1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i see a therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by josh9623, Jan 30, 2013.

1. josh9623

i have just been feeling really up and down lately and feel like i have landed in a rut that im having trouble getting out of and i feel like im starting to slip back into my old habit of wearing a mask whenever im around other people. i have NEVER told anyone about this but i have (very) often thought about suicide and have come close but always kept the thought that i am unable of actually doing so but im starting to question that which scares me. i just feel alone and unable to reach out to anyone. i feel unable to really get close to anyone which has started to make me go back to feeling bad about who i am and i just really feel like i need help as i just feel like i am falling backwards instead of moving forward. i dont really know of any gay support groups around and the closest i have to that is the group of friends i hang out with at school most of which are lgbt but i dont ever feel comfortable enough to talk to them about it and i dont want to talk to my parents either

2. Mogget

Yes, you should absolutely see a therapist, and as soon as possible, too.

3. DMack

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I can't say I know what you're going through but suicide isn't the answer even if you try to tell yourself it is. Even though you don't feel comfortable talking to friends or your parents about it maybe you should try? It could end up being the best thing you did and you could really start to feel better. And if you still can't then for sure contact a therapist. I do hope things look up for you!

4. josh9623

what is the best way to ask my parents about it (seeing a therapist)

5. returning

YES, see a therapist, tell your parents, tell a friend, tell someone.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2013 at 10:17 PM ----------

Just basically what you said here,or whichever way is most comfortable and gets the information across.

6. castle walls

You can talk to your parents. I think the best way to discuss the issue with them is just tell them how you're feeling and you think a therapist would help.

If you think you need help talking to them you can talk to a teacher or counselor at school. You could also try talking to your doctor or calling suicide prevention hotline. They may be able to help you approach your parents about seeing a therapist

Best of luck!

7. Divopix

If you ever think "Do I need a therapist" chances are you should see a therapist. Suicide is never the answer. And as many times as you'll hear "it'll get better", it will only get better if it starts with you. So please go see a therapist or tell someone.

8. josh9623

what is the best way to find an lgbt friendly therapist, btw school counselor is not an option, and i dont want to talk to my parents about it because they dont understand

9. Mogget

Why isn't the school counselor an option? Because at your age finding counseling elsewhere without your parents' knowledge and consent will be difficult.

I'd also suggest that your parents might be more understanding than you think.

10. Divopix

I think any therapist is LGBT friendly. I don't think they would be doing their job if they were homophobic.

11. josh9623

the school counselor isnt an option because you can never get in to see him and when you do it always seems like he wants you out

12. castle walls

A school counselor should give you the time of day if you tell him that you are suicidal. Is there anyway you can tell him that this is very important an you need to see him immediately? Perhaps you can email him?

13. Divopix

I don't think it is a good idea to tell him you are suicidal if you don't wish for your parents to know. They have to tell your parents if they think you're a threat to yourself.

14. josh9623

i might be able to email him but i really dont want anyone at school to know

15. Divopix

I'm not sure what its like in other places, but it took me months to get a therapist through a hospital and to pay for one can be very expensive. I think you should try to your school guidance councillor. They can make a tremendous impact on your life.

16. josh9623

i might see what i can do as far as the school counselor but i wish it was as easy as it is to talk here and i hate that its 2:00 am and i cant go to sleep because of these thoughts

17. Divopix

I'm not sure if you can pm mods without being a full member but here is the thread for individual support.

If you're having problems sleeping because of what's going on in your head, you could also try Melatonin to help get you to sleep. It's natural and you can get it off the shelf at any pharmacy.

18. josh9623

i just hate my life right now i let my emotions out of the pack and now they wont go back in

19. castle walls

I know they have to tell the parents which is why I suggested it. Suicidal ideation is something that needs to be treated by a therapist. It will be incredibly difficult (possibly impossible, it depends where you live) to see a therapist without parental consent. Josh9623 said his parents weren't understanding and I think they might be more understanding if a professional tells them that there is a problem

20. Divopix

I know. I've been in his same situation for a year and a half. I have a therapist who I see every week and I talked things through with her and she helped a lot. I think I got better treatment by talking it out then I would've by just flat out saying I was suicidal. Of course if you think you're a threat to yourself and you will hurt yourself right now, you need to tell someone right away.