1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I only attracted to straight guys?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bballfan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. bballfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since I am mostly still in the closet, I have not met very many gay/bi guys. But the ones that I do know are very feminine and just plain unattractive to me. I am more attractive to more manly guys who are into sports as apposed to feminine guys who are into interior designing. I'm afraid that the majority of gay/bi guys are way too flamboyantly feminine for my taste. I'm sorry if this is offending anyone, but this is a genuine concern for me. Can any of you reassure me that there are guys that I would be attracted to out there that are actually gay too?

2. ForceAndVerve

In a room full of men, everyone's going to notice the flamboyant/camp guy. But no one notices the 5 other gay guys who act/dress like the rest of the guys. What I'm trying to say is the majority of gay guys YOU CAN SEE/KNOW OF may be feminine.

Take this forum for example. If you do some searching, you can find loads of guys who are "straight acting" and enjoy stereotypically masculine things like sport/working out etc.

3. akhc

there are alot of gay guys who are "manly guys" or ones that are straight-acting.

though i kno u say ur attracted to the more masculine ones u may find that its very hard to find someone if u too are "masculine"

from personal experience i kno that it is THE HARDEST thing EVERRRR to get gay guys to notice me..... becuz they think im dating my female friend whos ALWAYS with me.

not trying to tell u to be someone ur not or change ur preferences but i think some gay guys just act "gayer" so other gay men will know, and the need for that awkward "are u gay? and do u want to go out with me?" wont be necessary

4. Brent2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was thinking that too because I prefer straight acting guy too just same with me. And I met some before, so I guess you can still find for yourself. Good luck

5. Joey4

No worries. I find this to also be true for me. I'm not attracted to feminine guys..at all. Most guys I find attractive are clean cut straight guys. I find the chances of actually being involved with a guy are much slimmer for this reason because most of the time, the guy will be totally straight.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Some survey released recently found that about 6% of people in our age range identify as gay. So let's say that 6% of people are gay. That means that about one in every sixteen men you meet is gay. Would you say one in every sixteen men you meet is flamboyant/camp? Probably not. I would say that maybe one in every hundred men I meet is flamboyant. So that means that for everyone one flamboyant guy I meet, there are five non-obvious gay guys I've met.

That's probably the case in your life, too; for every one flamer you meet, you've certainly met several other gay guys that you didn't know were gay because they didn't stand out. So yes, there are gay guys out there that you'll be attracted to.

Generally my attitude towards these things is that it's alright to have preferences, as long as you don't disrespect people/a group because you aren't attracted to them.

7. MartyK

MartyK Guest

Have you ever been out on the gay scene? Only a small percentage of gay men are feminine so maybe some of the guys you have found yourself attracted to are gay but you're not aware of it.

8. You can't say that most gay guys are feminine. You even said yourself you haven't met may gay guys. Neither have I, because I'm in the same situation as you are, but I know for a fact that you only think that because you only notice the flamboyant guys as someone said above. I'm willing to bet for everyone feminine guy there is one non-feminine guy. Also, you act like it's black and white; There aren't just manly guys who play sports and feminine guys who do interior designing, there are guys in the middle. Actually most guys I know, including the straight ones (which are the overwhelming majority), they are in the middle. Last, not all straight guys play sports nor do they have to do so to be masculine.