1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it weird that I am rarely attracted to straight women?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kgirl, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for yet another post on my journey of self-discovery, lol.

One of the reasons I doubted and still doubt that I really am attracted to women is that I rarely see a girl in the street and find her attractive in a more than aesthetic way. Equally, I have never been attracted to any of my friends. But if I know someone is lesbian or bi, she immediately becomes more interesting to me and I can feel a different way about her.

e.g. The woman who I met online that I have feelings for (who is currently being very weird with me, so probably out of my life for sure now), I can stare at her pictures/videos and I'm so attracted to her, and same when we talk, whether messaging each other or on the phone. I pretty much thought I wasn't into sex until I imagined doing stuff with her and then I couldn't stop thinking about being close to her, kissing her, touching her body, etc. I've never felt like that with a woman before but I have never got to know a girl in a 'more than friends' way before.

But with men I can instantly be attracted to a random hot guy, even though I have no desire to get physical with guys. And have never had much enjoyment from doing so. But having said that I have never found any of my male friends attractive either.

Does this mean I'm sort of demisexual... but just with women? :confused:

#1 Kgirl, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. Thehat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still figuring things out myself but I know personally that it took awhile for me to look at any guy. I would have crushes on guys and my interests were always attractive to me but I would say it wasn't until the last year or two that I'm actually like checking out every man I talk to.

I think a lot of it has to do with what society teaches us and pushes us to be growing up.

3. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same here! so it's not that rare, but I'm a guy and it's kind of in reverse; I've never really had a romantic crush on a guy, unless he also liked me... but not everybody of course (I've a stalker,, or two) but I am aesthetically/physically attracted to a lottttttttttttttt of people of both sexes, though I only want to have sexual relations to guys

4. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Consider it a blessing. So annoying when you constantly crush on people that you know are straight.

5. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, it might be a blessing if I ever figure out what it all means :S

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

Hmm really? I can't imagine being sexually attracted to a girl without the romantic feelings first.

6. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I'm not much help since I'm confused and questioning too, but I've found this applies to me as well. I have no idea what it means.

7. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm really? I suppose I tend to assume there's a possibility of guys being attracted to me (not that I'm super hot lol, but being a girl an' all). But with girls I assume they're not... so subconsciously don't take an interest. Who knows.

8. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't help you on the guy front. Generally speaking, as soon as I find out a guy is attracted to me it sends me running the other direction...which I'm thinking should probably have struck me as odd before now.

Or maybe you just call being attracted to a straight girl something else. I've always "noticed" other girls, which I thought was kind of an admiration or slight envy of them being hot. But I have recently realized that this noticing turns into a crush when I find out a girl is gay. So, I dunno maybe I feel like I need validation to acknowledge it as a crush.

Edited to add: Of course this is a total case of the blind leading the blind here. Or should I say the questioning leading the questioning. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt. Just wanted to let you know that I can relate. :slight_smile:

9. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I've always noticed girls... in a similar way to what you describe I guess. But if she is gay it feels more like attraction. Well, only some people of course.

10. TheCatLady

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

11. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to know others feel the same! Maybe it's not so weird after all then. But I've seen so many 'fallen for my best friend' posts that I thought it was unusual. Or maybe these 'friends' gave hints etc that they weren't straight or something.

12. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would be the most epic gaydar trick ever. "Oooh she's so amazing and I can't take my eyes off of her. That means she is totally bi/gay!"

13. aeva

I'm generally the same way. Of course there are exceptions (including a coworker that I was in love with for several years), but they're rare. Like you, I'll often think "hey, she's really cute" and wonder about her orientation, but as soon as I know a girl is into other girls I'm immediately more attracted/interested. I think it's sort of a mental defense mechanism.

A really attractive guy will have more immediate impact on me, but I have absolutely no desire to do anything with him physically. I only have one female friend, all the rest are guys, so the new people I'm meeting are usually male as well. When I found out a guy has feelings for me, it has no impact on me other than making me feel guilty because I know what it's like to be in love with somebody that can't love you back.

14. castle walls

I'm kind of the same way. I've never had a crush on a straight woman and I mean never. I thought I kind of did once but I later found out she was secretly bisexual

15. curlycats

i don't know about anyone else, but the bolded text above makes perfect sense to me.

i think that it might just be an inhibition as a result of social conditioning or maybe a natural, subconscious one to not presume that a woman is an option without something to warrant such thoughts? with men it would feel different because men have never not been an option...? i don't know if that even makes sense to anyone but me.

Kgirl, you asked if the way you felt made you demisexual. there is the possibility that you may be a demi-lesbian (or a demisexual lesbian or a demi-bisexual with an inclination towards your own gender or whatever other label you prefer), but i can't really say. for me it has always been painfully clear that i wasn't attracted to ANYone to the point that i seriously thought i was asexual. a gray-asexual or demisexual is essentially like an asexual until a connection is made to make them feel otherwise. for you that doesn't seem to be the case, at least in relation to men, which (for whatever reason) makes me inclined to think that it wouldn't be that way for you with women either if there wasn't something unconsciously preventing you.

but then again, i don't really know. once again it's like "the blind leading the blind" because i'm not exactly knowledgeable or experienced when it comes to sexual attraction. sorry. :confused:

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

It's not weird. I'm never ever attracted to straight men. If I know I don't have a chance, I just won't like them that way. It's a good thing at the end of the day, I figure.

17. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of feel the same way. Even if I get strong feelings or hints that a woman is gay, yet I don't know with 100% certainty that she is, I will still start feeling more attracted to her. If I know for sure that she is gay, whether it's because she's mentioned it herself or because of something she's said, I will instantly want to know more about her. This could be because I'm actually interested in her, or because it's just nice to know that there are other gay women around and that I possibly could become friends with her.

But honestly, I haven't really been through the whole liking-a-straight-girl thing. I hear about it a lot, but I've yet to know how it feels personally. Which is probably a good thing? I feel like if I knew a girl was straight, I wouldn't pay it much mind, unless I felt she was really leading me on. Maybe it's because I'm still adjusting in some way to my sexuality (meaning being out of the closet and actually being with other women), and so to start crushing on a straight girl would just add more confusion and frustration. Straight celebrity crushes are a different story, though. :lol:

18. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know! Why is that?? Lol

19. TheUglyBarnacle

IKR? I can also relate to the thing about romantic feelings, I think.