1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could my attraction to this guy be turning to obsession? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badwolf4, Jan 29, 2013.

1. badwolf4

Hey guys, so I posted another thread earlier explaining my first crush in college. I'd appreciate any advice on what I should do with this other guy who I'll refer to as John.

So I met John around the same time as I met Sam (my first crush in college), about two weeks into September. We had a class together. Initially I was seeking to find someone with whom I had multiple classes with and I thought that John was in my math and history class, but then one day I was heading to math class when i thought was John coming in. Oh I forgot to mention that John and I live in the same building, just different floors. So anyways, the guy turned out to not be John and I realized that I thought that this guy and John were the same guy. I spoke to both of them and John thought it was funny and he wanted to find out who I had confused him with. So I only had one class with John, math. It wasn't all that bad though because we ended up talking to each other. Everyday after class, we'd walk back to our dorm and just talk. He'd joke a lot and lie about which floor he was in and what his name was, which was okay since I had thought he was someone else! John acted very childish sometimes and at others very serious. Back then, something in me wondered if I would end up falling for him but I pushed that thought out because at the time I was hanging out with another guy Sam, that I liked and I did not want to think about someone else because it felt wrong.
    At first I just saw him as a friend and nothing more, but he slowly started growing on me. Whenever I started to think about him, I tried to think about the other guy, Sam, instead and it sort of worked but the bad thing was that I thought about the other guy much more than I should have. During that time, I was friends with someone on John's floor and one night my friend invited me play paddle tennis with him and John. We played a bit, i sucked and kept losing and John was just enjoying himself. But while we played, he said he was sucking for some reason. He also would look over at me every time that he'd beat my friend and I began to wonder whether he liked me. Like I said, I liked someone else at this time so i had read articles online about signs that a guy is into you and one of them was showing off in front of you and always looking to see if you were paying attention when they do something like win at a game. Another time, my friend came over with another guy from his floor and John, inviting me to go out with them to explore the city. John was just smiling the whole time and I was just looking at him but I ended up declining for some stupid reason. I regret doing that now. We continued to talk to eat other in class and after, and after a while I began to play his games and also mess with him like he did with me. By mess around, I mean basically act immature like he did. He'd lie a lot btw, but in a trying to be funny sort of way and also 'because you thought I was someone else' way. He however did not like it when it was done to him. I had added him on facebook and he accepted. I invited him to dinner one night and he said no and I played around like he did by saying I'd plan it and it ended up with me putting wink and smiling icons on his page so he removed me as a friend. He then said he'd consider accepting my re-friend request if I were to not act like that again. He canceled the friend request once when I was on and just went to his page and poked him. I think I sent a request again and declined once more. The last time I tried was just before winter break. i was expecting him to decline but he didn't. He hasn't accepted it either.

Anyways, back to first semester. By mid October, the guy I liked and I had sort of distanced ourselves so I felt more at ease about thinking about John. I was not doing too well in math class but he was, so i asked him if he would want to meet up and study together for quizzes and tests. His reply was no because I'd probably bring him down with me. I finally told him, around November I think, that I was gay. By this time, I was basically open about my sexuality and everyone knew that I was gay. I was nervous about telling him however, because from knowing where he came from, I thought that there was a chance he may not be okay being around someone gay. He's from Texas, I admit I don't know much about how accepting they are but a friend of mine who is also from Texas told me that it was conservative mostly. John said something along 'So? I don't care.' I took it he meant that he was okay with it. However, unlike the first guy who I came out to and told that I liked him, I held back from telling John. Since we were not that close, i feared that he might stop talking to me if I told him that I liked him so I didn't.
    In class, we'd always sit next to each other. I'd catch him looking at me from time to time when I listening to the professor and I did the same as well. Sometimes we'd have good conversations and he'd be relaxed and talkative, but then I'd point out 'I like it when you smile and laugh, because you don't have to act serious all the time'. At this he'd stop himself and put on a serious face. He wasn't touchy either. Sometimes he'd write something on his notebook and when I tried to write on it he'd move it away and if my hand or arm every got close to his, he'd move it. So when we'd take the elevator to get to our floors, I'd sometimes get near him and he'd move back, sometimes at a corner of the elevator as my hands blocked him on both sides. I did this just to mess with him like he'd mess with me. One day though, as he was getting off the elevator, he said that he felt corned by me both physically and figuratively. I did not have time to ask him what he meant by that though because the elevator doors closed. I asked a friend what he might have meant by that. Her respond was that maybe I was being clingy and that he felt like I wasn't giving him space. The next time after class, I asked him what he had meant by it and his response was that sometimes I asked him questions that he could not answer. I'm still not sure what he meant by that.
    The things I did ask him where these: 1) "do you have a girlfriend", to which he responded no, and 2) i said something about whether or not he could do something and if his girlfriend would approve, and his response was that he did not have a girlfriend. Another time, I found out he knew Spanish, but I don't know how well. Anyways, as he was getting off the elevator one day, I said something like "eres un bonbon" which basically translates to "you're cute" or "you're a hottie" and I don't know if he understood or not. He also brought up one friday that it was going to be his birthday that weekend but he may not celebrate because he had a lot of exams that Monday. I offered advice telling him he should ask the professor if he could take the math test another day, but I began wondering whether I should get him something. I had a hookup that day that it was his birthday and on my way back I went into a CVS and decided to get him something. I bought him a birthday card, an itunes giftcard, and also added another gift card that I'd won but wasn't probably going to use. I thought that it wasn't that good of a gift so back in my room I looked up birthday wishes poems in Russian, since he was Russian and also was taking it. I found three good poems in Russian and I wrote them on the birthday card. I then wrote his Russian name on the envelope and was going to give it to him in class but he did not go to class since the professor had given him an extension, and so there was no point for him to go to class if he wasn't taking the test. I went back to my room and then decided to go knock at his door and give it to him but he was not there so I slipped it under his door. Later that day, as I was coming out of class, I saw him. He had class in the same building and floor as I did, but his started when mine got out. As I passed by him, he saw me and went for his backpack. He pulled out the card and started showing it off to his classmates. I just smiled because it looked like he liked it. I wonder if he knew it was from me though since I did not sign the card. However, weeks earlier, he had told me what his Russian nickname was and he said I could call him by that if i wanted to. On the envelope, I wrote his Russian name. I'd also told him way back a while that I knew a tiny bit of Russian. Maybe he knew and he took it out as I walked by to show that he liked it or maybe it was just coincidence. A few weeks later I brought the card up, asking if he had found an envelope under his door that week. I knew he had but he responded that he had not received any such card. He said that it was probably lost or thrown away and that I shouldn't have given him anything, that it was creepy and he walked off. I was hurt and puzzled as to why he had lied when I knew that he had in fact received it and opened it.
    As the end of the semester approached, my friends told me I should just tell him that I liked him and get it over with, since it was killing me. I still feared that he might stop talking to me, but I finally decided to tell him during the next to last week of class. On our way back I seized my opportunity when he said that you should follow your gut instincts sometimes and just go for it (he was mainly referring to answers you pick on tests but he said it applied to anything). I started to shake and could barely speak but I told him that I liked him for a while now. He looked at me and said "Okaayyy'" and he pushed both of his hands forward as though he were pushing something invisible that was in front of him. I continued. I told him however that I understood that nothing could happen since he was straight... "or are you [straight]?" I ended up asking him to confirm it. At this he looked at me and said in a very serious tone "Don't every ask me that again". He started walking a bit faster. once in the elevator, i pushed some extra floors along with ours and he got out saying "you always do that, i'm going to take the stairs" and then I began to follow so he went back into the elevator and it closed before I could get in and he said "sorry". The next time we had class, he sat next to me and smiled. he spoke a bit, and for the first time he sat a bit closer to me. Our hands were very close. But as soon as class ended, he ran out so avoid talking to me. The next class after that, he sat somewhere else and also avoiding walking with me. He was ignoring me just like i'd suspected. During finals, I ran into him and he actually acknowledged me and said hi. It was around this time that I send him the final friend request, but i was expecting him to reject it since he now knew I liked him a different way. But he didn't reject it, it still says friend request sent.
    I came back this semester hoping to not get involved in anything like this again. I'd pretty much stopped thinking about Sam, but not John. i saw him the first night we got back. I was outside the dorm building eating with my friend when he came out and saw me. He said hi as he went to get something to eat from the dining hall. On his way back, I saw him but I did not speak to him. As he was about to get into the building, he stopped and turned around. He asked me how i'd done and he told me about how he did. That was it.
    We don't have any classes together anymore. There was one class we could have had but I don't know which one he is in since there are many sections but I tried 4 different one and he was in none of them.
    I miss having class with him. I ran into him again on a Friday as he was heading to his class and i was heading downstairs for my next class. He just nodded and moved on quickly. I figured out what class that it that he has at that time and so three times I went out around the time I thought he'd get out and be on his way back to the dorm building. It worked and I ran into him 3 times. At the first 2, he said hi but then the third time he just walked by quickly and said nothing. Last semester i rarely ran into him outside of class despite the fact that we lived in the same building. Now I run into him a lot. Half of them i've done on purpose but the other half have happened by coincidence and when I least expect it. I also sent him facebook messages, one back in november inviting him to the play I was in, the other wishing him a Happy New Year and the other one recently inviting him to dinner with some of my friends. He's seen them but never has replied.
    Since he ignored me the last time he saw me, the following time that he got on the elevator that I was on, I did the same. And then again when I was going to dinner and he happened to be coming in. That was not planned. But I ignored him when I saw him with some girl that I think he'd been hanging around lately.

I also want to add something else. I don't what you guys may think but some of my friends asked me why i seemed to be wanting to rush into a relationship right now. They told me to just let things play out and that it will all work out. Part of me wants a relationship because of one reason. I've been with guys, so not a virgin, but they've been hookups and meaningless sex. Back in high school, I came out to a counselor who was part of the gay/straight alliance club and he himself was partnered with another man. Anyways, he suggested that I should try finding something meaningful like a relationship because perhaps that is what I was seeking with these hookups but those could not fill the void that I was seeking. So once I got here and met Sam and John, I felt like I could be in a relationship with them. I do want something meaningful and not just a fling. I really like John but my friends say that I am obsessed with him. Perhaps I am, but I don't know what to do. :icon_sad:

Sorry for the length but I wanted give a full story. So now you guys know quite a bit about me. Do you guys think maybe I was clingy and obsessed? Right now, I'm not sure how I stand with John. He was friendly at the beginning of this semester but after running into him a lot in just a few weeks, he may suspect (part of it is true) that I'm running into him on purpose. I just don't know what to do. Others who know him say he's really nice but at times he wasn't with me so that should be a reason for me to try and get over him. He maybe also be straight. However, I did tell my high school counselor about this and he told me that he'd bet that John was most likely conflicted about his sexuality. He said no straight guy would say what John say, and that they'd simple answer that yes they were straight. My counselor also pointed out that just because John may be conflicted and turn out to be bi, it does not automatically mean that he'd be into me.
    So now I have another theory and possibly explanation as to why John acted the way he did. My guess is that he's been conflicted for a while now about his sexuality and then I come into the picture. Open about being gay, I show interested in him and tell him bluntly that I like him. This scares him because he thinks that I know he may bi or gay and he doesn't want people finding out. This is what he might have meant by when he said i asked him things he could not answer. So it could be that he is bi or gay but he doesn't like me that way. What should I do?
    Part of me understand that I should get over him. And if I do, i'd like to still be his friend, but once I'm over him that other way. I feel like I should let him figure his sexuality himself and not intervene. Perhaps there is a chance later on that we might go out if he turns out to not be straight.
    what do you guys think? Am I being obsessive? if so, what would you recommend I do to not push him away? Should I just go see him and tell him how I feel? Should I just let go and wait until he comes and seeks me? Do you also think he may not be straight? Oh and on that note, I might have mentioned that lately I've seen him with what seems to be the same girl. The other day I was coming back from the dining hall and he and another guy were heading to it and they were each with a girl. I think this is a Russian girl possibly from his class. I was by the building where he has the class yesterday as i was waiting until it was time to go inside for my appointment and I saw him from a distance walking out with a girl. I think he may be seeing her or might soon.

2. care77

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, i have been in a very similar situation to this recently. I had a major crush on some one I worked with. There was the question of her orientation, I think she had been pretty straight up until this. I had had a few flings in the past, but I still considered myself to be straight. I told her I like her and her reaction confirmed feelings but there was no future to it. I still pursued for a bit, but now I am backing off, because frankly she will never come out. I was talking about it with a friend recently and she was adamant she thought nothing would of ever come of it, despite mixed messages, flirting etc. i hate to say it but your friends sounds like he is equally confused/scared. Chances are nothing will come of it and you will move on in time. I wish you luck and hope you get the response you seek. x