspot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: What would you do if an acquaintance came out to you because they knew you were g

Well I can kind of relate to you on wanting to come out to people but not knowing how. I started a new job and wanted to let everyone know I was gay but not blurt it out and be too obvious about it.

Eventually it just came up. For me I was social with co-workers, and I let it unfold naturally without actually having to come out and make the big speech about it.

Good luck, is it very important that you come out as soon as possible?

3. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: What would you do if an acquaintance came out to you because they knew you were g

Not in a hurry at all. I was just hoping to find some support as I get used to the idea of being gay. I'm fairly certain that I am, and it would be nice to have someone to talk to about it.

4. olides84

If it was an acquaintance, then sure I wouldn't mind if they came out to me and I'd try to offer them support. I wouldn't think it was inappropriate at all, assuming I was out to that person or simply out in general. If you know they are gay for some other reason, then it's a little more touchy I suppose. But overall, I think most of us who have gone through the acceptance and coming out process can understand how difficult it can be/is for others as well and will try to lend an ear. As for how to bring it up, I always recommend setting the stage so it gets their attention. Such as: I want to talk to you about something personal, and I was wondering if we could spend a few minutes in private sometime soon (or now!).

5. photoguy93

If you trust this gay person, then go for it. But don't just go to them because they are gay.

I'd say.... Just become friends with this person. A lot of times, good friends pick up on these things.

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people

not inappropriate.

Personally l might want to become more friendly with her first. Just because l feel like even if you have that in common, and it turns out nothing else...awkward...

also what photoguy sed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: