1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to find someone with the same interests as me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yogabear, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Yogabear

Yogabear Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Where would you guys and gals think a blind person could find someone with the same interests as me? Seeing how the western society is based on visual stimulation that its hard to find anywhere to mingle with like minded people. I don't want a blind guy as a bf either even though many people in overall society would love to see that happen. Lots of lgbtq individuals go to bars, movies, plays and the alike that many of which aren't accessible to in non-super metro cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, etc so that isn't an option with me.

I'm sorry so far I'm sort of disappointed in my real life interactions with thelgbtq group as a whole towards disability diversity. I've seen no leaders yet who have disabled partners but there is a Blind-Pride e-mail list. This is moderately successful not what I'm looking for exactly though. Any ideas on how to interact with the sighted for possible partners in a southern urban city or what would you do? There is this aire of what are you doing here with us in the gay community towards us that I feel. It really badly hurts me to feel not part of any group that isn't affiliated with just other disabilities. Thanks for any ideas, thoughts and suggestions because I want out of this house! No suggestions with alcohol please trying to quit (12 days remember!) so anything other than that and any online resources you would suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yoga

2. lxlJDlxl

Try joining a group or organization and try to be friends with everyone on the group. Maybe that way, you'll meet someone of the same interest.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Yogabear

I was just on a gay mens' retreat week with 30 men.
    Everyone was sighted apart from one blind man there. Complete with guide dog.

I really fancied him - he was so nice and a real charmer .. but - to my disappointment - he paired up with another sighted guy and they are a real couple now!!

You can tell from this example alone that you do not need to compartmentalise your life or restrict yourself - or place limits on your ambitions. Try and dissolve away those barriers and you might be surprised where it leads you

If you can find one, a residential week with a few dozen men allows you to really get to know people ... far better than the odd evening here and there.

Even if not a dedicated LGBT week, the chances are that in ANY organised event there will be one or two LGBT people in the group .. if not more.

Adventures await you ...

4. Rexmond

One of the teachers at my school has almost identical interests as me. He's the biggest animal lover I have met in person. I have been close with him for a while now, and honestly, I am worried that when I'm looking for a partner I'll never find anyone like him. But when I did work experience [at a pet retail store] I met a man who loved animals too, but not as much as my teacher. He wasn't as attracive either, but that's not the point. It made me realise that somewhere there could be my perfect man.