1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at Work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Naomilly92, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Naomilly92

Ok, so I work for H&M, I love my job! (The majority of the time)

I've just transferred to another store, I worked at the previous one for about 6 months, but I wasn't really out to anyone at my old store, but I want to be more open about my sexuality and come out at my new store, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any help?

2. are you close to any at work yet? made any friends? if so might want to tell them first, might be a start.

3. Naomilly92

No, I've only been there a day, I haven't had time to make any friendships yet. I just want to be out so I don't feel like I'm trapped and forced to be hiding it, like I did at my previous store. One of my colleagues did make a joke about me liking men today and I reacted to it by coming out, even though I don't think anyone heard it

4. Rivers

I think you should go for it! I know what it feels like to be trapped, and it really sucks. I'm sure your co-workers will accept you for who you are (usually, most people don't care). Telling them that you're gay before developing closer friendships is far better than revealing it later on.

5. Naomilly92

I want to, I really want to. But I have this stupid 'don't ask, don't tell' policy, which means I never talk about relationships or attraction, but it means revealing myself to my co-workers, and I don't wanna seem like I'm pushing my sexuality in their faces by coming out on my own accord

6. AlamoCity

Humans are, by nature, curious animals. The topic of dating/love will eventually come up and that is when you can nonchalantly answer the question and reveal your sexuality at the same time.

If they ask if you're dating anyone, say "I haven't found the right guy yet."

If they say, "Isn't that girl good-looking," say, "she has a nice personality but is the wrong gender for me."

Eventually, your other coworkers will find out. This may take time, but the other alternative would be to wear a rainbow pin/bracelet (which may violate company dress policy) or to start telling everyone that you're gay, which would violate your "don't ask, don't tell policy."

7. Whiteboymdew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would suggest that if anyone were to ask you and you feel conformable on telling them than I think you should. If were to ask me at work if I was gay last year I would have probably told you no.

But if you were to ask me today I would say yes. But I am not going to go scream Im gay at the register I mean because personally thats not how I want to do it. I feel like if it comes up in conversation and if I feel good and comfortable then what do I have to lose.