1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone look gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Theagonist, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Anyways, last year I remember in class a guy told me that it makes sense that I'm gay because I look like I am, and I just randomly thought about it. Keep in mind that my class has a uniform so there's no way that I can fit into a stereotype there. I was wondering if some gay people actually do look they are gay. And What does that mean, I mean you don't just say "heyyyy you look mighty often straight d'air kid". I do have a feminine face, but I have the same face as my brother and my uncle, and they look (and are) fairly masculine, well my uncle cares a lot about his looks, but he's married to a gorgeous woman who's an actress and she's been in True Blood actaully. I am getting off subject; thank you ADD. I do have those moments where I'm like: "well he or she seems like they're gay" by how they look, though I know not all gays are the basic archetpyical gay... concluding that we're all reptilians and can sense each other, of course

2. Brenny

Well there is some scientic stuff about "gayface." I forget the article but there are ideas about what it is about the face that people can pick up on that idicates a person is gay. I believe they showed that it is independed of hair style too. One idea is that in many cases, gays use their facial muscles differently than straight people. For example, with guys, they may use more muscles around the mouth and eyes like a woman usually does. I got the impression gay guys will bascially use more expression, and different facial muscles more or in different ways than a striaght guy tends to. I'm not sure how proven this all is but it makes sense to me.

As far as simple face features being common among gays... I'm not sure. I suppose it could be possible but I've never read too much about that, just about expressions and muscle use.

3. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah you can look gay, and yeah, you fit the look.
    Don't worry, I do too, it's a good thing :wink:

Of course not all gays have that look and not all people with it are gay.

4. akhc

maybe i have a really bad gaydar but i can never tell when im looking at someone

but im sure there are stereotypes out there that people will associate with being gay. I mean whenever i see a man dressed lke a mannequin from american apparel or someone who looked like they jumped out of GQ magazine i immediately question their sexual orientation.

stupid, i kno

5. DeanIsHome

My gaydar must be on crack cause I can't tell, every time I have my speculations they end up going out with someone and everyone just says that there metro-sexual so even the stereotypes don't work.

6. -Michael-

Yes.
    [​IMG]
    Yes they can.

7. Motov

Flaming queens,... you betcha, certain haircuts

8. Ditz

Funny thing, just had this discussion with a gay buddy of mine walking trough a packed mall in Johannesburg, a few days ago. I told him isn't it weird how you can just scan trough all the people and just spot all the gay guys... Even if you can't see their face. There must be a subliminal something that we project, I don't know what it is, because you can be as straight acting as your average jock or a flaming queen and its just there, you can spot them a mile away. My buddy, who is much older than me recon it is nature, that we project an aura that other gay guys can pick up and that it becomes more accurate and sharper the older you get.

I don't know about auras, but it sure is an interesting phenomena... In my opinion, hairstyle, posture and the way someone looks and reacts with the people around them can be gay, as in highly stylised hairstyle, straight neck and back in posture and the way clothes are worn, the more tailored and neat look... Then the way the person interacts and looks at other guys... Eye contact, hard to describe but it can all look gay I think...

9. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

THIS!

I think it has more to do with how you present yourself and the way you act than the way you naturally look.