1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what I want.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nomalimae, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Nomalimae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm usually pretty sure of myself. I know, for example, that I have feelings for a friend of mine back home. I have for a while now. When I went back for Christmas I saw her again, and something happened to make her very upset at school (I was visiting). I offered her a hug, and she accepted, and bam, back came the emotions.

I've got a few problems, I guess. For one thing, I don't know how she feels about me, or if I even want her to know how I feel. She know's I'm gay, I don't hide it.
    Another issue is that I don't actually know how old she is. Age never really mattered to me, but I guess in this case it does since she could be under 18. I don't want to ask because I've known her for ages.

Keeping in mind that I don't know if I want her to know, I've been on a dating site for a couple of months now. I've talked with people, but never actually met up yet. I don't know if I want to or not because of my mixed feelings about that girl.

I guess I just want to know other people's opinions on my situation. Experiences, thoughts, questions; anything.

Thanks ♥

2. ohyoudodoyou

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah love's a bitch, ain't it!?! I have been in love with my best friend for a few years and never managed to bring myself to tell him (or tell him that i am gay for that matter). Part of me wants to tell him, that same part thinks that if i do tell him, he will suddenly declare his love for me and everything will be peachy. The other part of me would rather he never found out and that i go on living, hoping that something might happen. I have read many experiences and spoken to people online about it, they all say the same thing, that i should take a step back and try put some space between me and him.

He went to London for a few years and we drifted apart. During that time i met a few guys whilst out, swapped numbers, but when it came to actually going on dates, i couldn't bring myself to. Even though i thought i was over him, it was the memory of him that stopped me. Then a few months ago he came back, within seconds of seeing him, every emotion that i had tried so hard to get rid of came flooding back and now i am back at square one.

That is my situation, i found the one person on the planet who is perfect for me in everyway, but i am not perfect for him. I can't really offer advice because i am still in this situation. All of my friends are setting up home with their partners and i am living in a shared house and constantly feel lonely. If i was in a position to give advice out, this would be it. Don't rush to get over your crush, but don't be afraid to go on dates. I have wasted to many years dwelling over this guy, at the end of the day what it boils down to in my situation is do i want to risk loosing a good friend?

Part of me thinks tell him, if he runs off it will be easier to get over him. The other part of me says don't tell him, i want him in my life, if that means i have to watch as he meets a girl and settles down so be it. Either way i loose. I guess that the reason i never allow myself to date anyone else is because i have set the bar impossibly high.

Just reading that back to myself, i realise i haven't offered you any advice, opinion or anything; instead i have just told you about my situation.

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:13 PM ----------

I guess what i was trying to say is:

Don't be in a rush to get over her, in my experience it doesn't work; but don't put your life on hold either. Go out and meet new people, i am not saying go on dates for the hell of it; but don't be afraid to meet people and you never know you might meet someone who gives you the same rush.

Life's to short to spend dwelling on things, sometimes its best not to ask/tell and to just accept what you have.

Now if only i could do that