1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a Smoker

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by squally89, Feb 1, 2013.

1. squally89

Hi friends,

So it's my first time dating a smoker and although I don't have a problem about it now, I do know it could be a potential problem in the future.

My problem about is:
    A) It's bad for your health (Can you please live over 50 please?!)
    B) It's an addictive behaviour (yes the classic "I can quit" motto will get old)
    C) It's an expensive habit (Why not put that money into buying ME a ...say valentine's gift :icon_wink)
    D) Does it actually help you "de-stress" or is it simply a placebo?
    E) I will never get tired of saying "Did I order smoke salmon today?" after we kiss (haha)

Funny snotty comments aside, I only know this guy for like a month and he's been pretty honest about how many times he smokes and he would NEVER let ME smoke (lol) and that he tells me he will quit on his own time and he will not be influence by others wanting him to change (oh scorpios~)

Have anyone dated a smoker or is a smoker dating a non smoker? Just want to know how the dynamic is.

2. Minx

Past ex was a smoker, incredibly polite though. He'd leave the room I was in so I didn't cough. He smoked a lot less when together with me.

So he might curb his habit a little while with you. :slight_smile:

3. squally89

Yes he doesn't smoke as much when he's with me. His roommates smokes so he would join them if they're with him.

He would tell me he's stepping out and when he's back he would immediately brush his teeth and mouth wash before kissing me. I don't want him to feel bad or become a closeted smoker.

4. elietto92

elietto92 Guest

I have and believe me, not a good idea. He smelt, and I just couldnt go near him. I would always put my hand over my nose while he smoked. Id rather date a nonsmoker.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Aw thats so considerate!

I haven't been a relationship, ,but I would quit cigarettes for him, but not marijuana :lol:

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l have dated smokers. lm an ex smoker since 2005. l truly do not find it that gross and cannot bring myself to be concerned about any of the things in your alphabetized list lol.

edit:as long as lm never asked for money.

7. PeteNJ

When you're in lust and love, it's easy to overlook a little thing like smOking. ;-)

Done it several times. Though for LTR it would be a deal killer

8. aeva

Almost all of the people I've dated since I started smoking (high school) have been smokers as well, but I have dated one non-smoker. I would never smoke around her (she was a gymnast, and therefore very health-conscious), and would brush my teeth/use mouth wash and change clothes if I had a cigarette right before going over to her house. Although we weren't dating for THAT long, it was never an issue between us.

For me, it definitely does help me with stress. My job can be physically, psychologically and emotionally draining, and a cigarette on my lunch break and at the end of the work day are often exactly what I need. I also have some pretty tough emotional issues that become quickly overwhelming, and smoking helps with that too. It forces me to sort of take a time out for a few minutes and collect my thoughts.

I am the type of person that will ALWAYS ask others if they mind if I have a cigarette in front of them. I have several friends with severe asthma that really can't be around smoke, and I am 100% ok with refraining while I'm with them. My parents are aware that I smoke, but I know they don't like it, so I would never smoke in front of them and do my best not to smell of smoke when I have one while I'm visiting them. I think as long as everybody is respectful of each other, it shouldn't cause any problems. As the non-smoker, I think you should be mindful of this: being respectful not only means that they are conscientious about their habit and how it effects you, but it also means that you should not place pressure on them about it unless they make it clear that they want a motivation to quit. Even though you are looking out for their health (and even though they know this), that type of thing will quickly cause resentment and possibly deception. I have a friend whose girlfriend thinks he quit smoking 6 months ago, and he has to hide whenever he has a cigarette, just in case somebody who knows his girlfriend sees him!! Definitely not an ideal situation...

Good luck!!

#8 aeva, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. squally89

Did I mention he smokes weed as well? Haha, but not all the time, occasionally.
    I can understand why he likes doing it, but hopefully by the time we are in our 30's things will change. Uhh yes I thought about the ...very far future...uhh m.b I should just go with the flow. Who knows if we would even last THAT long.

Maybe he's being so considerate bc we are in our "honeymoon" phase~ Only time will tell.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2013 at 03:58 AM ----------

Agree. I wouldn't want to piss him off~ Me being me, I can be a control freak and he likes his independence. There's no perfect couple in the world, but I am certain the day we get into an argument it will be explosive. Hopefully we will be able to piece together the fragments ><" Yes I am using astrology between a leo and a Scorpio~

10. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    My ex girlfriend was a smoker, but she only smoked when she was stressed. It would drive me nuts because I could obviously smell the smoke on her but she would deny it. I just wish she would have been honest with me. It's good that your boyfriend is honest about his smoking habits and doesn't smoke around you!

11. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I went on one date with a smoker and that was enough for me! Smoking and drinking are my two major relationship deal breakers

12. Rexmond

Never dated before, so I don't know if this counts lol. Teacher at my school smokes and drinks (obviously not at school) but in his own time, and obviously he knows his limits. I dont mind at all, he's the nicest guy I've ever met. The smell is noticeable, especially on his breath, but I've gotten use to it - and I actually enjoy it.

13. Jordz

I kinda like the smell of smoke :slight_smile:

14. -Michael-

If you don't like it or know it'll be a problem.
    Make them aware now.

My ex didn't have an issue when we were first together, then he wouldn't shut up about it.

Very annoying.

15. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds really odd, but my dad used to smoke and is really the only smoker I've known. I hated him smoking and was so glad when he eventually quit, but now when I smell someone smoking I kind of have a comforting association with it... reminds me of my dad I guess :slight_smile: I don't hate the smell at all.

Having said that, the fact it reminds me of my dad may also put me off kissing someone who smells of smoke lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, it would be a deal killer for me for several reasons.

First, while there is a relaxing (read numbing) effect from tobacco, one's body quickly habituates so that the effect is no longer one of dealing with stress, but simply feeding an addiction.

Second, nicotine has been found in studies to be equally addictive as heroin, and quitting is not easy, so most likely, if he continues to smoke, he will become a pack-a-day smoker if he isn't already.

Third, the "I'll quit only when no one is encouraging me to do so" bullshit is just that... bullshit... and if that's happening in the honeymoon phase of a relationship, it indicates someone who is selfish and not terribly interested in your wants or needs.

Finally... the weed smoking, combined with the cigs... is likely an indicator of someone who probably doesn't have good coping mechanisms (outside of using substances) for stress, and he's likely at pretty high risk of addiction to other drugs.

I'd be really cautious, and if it were me, I'd have a sit-down conversation about wanting a relationship with someone who is emotionally healthy and willing to face their problems. It is absolutely miserable, not to mention grossly emotionally unhealthy, to be in a relationship with someone with addiction issues. While the cigarettes by themselves aren't a big problem in terms of addiction, the fact that he also smokes weed *and* is saying he uses both to deal with stress is a huge red flag for future addiction problems.

17. June Cleaver

It sounds to me you just need to break up with him now. If he was the right one you would love everything about him just as he is! You would not want to change one hair on his head if you could. Everybody has faults and when you fixate on one bugging you like this early on in a relationship it is a bad omen. So if he needs to change to make you happy; forget it!

He will end up resenting you for pressering him into something before he is ready. Smoking is a hard thing to quit, and on the other side of the coin you must not be the one for him either. I am a 2+ pack a day smoker and have been a smoker daily since 16 and I am 40 now. So we are talking a lot of years now.

My man is not a smoker. He had never given me any sort of shit about it not once, he completely accepts me faults and all, but my love has grown so strong for him he inspires me to be the best woman I can be. So in the past patches, pills, and gum did not work for me.

For him I moved to BLU electronic cigs which have no smoke or bad odors and work well for me. He noticed right away that I cared enough about him to change my bad habbit for his comfort and our health.

The bottom line is he did not have to ask; I allready knew and cared enough to change my bad habbit for his comfort. I also want us to have as many years of life as possable. If he had bugged me about it like my ex did, it would not have helped just caused resentments. The key is I had to want it bad enough! Good luck! June

#17 June Cleaver, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  18. GayJay

Well i smoke, cant say ive smoked long sinse im only 17 but its been about 6 years.
    My ex girlfriend acted like she didnt have a problem with it when we started dating after like 7 months it began to piss her off. I would smoke less around her anyway, and make sure i washed my hands and brushed my teeth, or chewed gum if we were out. She started throwing the hints she didnt want me to do it or show mt how bad for my health it was.
    It started to annoy her more and more and i kelp saying id stop, but told her if she pressures me to stop that will make it harder. That is true, if you keep telling him you want him to stop it will fustrate him and make him feel bad about doing it but prob wont stop him.
    Yeah anyway it just got worse until after like a year of us being together she said, i cant be with a smoker, you have cigs or me. Worst decision ever, although i really cared about her i just couldnt kick the habbit, and the fact she was prepared to leave me because of it said to me 'well she doesnt care about me enough to look past it.' And i then just started lying to her about it. I didnt ever stop smoking but i did cut down, i wouldnt have ever directly lied to her about still doing it but while she didnt ask i didnt tell.
    Also just wanted to answer does it really stop you being stressed. No it doesnt, when your stressed your heart rate goes up, you get the craving that you need to smoke even though that has nothing to do with the situation. Smoking then increases the heart rate, so your just furfulling an adiction not helping stress.

19. i only ever have dated smokers and i dont smoke.
    didnt bother me in the slightest, well it did but i can tolerate it you know. chain smokers are a no no but occasional fag here and there throughout the day is fine imo. she would smoke around me but not excessively.

i didnt like the fact when i left her house i would smell of smoke but thats what a washing machine is for and a shower. so i got rid of the smell when i was home. its easy to get rid of the smell but in time i grew to like the musky smoker scent... like not the 'ive just smoked' scent, but the smell that lingered for a few hours after having a fag. im weird though so.

but it sounds like you dont like this guy enough if him smoking is that big a deal to you, if its that much of a deal now whats it gunna be like in 5 months time :s

20. squally89

I don't think for me it is a deal breaker if my partner smokes or not.
    We brushed upon this topic and at this point I don't feel the desire to "monitor" his smoking habit. That said I am anticipating the future of events and that this could maybe possibly be a problem (if he becomes ill or something).

There are a few strong responses to the relationship dynamic between a smoker and a non smoker and I want to thank you for the "reality check" (tough love!). Only time will tell if things will be...smooth sailing or crash and burn~