1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I lose weight?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theagonist, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm (a week away from being) 16, I'm a guy, and I'm about 5'5" and I weigh about 130-132, I have definitely have a belly - that I hate so much. I hate having my shirt off, and I get really insecure, I want to lose about 10 pounds. My dad said when he was my age he was 5'9" and weighed about the same as me, and also I read somewhere that a male my age averagely weighs about 124 and is 5'8, giving weight for height I weigh a lotttttttttt more than I should, I really, really want to lose weight and be skinny but I have no motivation to try (thanks depression). And when I tell my friends that I want to lose weight they say that I'm smaller than them which is not true, because she is very slender and fit. And I know I'm at a "healthy" weight, but it's ideal for me and I still feel very fat. And I'm really jealous of almost everybody who is skinny

2. PeteNJ

Find height/weight tables on the web. You don't sound overweight to me, but losing 5-10 lbs is probably fine. If you want to d

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2013 at 06:51 PM ----------

something about your belly, then you need exercise, too! Build up your core muscles and that will tone things up, too. And learn about eating clean - lots of quality protein. (chicken fish. Lean beef). Lots of green veggies. And cut out sugar and all refined wheat products !

3. photoguy93

Height weight tables might be right.

But I was expecting you to say you weighed, like...200 pounds or something.

I don't think you have a weight issue. I think you might have an exercise issue. Also, depression, you say? Maybe that has something to do with it. I think you're being overly critical.

Because weight is right in line with health. Some people are heavier, but very healthy. Some people are skinny but not healthy at all! I'd say make sure you are healthy, first!

4. Jordz

You sound fine to me, but if you want to loose weight then its up to you.But like I said you don't need it

5. LouisKat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you should try to work out and build tone more than actually losing weight. Since I do not know what you look like or if you have a very light or heavier frame, I don't really know if you are at a healthy weight or not. However, if you do indeed have a belly as you say, getting toned should help.
    Another thing, while depression can make it harder to actually start working out, sometimes regular exercise can help improve feelings of depression.

6. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

You're fine, you don't need to lose weight, don't even worry about it. You don't look fat at all in your pictures.

8. photoguy93

Ohh, so you're the one who posted! I didn't see the pic. Didn't you recently post a thread about asking if you were cute enough? I remember that because I felt really bad for you because you shouldn't think anything bad at all.

Can I just be blunt - is there something else going on? You just seem extremely hard on yourself.

9. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

well, I've been kind of depressed off and on for 4 years, I have very little friends - and one in particular is very uncomfortable that I'm gay, and I have emotionally abusive parents; I blame congress.

10. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I'm sorry to hear that, that's all very unfortunate. Just gotta hang in there until you can break free of that situation, go away to college and make friends who will accept you for who you are.

Of course you have all of us here to help you make it through your times of depression. (*hug*)

But dude seriously you've started multiple threads now asking about your appearance, and I think you've gotten your answer...you're not fat, you're not ugly, you're a total cutie pie, you have nothing to worry about. Any guy would consider himself lucky to be your boyfriend.:icon_wink:slight_smile:

11. Caleb93

According to this, you're well within the healthy weight range. Of course it can depend on the size of your frame, but you're still at the lower end in terms of weight, so I can't imagine you being overweight. If you're worried about your "belly" I'd follow the advice of the others and try working on developing your core muscles.

I saw your other post and I get the idea that this is a big issue for you. I hope you can get over this, because you're really a good-looking guy and there's no reason to put yourself through this.

12. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yeah.. I'm very insecure, well obviously

13. photoguy93

Well, the way that sounds, I am not surprised you have some issues - - well, a lot of issues. You have plenty of reason to be upset.

But before you spiral out of control, help yourself. Seek support for the things that are bothering you. I don't want to say "eating disorder" but I think that it could be very possible, if this spirals. You need to get on the right track.

As others have said, you are very adorable and are NOT fat. You're not even close.

We are always here for you! :slight_smile:

14. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ahh all of you are being so nice to me haha :grin:

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

well.. to be honest, I used to bulimic this summer :/ but I've gotten past it

15. Caleb93

That's understandable, since it sounds like you're dealing with a lot in your life. But you should really be proud of yourself for being able to keep on going in spite of all that. I know what it's like to be depressed. I've dealt with that for the last 2 years. Yeah it sucks, but I keep my chin up because I know I'm a stronger person because of it.

If you need friends, there are plenty of people here on EC who are your friends, including me. If you wanna talk, I'm here man.

16. photoguy93

"Oh a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to tell a fib." (Rose, aka Betty White, on The Golden Girls.)

I know you didn't lie. I just thought of it. Because that is kind of a big piece of the puzzle that makes a whole lot of sense now.

I think you have some issues, then, with eating disorders. .

What triggered it? Is it happening again? As in, is it over something ongoing (like your parents) or a new problem?

17. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really know what triggered it, I guess a plethora of many things, but parents were being extremely wrathful to me then. I was "talking" to some guy (who I never met), and then my parents somehow figured out about it, then somehow he figured where I lived and tried to talk to my parents.. thank god I was at soccer practice.. and he's wierd, I do regret ever assoating with him, and because of that my parents found out that I'm gay, but I denied and so did they... and now if I ever do anything "feminine" my mom screams at me, also I was being bullied a lot then too

18. photoguy93

Yikes... that's absolutely crazy cray!

Well, all I can say is that you need to find a place where you can be supported.

Don't feel like you did anything wrong. You're a teenager. You aren't suppose to just sit and wait for someone to drop into your lap. Just always remember to be careful.

Secondly, I don't want to blow it out of proportion. I hope you don't think I'm trying to. I just think you have some issues that could get worse if you don't find a way to work on them, you know?

19. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah yeah, I understand what you mean, unfortantly I don't really have a place like that, except for internet forums, and they're no really palpable

20. squally89

I weigh 130-135 and I am 5'6~ I don't think you are "OVER-WEIGHT" per se.
    I saw your pix and u look fine.

I say start with a good diet. Get in the habit of watching what you eat because you are what you eat, right? Do some cardio or find what you like doing, physically.