1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to church today!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by twin soul, Jan 27, 2013.

1. twin soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been bitter towards mainstream christianity for a long time now. About 3 years ago I was I was a deacon at a baptist church and was excommunicated when I decided that being gay was not a sin against God, and allowing myself to love is not a bad thing. Since then I have went through times of such loneliness, because of transitioning from an almost family environment, to having no one that I felt I could trust. This has left me being somewhat PTSD. Oh, I know I have alot of hurt still left in me. I can feel it. I do go to a few churches that I like, but there is still a sense of community that I'm missing. I live in the bible belt in the southern appalachians, and you are either a radical christian, or live a life of parties. I'm neither of these. I feel like I don't belong anywhere sometimes. So, anyway, I decided to go to a young church plant downtown. The people are nice and genuine, and I think a little naive. I remember being like them. I felt so safe in my "christianity". I've talked with the pastor and told him that all I want is just community. I've told him that I'm gay and I don't want to change at all. So, if at any time I feel like someone is trying to change me I won't come back. I feel like this will be a way for me to come to terms with the bitterness that I still hold for christianity, and might give them a different perspective. As I was driving there I could feel my heart pounding, and anxiety setting in. (PTSD) As I was sitting in my seat and when I would hear prayers and songs, etc I couldn't help feeling just a little sick. During communion a woman asked me why I wasn't going up to take it. She asked me if I was saved. I can't stand it when someone asks someone else that question. But, I tried to be polite and just said that, I don't want to take communion, but I'm OK. I'm excited at getting to know some of these people. Some of them I already know. At the same time, I don't want to be the cause of any division, which I can see happening. In all honesty there is alot about close-minded christianity that I would like to confront. I think maybe this might be a good way to do it. What are your thoughts on this? Is it ok to go to a church, and not want to believe what they believe, but wanting to have an exchange with them?

2. AnomynousMan

AnomynousMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Remember, No matter what, God LOVES you! Stay in that Church and live by the Word of God!

3. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm going through similar thoughts. No one knows I'm gay, but I attend church regular with people who think homosexuality is a huge sin. Honestly, I have made up my mind on that front, yet, but I will tell you this: It doesn't matter what the people in that building think of you. One of my thoughts on the situation is even if God sees homosexuality as a sin, no sin is unforgivable! Just remember that Jesus loves you, no matter who/what/when/where you are, and if going to church makes you feel closer to Him, then you're in the right place. Don't let other people run you off.

4. twin soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I feel very comfortable in my sexuality. I do, sometimes have trouble separating how "christians" have treated me with what I know God's attitude is for me. However, I do find some encouragement even from the bible. Like when Paul is describing the thorn in his flesh. He asks God to take it away over and over and over. Finally, God tells him to basically live with it and that it's even a source of showing God's glory and his grace. I believe this describes my struggle with homosexuality perfectly. Now, it's become a way for me to be who I am and accept God's grace for things I can't change. I am kind of afraid that these people are hoping that somehow just coming to their church is going to make me want to change. I hope they don't get their hearts broken.

5. I believe that it is perfectly fine to go to a church that may not agree with you. They don't seem to be too negative about it. I think it'd be a good choice to stay. But the moment they started preaching about how homosexuality is wrong, I would leave...

6. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you need the community, I think it is ok to go to the church. Where you live, I am not sure if there are any other options, but there are LGBTQ affirming churches, and you could look into that. . . ? I sometimes attend a Unitarian church that actually has a pride flag by the entrance and makes a point to work for equality for the LGBTQ community.
    I will step through the doors of my parents' church on special occasions when I am visiting them, but I can't bring myself to actually attend the church. Once the preacher did a sermon about it being "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" and that was it. I cannot go there anymore. However, I think many churches, even very conservative ones avoid the subject and don't necessarily preach about the sins of homosexuality. As long as they are not trying to change your mind, I think you can get along and feel close to people with different view points.

7. castle walls

I don't see any issue with you attending this church. You may even cause them to reevaluate the way they see certain topics.

If, for whatever reason, you become uncomfortable you may want to consider going to a church that advertises an accepting environment for the LGBT community. This site may help you find a church. If not, looking at specific denominations websites may help. For example, United Church of Christ has churches that they refer to as Open and Affirming. This site has a list of accepting churches of different denominations.

Also, this is a great video by Matthew Vines that goes over, in detail, the verses that are used against the LGB community. It is a bit long but it is definitely worth the watch.

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

Good luck! I hope I helped

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! Back up the wagon!

What does Chistianity have to do with a bunch of bigots organized as a church?

Chistianity is love, bigots are hate. Please don't paint all Christianty with the same coat of paint.

Have you read the "Gospel of Thomas", it was kept out of the bible. Keep in mind the bible was cobbled together at the direction of the politician Roman Emperor Constantine by theologians. Did any politician or theologian ever do Jesus a lick of good during his life? Would that change after politics a and theologians crucified him?

Read the Gospel of Thomas and you will see why politicians and theologians kept it out of the bible.

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

Follow the money.

Stuck

#8 skiff, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. twin soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I enjoy going to churches, only because I see christianity as my jumping off point to understanding spirituality. It's funny I don't believe most of what they believe, but I guess it's just something that I identify with. Honestly I think that's what all religions are.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

To be honest I consider the Bible the equivalent of a colouring book for a small child. A simple guide for those not wanting to do the heavy lifting to understand God on a one to one personal level.

My opinion... God wants thinking souls not dumb sheep.

Stuck

11. Deaf Not Blind

Hi!

I am a Baptist. I attend New Heights in Vancouver Washigton.

I am transgender, and I have not read in the Bible where it says we can't have Holy Communion if we are imperfect or human or Queer...I saw we are not to take it if not saved or if we have what I will call a bad heart. Was it that you feel you were so angry at God you can't have it until you can get right with him? He never leaves you ya know? I would love to discus with others ideas how to get straights and closeted Christians able to not shun or loathe and push away Queers. Feel free to message my wall.

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2013 at 05:01 PM ----------

i gotta add, why should all blacks go to a black church?
    then why should all Queers go to a LGBTQ church?
    don't all God's children have a right to commune with God and praise him in same church?
    who else should we exclude?
    i say we need to also shun cheerleaders...they are way too perky.

12. PeteNJ

Twin Soul, I get where you're at completely with this. I, too, miss church. The churches I most like are pretty evangelical, where, as you might expect, there are hardly gay bible studies ;-)

There are churches with gay congregations -- but not local (either in New York City or further south). Locally, there are surely gay friendly churches, but not evangelical...

I think its so important to feed and grow our spirituality, too. More things to re invent in living out!

Peace

13. B06SAJ1a

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you've got great courage, Twin, and I agree with you on what you said about Paul. I've been in and out of church for years and I typically attend the liturgical, sacrament-based churches. Even there, people have problems with homosexuality. I'm not currently attending. But if it's right for you, do what makes you tick. You certainly have my admiration and respect for this. "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's."

14. twin soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the encouragement! I didn't take communion because I felt that if I did they would think that I agree with them about everything. I don't want to send them into a flurry of thinking they're going to "save" me. Next time I might take it, once they know me and know where I stand. I see some debates coming, and that makes me excited. Like I said there is alot about "christianity" that I want to confront.

15. photoguy93

I think you're making a great step for yourself! I have seen (what has happened to you), happen to some of my friends, in really similar ways.

My only concern is about YOU. Can you handle the stress of this endeavor? Because it's not about you making a step and just going. This isn't getting back on a bike, unless the bike can bite you back.

No matter how Naive they are, they are plural. You are only one person. Are you willing to take a stand? Are you emotionally ready?

If you are, then I think you can make a statement. But again, make sure it's a worthy place. If they are young and you can make a stand, then I think they might be ready for it. But a lot of these people aren't ready to listen. I don't go to church because I don't thing it's at all possible to make a difference, in my area. So, instead, I am myself - a good person. I volunteer (ironically, in a church!) and I help others. You know?

What if you just spread your love? That sounds so wrong, haha, but I mean like, what if you helped out at the church, were the "nice" guy...etc, and just let your actions speak for themself?

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2013 at 07:42 PM ----------

I completely agree with this! Look at it like a non-spoken contract. You will be there to be your lovely self. And if they decide to essentially bitch-slap you, then it's over. They will learn!

16. Deaf Not Blind

well i don't see taking communion in any church as saying the humans in it are right in all their thoughts! haha! oh gee! we all fail there! nah, it is Jesus' command we partake of the symbol of his body and blood shed for us. It is saying to God we accept, we want to be one with the Lord...the rest partaking may go to hell for all we know, Jesus is the judge of their thoughts not you. If they claim something like you take it if you agree with all we say..it is your option but irrelevant. i mean you can go into Rome's Pantheon, does it make you pantheistic? no. you are their for your soul and worship your God, not of others egos. Now if they should benefit their soul by seeing you there...gays who follow God...you luck out.