1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexuals. A legitimate question.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JustARaconteur, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's only recently (within the past year) that I've become aware of people who identify as pansexual. My question is, what do you say to people who tell you you're just bisexuals trying to avoid the negative connotations which come with it?

Also, is my understanding correct? You see past gender and love the person, not who they are?

Please don't think I'm judging or prying, I want to further my understanding.

Thank you.

2. Bree

If people don't know anything about orientation, I usually tell them that pansexual is the more politically correct word for what most people define as bisexual..and that most people who consider themselves bisexual are more similar to pan. Then I explain how "bi"sexual could mean that one is attracted to any two groups, such as male and female (which is rather limiting) or anything else--bears and female cross-dressers, anyone?

Pansexual...The sex and gender of of a person has no influence on whether or not I find them attractive. Not relevant information.

3. curlycats

if someone insists on me being "just bisexual", i would say "sure, whatever, but there is more to it than that." depending on the person, the conversation may end there or i may try again to explain what pansexuality is to me. that is to say, that i would once again explain that there are more than two genders, that gender actually exists on a spectrum. that i have the potential to fall in love with anyone regardless of their gender and regardless of their sex, and while there are bisexuals who feel the same way, i identify as pansexual because pansexuality is specifically about that kind of attraction. yes, it is a subset of bisexuality, but i would appreciate it if their understanding went beyond bisexuality. however, at the same time i don't give a damn if it doesn't because i see it as their problem, not mine.