1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been bullied because of your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theagonist, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a few times, when I came out last year (which I regret doing) at first, the people who I usually sat by at lunch (they were all guys) no longer let me sit by them, they yelled at me, called me fag, or if I did try to sit by them they would, all of them, or if they didn't they would act like it's some curse if they were the one that had to sit by me, but one of the guy's would tell them to stop and stuff; now he and I are good friends, but now I just sit by girls. For health class last year, we had to change into work out clothes sometimes (we have a school uniform, being a Catholic, though I not even Christian), we did so in the lockeroom, of course. The guys would not let me change with them, in fact they kicked me out and told me to change in the girl's lockeroom. I changed in a near by bathroom. At the end of last school year (the 2cd to last week actually), I was annoying this guy who was a loser but he thought he was all thug and stuff lol, and he was threatening me in the class before, he was acting he was going to punch me and stuff. To annoy him further after that class was over I stepped on his heels, then he pushed me down the stair there got on top of me (not in the good way plus I have standards trololol) and began punching me, I don't think he ever made contact, but broke his hand, he probably hit the stair lol, then I pushed him off of me. Though I don't remember it, apprently I stood up laughing lol... so I won lol... though I had a mild concussion :/. What was really stupid is that my vice principal gave me a worse punishment, though I did nothing violent, but he also did stupid things to my friend and my older brother (who graduated a year before this). And then the guy's friend posted a picture of his hand on facebook which was black almost and the description was "what happens when you hit a fag", then my mom saw hit, went crazy, almost figured out I was gay, but I denied it (still do!), and she showed it to my vice principle and he did nothing. This year nothing happened really, except: for soccer we had to change, in the lockeroom of course, and then some people didn't let me change with them... sigh. But right now pretty much everyone's comfortable with it and they don't really care, except my family; they will never know.

Sorry for the long story lol

2. Nixie

Wow. I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with that. I'm glad that this year it sounds like people are being a little more accepting it seems like, with the soccer stuff and all. I'm not sure what to say, I guess just, good for you for not letting those terrible people rule your life. It's impressive how you've stayed true to yourself. So, good luck! I really hope things start to improve for you!

3. Deaf Not Blind

turn it in. threats, violence, that calls for expulsion.

4. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out, but I doubt I'd get such a negative reaction at my high school. I know a few guys who are out, and are even public about dating, which does provoke a few giggles, but that's about it. Never seen any profound homophobia beyond the usual "That's so gay" stuff (personally, that's never bothered me, people really don't mean anything by it).

I think part of the reason why it's so different is that I live in Canada. Every school I've been in (been in 3, a small Grades 1-3 school, then did 4-8 at another, and now finishing high school), has always been very active about educating children and teenagers regarding homosexuality. Right from a young age, children are exposed to positive homosexual, as well as various other minority influences, which I believe has had a profound effect on homophobia. I've honestly never witnessed complete hatred of homosexuality. Sure, people joke about it, and sometimes put it down, but I've never seen targeted hate. I know of people (mostly religious, but even then, they're a minority) who believe it's wrong, but even they don't seem to particularly hate it.

That combined with the fact that the largest church in my town is a United Church (very accepting of races, genders, religions, sexuality), is probably a major reason why my area's so positive regarding it. I honestly have no qualms about coming out, I think the biggest challenge I'd face is just letting people know that I'm still the same person. The only reason I haven't yet is that I just haven't had any reason to. Until I start dating, I don't have much motivation to deal with explaining it to everyone when most of them I won't see much again after high school. However, it's my firm policy that the moment I'm actually dating, I'll come out. I have no shame in my sexuality, nor would I want to suggest to my partner that I'm ashamed of him or our relationship. And I'll probably make it public when I go to university/college/work, better to start friendships with people accepting from the start.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course I have. I had people tease my about being queer (they knew) before I knew.

6. speedracing22

I think it depends a lot on where you live. Where I live (NY) people are pretty accepting. My high school was in a rural part of NY about 80 miles outside of NYC, and we had a few openly gay students, and nobody really bothered them.

We did have some bulling though amongst other students, but not too bad. Mostly it was the typical "you're fat" "you're ugly" "your mom's a ___" type stuff. But nothing violent, and really not as bad as what you read about today.

What you went through sucks. The only good news I can give you is that college is way more accepting than high school. I remember on my first day at college I saw a few same-sex couples holding hands and it wasn't a big deal. Everybody in college pretty much does their own thing and minds their own business.

7. jsmurf

I was verbally harassed and threatened a month ago by some random punk on the street for holding hands with a guy. If that counts....

---------- Post added 28th Jan 2013 at 02:24 AM ----------

My first and only such experience.

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That always pisses me off when I hear shit like that, people ruining a perfect innocent, romantic moment like that. Luckily they seem to be pretty rare, usually all I've heard of is just odd/annoyed looks from old people, and sometimes good stuff like people giving the thumbs up ^_^