1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid of My Motives?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Monty93, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Monty93

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So here's the deal. I began to figure myself out during my most recent semester of college, starting in August of 2012. Since then I've worked on the acceptance and things like that. I've been able to tell a good number of friends I'm gay, along with my sister and brother, and everyone I've told so far has been completely supportive. Here's where my problem starts:

I have a friend here at college who is also gay. He was the first one I opened up to and has helped me a lot in figuring everything out (including a few drunken experiments that shall not be described here). We went back and forth for what I recall as about a month and a half. Then he told he didn't want a closet case and that we should stop with everything (he said closet cases bring too much drama with them). We've remained really good friends since then. In fact, he's one of my roommates now. The plot thickens!

Over the last few months I've been coming out, as I've already said to a few friends. But every time my roommate (let's call him F) learns that I've told someone, he gives me a really disapproving look. Later on he will tell me I need to be more careful. He says I'm trusting people too much and that I'm not ready to handle the problems that will surface if my parents hear that I'm gay. I'm trying to be careful with who I tell, but he makes me feel like I doing the wrong thing by coming out, like I should just stick with the lies for a while.

This has me completely confused. Maybe it's outlandish, but I'm almost afraid I'm telling people for the wrong reasons. I tell myself, and F, that I'm coming out because I want certain people to know. Though no matter who I tell, even if it's just my other roommate, he makes me feel like I'm going to regret it. He told me that he didn't like the fact that I'm in the closet. But when I try to come out, he has a problem with that too? I'm torn between which is the right path...

2. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you're ready and feel comfortable coming out to someone, then you should. Like you said, you're being careful. You're going at your own pace. It doesn't matter what your friend thinks. He may be concerned for you, but it's still a personal decision.

3. Minx

Agreed.

Coming out varies on each person, even the process of choosing who to tell and when. Do what you feel is best. :slight_smile: