1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Roles in Lesbian Relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by listenandtell, Jan 28, 2013.

1. listenandtell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was looking to get advice about gender roles in a lesbian relationship. I've been with my gf for over 2 years and from the beginning we had "roles" - I was the top and she was the bottom. Now, she has come forward to let me know that she no longer is fully satisfied with this and wants to change things up, and get me to open up more. I have in previous relationships, however its been 2 years and I'm having trouble "letting go" and having her see me as the "taker" and being volunerable. I'm really stuck in my head on this one, and I dont know why I cant let go. I am thinking its because I'm the one who compliments her, is the most affectionate, gift giving, the planner for events / suprises, takes care of the finances. And now, I have to start, being more open to being the the bottom. This is a 2 way street. We LOVE eachother, and do have good sex, and an awesome life together. But she has told me that if this doesnt change, we wont last.

Any advice from anyone is in a equal relationship within a lesbian relationship - or has gone through this before.

thanks so much.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There doesn't have to be gender roles in a relationship. It's all based on preference. When I'm in a relationship, I do prefer there to be a gender role or dom/sub role. But I've known of very many successful relationships without them. I think you need to try and open up to your girlfriend. What I don't understand is why being the dominant one in the relationship means you can't open up. Even though I prefer to be submissive in a relationship, I would want my partner to be open and vulnerable with their feelings. Both partners being open and vulnerable is a good thing to have in a successful relationship. I don't think it's very fair of her to say she wants to be top now, and if things don't change then the relationship won't last. You two need to discuss this and figure out a way to take turns being the dominant one.

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi listenandtell,

My relationship with my (female) partner is very egalitarian. We both enjoy "bottoming" and "topping" one another, and there is no standard or fixed role for either of us. But this is balanced and spurred by a longstanding arrangement of shared responsibility and respect between us. We each have areas where we excel, and things we're each "in charge" of, because of that...but we do our best to make sure it all balances out and we're doing similar amounts. Finances-wise, we do the budget together each month...I created the structure and maintain the budget book; she sifts through the receipts with me and helps me assemble the amounts we're adding and subtracting. In terms of affection, compliments, gift-giving, etc., we're pretty comparable there as well.

It sounds like you *can* play that way, but that is not the current pattern between you and your partner. I would suggest having that conversation with her: to you, egalitarianism cannot be *just* a bedroom gig...in order for egalitarianism to work for you in bed, you'll need her to "step up" and play a more equal role in the responsibilities and "niceties" of the relationship. She may or may not be interested in that or willing/able to do it...but having the conversation will give you both important information. Be nice: it's not an ultimatum (if you want this, I have to have that)...just a statement of your needs, and what would help you to accommodate her request for sexual egalitarianism.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

4. Femme

We are both femme. What I miss most about dating a man is being a bit catered to in terms of I choose the movie, he carries the suitcases and takes care of the yard. Being equals can be a little annoying. In our relationship though she was married to a man for a long time, while I always lived alone before we moved in together. She was used to her husband doing certain things that I have no intention of doing like yard work for example.

Financially, she is definitely the bread winner and so that tends to put her in the driver's seat or the more "masculine" role in that sense. However since she has children and I don't, she tends to view me as the "husband" role which frustrates both of us.

Romantically, I definitely play the "girl" role in my expectations for romance but she is just not used to doing any of that and so I'm always disappointed in that dept. that has lead me to take the more "masculine" role of setting the stage for romance such as picking up flowers or earrings or something.

Overall, we split the roles in all areas except for finances. I make a good salary but hers is more than double what I make so I let her control the finances.

5. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    >< this is getting weird to me that this is taken so seriously.

That she would actually say that. Sub/dom is talked about here but what you're saying makes it sound so structured.

l'm not into that, this reminds me of years ago when a butch girl told me l couldn't be with other girly girls.

Now you see sub/dom within 2 femmes which is nice. But the sub/dom dynamic is SO strong. Why?

Don't people just like to alternate?

6. Akatosh

This is interesting. I have never been in a relationship with a guy, but I've put a lot of thought into which role would I fulfill. And, I for sure wouldn't be happy being exclusively one "role". I don't know what my partner will want, but I will definitely push to not have an exclusivity as such in the relationship. In my mind, I won't grow as a person doing the same thing all the time. I dunno the dynamics that are involved in such a relationship, I just want it to be "equal" across the board. I see it as sharing more aspects of the relationship. I'm not sure if gay couples feel "un-equal", but I think I would be in the same mindset as your gf. Are you afraid of not feeling in control? This could be a chance for you to grow. I hope you explore your gf's request

7. Tiny Catastrophe

Well I've been in a relationship for a year and a half with a girl and we're both femmes (I guess that's the right word lol) and we don't have "roles". Like we kind of switch at times. I guess I've sometimes seen myself in the more "male" role (the best way I can explain is to compare it to a straight relationship. sorry) as in like I do the driving, pay for things and stuff like that but that's only because I'm older (not an illegal age difference no worries) and at a different point in my life (I was also a year ahead in high school). I don't think that type of thing is all that important in a relationship.

8. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    same here. l really can't imagine going into a relationship taking these roles so seriously that you have the structure verbally laid out and don'w want to violate it.

Like, even with my relationships with men it wasn't this way. Mostly based on personality and then the dynamic developed naturally.

And would not always be consistent, l can't agree to be either one of these roles forever.

9. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, even though I'm mostly submissive, I do want to have a good bit of responsibility. I want to be able to drive the car, pay some bills, hold the door open, hold a job, etc. I was actually in a relationship with a woman 8 years older than me, and she refused to let me pay for anything. It got very frustrating at times.

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    u___u sounds a little odd, not to mention you were...12?

*minds own business*

11. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL WAT? O_O

I wasn't 12, lmfao! I was 16. XD

12. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lmaoo girl how old IS UUUUUUU. info box says 21.

OOOOOOOOOOOH.
    dERP.

DERP

DERP. "8 years older than me''. not "for years" READING DERP.

13. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HAHAHAHAHA YEAH!

I was in a relationship with a 24-year-old woman when I was 16. LOOOL
    I said 8 years older. Not 8 years ago. HAHAHAHAHAHA

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    lmao, im so glad l said something because l almost didn't.

15. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    lmfao if i was in a relationship with a woman at 12... can someone say statutory? is the monthly curse still affecting you? bless your heart. XD

16. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    u_______u lol

17. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  18. OMGWTFBBQ