1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by YOLO You Know, Feb 1, 2013.

1. YOLO You Know

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to come out to my mom but i'm scared I mean she has no problem with gays and I can talk to her about anything, but i'm afraid of rejection. Any Advice :dry::eusa_doh:

2. starmarie

starmarie Guest

I have the exact same problem right now. I'm not sure how to go about it, but I think that the nerves you get thinking about it will worse than her actual reaction. Maybe you can tell her that you've recently discovered something about yourself, instead of being too serious, and that you want to share it with her (okay that kind of sounds corny, but that's beside the point). I'm thinking about mentioning to my mom how I used to dream about girls (yes, I actually told her this because I share almost everything with her). And then I will tell her that I actually do like girls...gosh I hope it goes will. I mean, I know it will but still. I'm so nervous.

Sorry for for the ramble. Do you think she would reject you? If she's open to gays, I would think that she wouldn't. Maybe she will possibly just have to take some time to accept that her own son isn't straight, but if she is accepting of gays I'm sure that she will remember that you are still her son and you are still to be loved. (*hug*) I hope this helps and that it goes well!

3. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot of people get the fear of rejection even though they know their parents are okay with gays because they think it might hit "too close to home," or something similar - if anything is true, it is the opposite. When parents who are homophobic/religious find out their children are gay, they often times turn out more accepting than you'd expect. If you know your mom has no problem with gays, then finding out her son is gay isn't going to suddenly turn her against them.

Good luck!

4. Ripley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yolo

14. your young yet . I know you know who you are . I came out at 15 and it was fine. For many it isn't .

your mom may be very ok about gay people and she may even know you are already . However even if she's laid back and you can talk to her , it will still take time to adjust even if she is aware.

Follow your gut. If you decide to come out to her remember it's a process for her too.

I hope to hear how it went.

5. DDT

DDT

Yea just follow your gut like Ripley said. I was so worried about telling my mom and anyone for that matter it really got in my way. If you can have the balls to tell her this early in your life then it wont become a block in the road of your life. For all my worrying it wasnt bad at all and in the end I am closer and more true to my mom. Don't rush it tho but know that she will love you.

6. themonkey319

Watch other people do it! This helped me a lot. Feel the anxiety they feel going into the conversation. Listen to the things the parents say or ask. Just get a good feel for what to expect, not just from them, but from your own head! It will be going a million miles an hour while you do it so if you realize that going in, you may be more able to be lucid and calm about it. Good luck, I hope you're able to be successful with this at such a young age. As long as you're in a healthy environment, you will do yourself so much good by doing it sooner than later.

[YOUTUBE]GESBUlXBCvE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]5RO2rUinWrw[/YOUTUBE]