1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potentially outed?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GlindaRose, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was on AfterEllen.com and received a message from my friend (The one who goes to Wells). Basically a few days ago she told me someone had found her AE profile but she didn't know how. This morning I got a message saying she'd found out how: Some guy at Wells had been looking for me and had found MY profile, and had found her through me.

The guy is someone whose name rings a bell but I don't really remember. I think he might have been at my old school or something...I texted my friend (who also went to my old school) to see if it rang a bell for her. Anyway now I'm really scared that I might end up being outed at Wells, and also really guilty because I'm effectively the reason the other girl got outed.

I'm having a really great time at keeping it a secret, aren't I? First my sister walks in on me watching 'The L word' and now someone found my AE profile...

Wonderful. *Extremely sarcastic*

2. TyraBanksIsFierce

Maybe you should just go with it and be right out to everyone?

Oh wait isn't homosexuality not allowed in Dubai?

Or is it just sodomy?

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. I heard that people can be arrested for being homosexual in Dubai. It would be a horrible place to come out. Thank god Wells is in England..

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Well, as long as your safe, I think that you shouldn't worry too much. Its not the worst thing that could happen and since your mum already knows, what have you got to lose? =]

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ty, thanks, but it's not all that perfect.

At Wells, there is a girl there who used to go to my school. She's in my year. If she finds out I'm gay, she's likely to report back to someone at my school, who will in turn tell EVERYONE. If this happens, the entire school will find out, including my sister, who I do not yet want to know.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

I can understand it must be scary. I wouldn't like to be outed at school a few months ago. But im kinda at the stage where I don't really care what they think. Why are you so worried about them finding out? Weigh the good's and the bad's.

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Goods:
    1.) No more pretending to be straight
    2.) More girlfriend opportunities
    3.) I get to watch 'The L word' without worrying about who walks in on me
    4.) I can openly swoon over hot female celebs, and not pretend to be into the male ones

Bads:
    1.) My sister finds out before I want her knowing
    2.) I don't know anything about how the people at Wells might react.
    3.) Let's just say that my sister found out and told my dad (Who doesn't know). What then?

---
    Okay I guess that makes more pros than cons, but 3 and 4 of the pros are pretty minor and something I can live with without coming out of the closet. Number 2 of the pros, I desperately crave; number 1, will be kinda relieving. Numbers 1 and 3 of the cons, I'd rather didn't happen because I just don't know how my dad and sister will react; number 2, the Wells girl said the school's very gossipy but not phobic, but still I'd rather meet them first.

...so, what of it? Come out? Possibly? Like, maybe? Take a risk? ...or not?

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Well, im obviously not going to pressure you to do something you don't want to, cause that'd be mean and I don't like the idea of someone being forced out. I'm just saying you seem to have a good opportunity here. Do you really care how people at 'wells' think of you? and what about your dad? Would he not be accepting or something..

9. Zec24

I'm a memeber at AE too. I love that site. Um, I think the bigger question is why this guy was looking for you on AE? Did you put a lot of personal info down on your profile? I haven't put anything that might lead to my being recognized. That being said, I would wonder about someone who outed me because they found me on that site. I mean, I don't know many straight people who know about that site, especially guys.

Maybe by the time you get to Wells the incident will have blown over? I guess you'll have to deal with it as it comes. Hopefully people will be mature about it though.

10. Ty

Ty Guest

Yeah thats a good point actually... whats a guy doing on a lesbian forum ? =/ I had never heard of it before now o.0

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently he was looking for *me* specifically and found me on that site, and found the friend through me. But I can't remember who he is and it doesn't ring a bell for my friends. I'm trying to find out if maybe he went to my old school or something...

As for my dad, well he comes from about as old fashioned a family as you can get so he might react badly..but then again, my mum said he'd be accepting (But she IS his wife so what else can I expect her to say?). I don't know for certain that he'll accept it the same way my mum did.

Thanks for the advice. Like Zec said, I think I'll just take it as it comes, and come out if it's necessary.

12. Ty

Ty Guest

Good attitude to have =] Keep us up to date on what happens ^_^

13. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Sorry this is slightly off topic, but what the hell - I visit AE all the time just to read the articles and whatever but I don't have an account. Are there extra features if you have an account?

14. Zec24

Not extra features per say, but you can post comments and make friends. Otherwise you are just lurking and reading like I did for a year or so. I like being a member though because it means I can respond to posts I want to respond to, that's why I joined. It really depends on if you just want to read the articles or be active on the forum.

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

AfterEllen.com terms and conditions:

You are 15 and in Dubai so you shouldn't even be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.