1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone close to me is dying.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Niqk, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You might think it's a relative or a friend, but in actual fact it's neither. It's one of my dogs.

In all honesty, we have 3 dogs and 2 cats. And out of them all only one of them (a cat) has been showing signs of being normal, the rest aren't exactly that good. One of my dogs, understandably, is fifteen years old and although rather lively still, is very confused at times, as well as partially deaf and her eyesight isn't that great anymore (cataracts) and my father started to worry about a patch of skin which he said 'looked suspicious'. Another younger dog (6) has been taken medication for the past few months, very very strong medication, if she doesn't, she will weaken again and probably die. But they have to stop the medication soon, as it is very strong even for human beings. One of the cats also has developed some blood clotting due to repetitive scratching behind his ear.

The real shock came this morning, concerning the recently very moribund 2nd dog of ours, sister of the latter dog, who had developed tumours above the skin on his limbs and his hip and butt. We were told that it was unlikely to be anything serious. The vet, had been unable to go anywhere with the samples and sent them to a professor from Hungary had reviewed them, he sent her the results this morning. Our dog has cancer, and he's going to be leaving us soon.

My father has to talk to the vet again tomorrow. I've never seen him that crushed, not since I'd told him years ago that a revision of paper from an exam had got me through to the law course (he was crying in a positive sense though, and he isn't one who cries). That dog has always been very simple-headed, he's so sweet and quiet. Somewhat insecure, but always a loveable mutt and a lot quieter than his sister, who is hyperactive. He hasn't been eating that much these past few weeks (but it's also part of being fussy, he didn't eat dog food, but ate the chicken meat we gave him). He's not drinking though, no water at all. We tried making him drink stew and it worked but he didn't drink it last night. We tried tea today (which apparently works well on dogs), he gave it two licks and stopped. He has been seeking attention though, as if pleading for help. Not sure how his sister is going to accept losing him. They are inseparable to every inch of the word.

My father still has to talk to the vet, but the signs are pretty bad. I really love this dog, and feel so sorry for him, you wouldn't understand how innocent and special he is. The vet implied that it will be impossible to provide treatment from the way the boils are positioned.

What should we do to make his last few weeks / months / whatever, happy?
    We still need the results tomorrow but she told us, that it's bad.

2. SomeNights

Let me start by saying I'm so sorry! Losing a pet and the process of losing a pet is NEVER easy. (*hug*)

As far as some fun things to make his last day better. If you can get him in a car and take him through the Starbucks (stake-n-shake has done it for me before too) drive-through and you get something, also ask for just a cup of whip cream.(make sure you don't tell them it's for your dog till you get to the window as "technically" they are not supposed to serve animals) Let him go at!

Also the car ride and fresh air it's self should be good for him :wink:

(*hug*)

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am sorry. Losing a pet can be extremely difficult especially if they have been with you a long time. They are our family members.

4. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sorry to hear that :frowning2: I hate losing pets, they are such a big part of the family.

5. x Wallflower x

I'm sorry he sounds like a lovely dog i agree with taking him out in the car i know my dog loves that but other than that just give him attention you're dog loves you just as much as you love him and i'm sure you've given him a good life thus far.

6. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anyone know what else they drink apart from water? He isn't drinking that. We tried broth from the stew, which worked for 2 days. But he is stopping now. We're trying a freshly squeezed orange (not the commercial juice).

7. SomeNights

call your vet and ask! Water is the easiest thing for a dog to drink. Plus your vet will know the specifics of your dog.

8. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My father has an appointment with the vet tomorrow. He's taking the dog, I'll have to stay home and calm his sister down (which won't work). They lived their entire lives together and neither wants to be separate of the other :frowning2:

9. SomeNights

How long has it been since he's been able to get liquids down?

10. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's eating mix more water with his wet food. If he's not eating, I'm sorry it's really not good. I lost one of my dogs to cancer 3 years ago...

11. DMark69

I am really sorry. I still remember the loss of my boyhood dog. He had cancer and was suffering. It was among the hardest things I have ever done still to drive him to the vet. He was just shy of 16, and I was 18... All these years later, I still cry when I think about it.

12. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He's never been much of a drinker. He always ate slowly or drank slowly, especially drinking. He stopped drinking around 3 days ago... (this was water). We've given him stew broth but he stopped that as well. We'll just have to give him food which absorbs a lot of liquids. My father is taking him to the vet while I control his sister. Fuck cancer.

13. curlycats

i'm really sorry to hear this... i'm sorry for you, your family and your dog and i wish all of you the best during this hard time.... :frowning2:

as for suggestions on what you can do with him to help him through this, i know that this may be stating the obvious, but try to make sure that he is painfree. have someone stay near him as much as possible and give him all the attention that he needs and wants. stroke him, scratch him in all of his favorite places and keep his favorite toys/objects nearby. if at some point he stops wanting to move around so much, don't force him to do so. bring his food and water to him and make sure the other animals don't devour it all before he has enough chance to make an attempt at eating it. try giving him real food, like cooked meat (excluding pork) & cooked eggs (never seasoned and cooked in minimal oil). if you want to encourage him to drink, perhaps boil some chicken in water and then serve it to him shredded/cut up with some of the water that it was cooked in? chicken thighs and drumsticks with the skin on make the best broth. :slight_smile:

sorry, i wish i could recommend more, but i know more about cats than dogs. :confused:

wishing you and your loved ones the best. (*hug*)

14. June Cleaver

I would start giving him Neutra-cal. It is a high energy tube of paste you can get at the pet store that gives them energy. I have seen it time and again get them going again. Honey or Karo syrup can work too. Sometimes the sugar energy will get them feeling good enough to eat. Pepto-bismol is good for them when they don't eat from a upset tummy. Your vet can perscribe pain meds if you ask and it helps one suffering. I am so sorry to hear of your trouble. June

15. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He is a little better today, but the cancer is going to kill him eventually. He'd be lucky to make 6 months, even though 6 months seems so little time...

16. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    (*hug*) So sorry to hear this Niqk....it sucks having to see someone you love go through that. I had a dog a few years ago who went through the same thing. :tears:

17. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We can't give it treatments. I just can't stand watching it get worse and worse until we take it to the vet and have it put down. It makes me feel hopeless and frustrated that I can do nothing to help it recover.