1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostStar0223, Jan 31, 2013.

1. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey there, world. It's me. I sorta gots me a problem... obviously. There's this girl that I'm best friends with and have been since the first grade. She is the only person that I am out to and I discovered recently that I like her as more than just a friend. The problem is that she isn't gay, or at least hasn't told me so, and if I tell her I like her and she doesn't like me back it will ruin everything. What do I do?

2. ZLH102089

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel for you. I am in the exact same situation. Hang in there.

3. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks so much

4. RainbowMan

So how do you know you love her? This isn't a prying question - I think that I might be in the same situation, but it's all so confusing that I don't know.

However, I'm fairly certain that my friend is straight (not 100% though) - so I mentioned to my therapist that it's not OK for me to have these feelings for him, and he came back with "it's not OK for you to have the feelings, or it's not OK for you to express them? Those are two different things, you know". I hope that little tidbit can provide some clarity - it did for me.

Hang in there.

5. Kay

Kay Guest

You might try telling her how you feel. If she says she has no feelings for you in a romantic way you continue to be friends. I would do just that.

6. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not really love. She's just my best friend and the world seems to center around her very often.

Thanks for that, by the way- It did provide a lot of clarity. I see what you mean. I hope that you find your situation less confusing soon.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2013 at 12:22 AM ----------

Dear Kay- How do you suggest I tell her?

7. Kay

Kay Guest

I would say you know we have been friends and i wanted to tell you I Have recently realized that I am having deeper feelings. You may not feel the same and I don't expect you would.
    I would never allow these feelings to destroy the friendship we have but I thought you should know.

You have placed the ball in her court and she will respond in some way. If she says wow I don't know what to say.
    You respond by backing off a bit "Maybe I should have not said anything I value what we have as friends far to much."

Again you have let her make the decision on where you go from there. This is done in private and gently when you are both in a good mood.

8. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks but she is never alone

9. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l was in love with my best friend. l never told her because it was an unspoken thing, we basically shared a brain.

She wasn't into girls, we fooled around just short of sex but she just wasn't. in a way l almost think she wanted to be, but she wasn't. Though she always liked kissing me, she said.

we never talked much about her sexuality or why wevwere making out, it was just something that happened naturally. But every time we got to a point where it could go further, she let me know she couldn't do it and l was fine with that (obviously lol).

You have to respect that with another person, straight girls especially cannot just become interested in women if they aren't so inclined, no matter how much talk there is about female fluid sexuality. Even if your emotional connection couldn't be much deeper.

just a warning rant lol, my friend was awesome so she didn't care that l was totally in love with her and that it was obvious. Not all girls will react that way, l'd try to be very aware of the subtle tones of your interactions.

10. Kay

Kay Guest

You are never alone with your best friend? You can't find a moment together? I don't understand this.

11. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She has a friend who likes her very much, and in this decides to take imitation as the sincerest form of flattery way too far. Meaning she follows Harper around

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2013 at 01:00 AM ----------

Sorry Harper is my best friend

12. Kay

Kay Guest

There has to be a time when this Harper is not around. She can't be with your best friend 24/7/365 If you have to call and set a time and say I would really like to talk in private without Harper around. Even if she says she would like to be better friends with you what do you do with this Harper? I am confused.

13. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm sorry I'm not great at explaining things :frowning2: Harper is the girl who I'm best friends with. I suppose you are right in that I can just tell Harper I want to talk alone with her after class.

14. Kay

Kay Guest

Sorry i misunderstood. It the hallway at school is not necessarily private. You have people walking by and going in and out of room and searching through lockers. I mean it really should be private as it is such an intimate part of yourself you are sharing. To do this after a class also does not allow Harper any time to formulate a response. She is in a rush and may balk because there are others around. She may feel inhibited in her response or even angry because you put her in such an awkward position in the halls of school.
    Walk her home and talk on the way. Visit her home after school and go somewhere.

15. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You are totally right. But she can't walk home by herself and I am not allowed to go places when I'm with my dad.

16. Kay

Kay Guest

Do you ever see her outside of school? Do you go to her home or does she come to your home? If it is this difficult to be alone how would you ever have a relationship?

17. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We talk a lot on Gmail especially, and a little bit on the phone. Often we are alone at our lockers after everyone else is gone (there's something called a ten minute policy). She has come to my house various times but I have never been to hers.

18. Kay

Kay Guest

If she comes over you might talk to her there.You could gmail her as well. It would be not so personal. May I ask how old you two are? That may better explain the situation because it is still very confusing. I have never had a friend where we have not had alone face time at length almost daily.

19. LostStar0223

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    we are in the seventh grade...

20. Kay

Kay Guest

Okay that works for me. Has she in any conversation ever mentioned some guy she is sweet on? Does she indicate she likes boys in any way or has she not even brought up the topic? Sorry if I seem nosy but I am trying to work out the best way to do this without ruining the relationship you have.