1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend is a closeted gay - came out to him, he didn't come out to me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kiltrout, Jan 27, 2013.

1. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

So, yesterday I came out to my best male friend. I've always had a suspicion that he was gay. This was confirmed to when my female best friend told me. Apparently, he came out to her a few days before I did. Having known this knowledge, telling him felt a little bit easier. However, I was scared that he would not come out to me. What I had feared happened: I came out to him, but he did not come out to me. I'm not sure if it's that he doesn't trust me enough to tell me or if he is just not comfortable with his sexuality yet. As far as my friend knows, he has only told two people. It was all very disappointing. I sat down next to him in the car, looked at him in the eyes, and just told him I am gay. He looked at me and said "OK". I asked him if he ever suspected me being gay and he replied "I never even thought about it." That was it. He had a look of consternation on his face. I waited a few seconds before we got out of the car, but he said nothing. When we went into the record store, he went a separate way, not even saying a word. Anyhow, I bought some CDs and then met up with him in the car later. The ride in the car was like nothing ever happened. I'm not sure how to feel about the ride. Let's see if he ever does come out to me. I need a local young gay friend to talk to. Do you folks have any advice?

2. -Michael-

Maybe he didn't want to risk a 'I'm gay' 'ME TOO!' 'Let's make out and be in love'

He might not want to tell you. It's really difficult coming out.
    It's easier for some.

He might not 100% trust you with his secret.
    And although you trusted him with yours, that doesn't mean he HAS to reciprocate that.

Maybe tell this girl friend of yours to discuss it with him.
    Though to be fair, she's not a good friend for telling you his secret.

That was wrong on her behalf.

3. photoguy93

Who did he tell? Were they female or male?

I think that It would have been very difficult for me tell a gay guy right after I came out.
    It doesn't mean he doesn't like you. It's just different!

4. Adhoc

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He may simply need time to both get used to the idea of his own sexuality and your own orientation. Based on what you have said, it's likely he's either now challenged to face a different sort of friendship with you, or he's faced with a dilemma about his own comfort in coming out.

I'd suggest giving him time. Don't think he's not trusting of you, he's likely just trying to decide whether you will be trusting of him. Try to be supportive and respect him if he decides not to come out. You are and have been a friend to him, just by being concerned about this. Be patient and understand he's likely going through something similar to wht you might have gone through to come out to him before you knew he was gay.

5. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I clearly told him that I had no romantic interest in him and never have had any. That was one of the first things I told him.

My friend didn't out him. When I came out to her I started to tell her how I was planning on coming out to him. I told her how I've continuously had my doubts about his sexuality and maybe he will say something when I tell him. She just replied with a "Who knows.". Two nights ago, I was going to tell him and I was freaking out. In an attempt to keep me calm, she sort of implied he was gay. I then confirmed it myself when he really wanted to watch a gay flick. I told her and she then told me that he is gay.

6. Madeleine

I completely agree with this. And also, he might have wanted to make you feel not like a freak by acting like it was no big deal, maybe that was his way of being supportive for you, as you are still coming out to people. For me it seems like he is not ready to come out to you (which shouldn't be forced,) also you were privy to knowledge he told his girl friend, and she shouldn't have told you, and he probably doesn't know she told you.

7. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I feel like a bad person now. :frowning2:

I should just give him his space.

8. Adhoc

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's still possible he felt challenged. You may know he's gay (or at least told someone else he is gay), but you don't know his comfort level. Being that he came out around two days ago, he's likely still exploring the concept of coming out.

Keep in mind he doesn't know that you know he's come out already. He's still behind the 'cloud' of the closet, and he may simply need time to be comfortable with it- it's best just to be patient. Trust is likely a big issue with him, and often the people one trusts the most can be the most difficult to come out to.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2013 at 12:36 PM ----------

You aren't a bad person for wanting someone to share your struggles with!

Just know that it may take some time.

9. photoguy93

Maybe he has his own suspicions. Maybe this is his way of handling it with you.

Don't feel bad. It is a bit hard when friends don't come out to you, but it's just part of the game.

10. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

He came out to my friend like a month or two ago.

11. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I found coming out to a girl to be easier than coming out to a guy (I haven't even built the courage to do the second yet) so it could be that he just needed a confidant with whom he could be open with while he is going through the coming out process and though that a girl would be a better option. Don't take it personally, I came out to a friend a few months ago and even if several of my other friends came out I would still be hesitant to come out to them. He could still be reacting to your coming out to him and trying to decide whether or not to reciprocate it.

12. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l was going to say l've done the same thing but it is a little weird that he would tell your mutual friend and not you.

For me, l just won't be out anyone within certain groups of people. A family member came out to me and l didn't do the same. She couldn't keep that secret, she's way too talkative.

But with that...l don't know. Maybe...her has a crush on you :eek:

13. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

That could be true. Although he has never shown any interest. IDK. Time will tell.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    maybeee :confused: was possibly terrified to if you weren't someone who showed any signs of being into men in his opinion.