1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have... A DATE! Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheSeeker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. TheSeeker

Hey all,

Gosh it's been awhile since my last thread, so I'll try to make it good! I have been out for two months now, and a female friend of mine is setting me up with one of her male friends. Normally, I don't much like being set up, but in this case I am really excited. Sounds like a really good guy, and is quite attractive!

He's gay, and has been out for about a year. According to another friend, he just got out of a relationship, but since I am moving in a month, I have no issues being "rebound". He know's I am Bi, and has no problem with it, which is quite refreshing... I figured he'd go screaming into the night after finding that out. But no, he's still interested. FYI, he's 22 and I am 25...

So, my questions for you are rather vague, but I just need advice. I have never gone on a date before with a guy, and don't know how to behave. I don't know how to flirt with other guys, I have no idea how to show interest! I don't know what to talk about, how honest to be about my lack of experience or really anything. How fast do I move?

Yeah, hit me with advice guys,

-The Seeker

2. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Flirting should come naturally, the best advice I can give on that is to not try too hard to flirt, just do what feels right.

Don't try to act like someone you think he'll like, be who you are and show off your best traits! You wouldn't want him falling for something that's not you!

3. Minx

Don't be too forward with information, leave some mystery, in case there's a second or fourth date :wink:

Relax... breathe... and relax some more.

Good luck! :3

4. TheSeeker

Fair enough... Air of mystery, got it. As for the flirting, I am still so used to hiding my feelings from guys, that I am unsure how to get past that cold and aloof facade I put up...

5. Minx

I can relate as my defenses are guarded often.

I found that smiling just a little once in awhile, and not overdoing a lot of compliments works wonders.

Subtle can be very effective on a first date, and a lot less stressful.

Although if you're too casual and laid back, it might appear there's no attraction at all. :/

So adjust as things progress.

6. TheSeeker

Sound advice... Both of us know that I am only around for another month, so there shouldn't be anything serious, but what cues should I give if I want to move forward, and what cues should I look for in him? We're the same sex, so my skills at reading women are pretty useless...

7. Minx

Well, if you guys go out for drinks. Inhibitions might be lowered, and it could be easier to be more direct with each other.

Constant brief physical contact here or there is a clear cue. (Hand on his knee for a tiny moment, leg nudging, brushing your hand up against his once in awhile, sweeping some imaginary lint from his shoulder.)

If he initiates any of these let him lead, as I'm assuming he's a bit more experienced dating other guys. :3

And if you feel a little brave, you could ask for a kiss. Since you're leaving in a month, might as well risk the question if you feel up to it. ^-^

8. TheSeeker

Hmm... Yeah, this will be a lunch date, so there probably won't be too much drinking. I like the physical contact idea, but that will be a tough one for me since I am used to avoiding that... Also asking for a kiss seems better than just going for it, at least for the first time.

Any other pointers for overcoming pre-date jitters?

9. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In regards to your worries about the date, don't ^_^. That's one of the nice things about relationships with guys, is that dates are usually more about having fun, not sizing each other up like hetero dates often are. Focus on having a great time, talking about shared interests, etc. If you guys both like the same game, talk about it. There's no need to impress him, just focus on having a fun time. Pretty much act like you would with a guy friend, except when you feel like it, toss a little flirtation his way (like a charming smile, or a saucy joke, etc). Don't feel like you have to do anything though, don't try to plan "tactics". Focus on chatting about things you like, joking, etc. The flirting parts will just come naturally. And this is all coming from a guy who's pretty introverted, so I'm no George Clooney xD.

10. Minx

I agree with 4AllEternity.

Once the date starts, all pre-meditations go out the door for the most part.

If you two like each other, conversation and interest will come naturally

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that you got your thread buried that fast. First, I'm really excited for you, and I hope it goes well. I think if it does, this will give both of you critical exploration time that you need.

As far as how to behave, I'm not sure how much you want to take my advice, since I've only dated three people, and none of those ventures panned out. (Mormon girl, total fail; random hookup, who didn't want to contact me again; pretty self-centered guy I actually was legitimately trying to date, didn't want to see me again after second date.)

My strategy has been not to act differently. I don't treat it like an interview. I'm just being myself. I put in a tiny bit more effort than I would just with friends, so I'm watching for things like my manners, making sure I don't interrupt or dominate the conversation. I try to engage by asking questions of my date in a nonthreatening way that demonstrates interest. I think the key is to be engaged and be connected, but don't come on too strong. I don't know how to flirt, so I just don't. My view is that I don't want to date anyone who requires me to talk in code. So if you don't know how to flirt with a guy, don't. Just show that you're interested, and be courteous. The rest should work itself out. Let those knightly qualities do work.

12. TheSeeker

Thanks for all the help everybody! I leave in 20 minutes to meet the guy, so I hope I don't make a fool of myself. I will post about how it went later this afternoon.

13. Minx

*awaits anxiously* >_<

14. MichaelB

Hope it goes well for you man :grin:

15. TheSeeker